Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    A Moderator cannot Moderate 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I would guess that a minimum of two would be required for each sub forum to cover vacations, date nights, and any number of occasions where one moderator would be unavailable.

It perhaps could be done with less. Right now, I believe only three have stepped forward. I doubt that's enough. We really can't design any system until we know how many can help and how much each is able to do.

Perhaps your right, but I just counted 7 maybe 8 total moderators in the Member list for at least 40+ Forum sections to moderate. I just dont see why it would be such a burden to moderate 5 more Forums. In reality your not increasing the amounts of posts to moderate. Just dividing them from 1 section to 5 sections.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Throwing in my 2 cents. I like it how it is now.

I subscribe to the hangs I'm interested in, so I get daily/weekly emails and I can read thru when I want. I changed the number of posts displaying to 50, so it is hard to miss something.

Carry on

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Although it seems as if the ideas here have been decided and are all ready to be acted on, in reality none of this has been decided. Just a friendly reminder. It is good discussion though.
    Agreed.

The current Staff has made a well considered decision as to how to Moderate the current status of the Forum as a whole, to include their ability to perform all of the responsibilities they have voluntarily taken on. To take on more tasks than that would be irresponsible as going beyond what they have taken on might result in lower performance in other areas. Wiser men than I have noted that serving two masters results in serving neither well.

In order to determine whether or not any changes CAN be made, I would imagine that several factors need to be taken into account:

1. How many Members are willing to take on any new tasks and responsibilites.

2. How many among those are truly able to perform those tasks to the extent necessary, and how many are volunteering in a well meaning spirit of pitching in but are unaware of what is required and may be unable to.

3. A determination by current staff as to what actual duties and responsibilites might be carried out, and what level of access to give anyone taking on such tasks.

There is a good deal to consider, but one does not wisely endeavor to build a boat until he has the proper tools and a means to get it from the construction site to the water.

Three people have volunteered thus far. I would suppose that no decision can be made until several more do so.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Throwing in my 2 cents. I like it how it is now.

I subscribe to the hangs I'm interested in, so I get daily/weekly emails and I can read thru when I want. I changed the number of posts displaying to 50, so it is hard to miss something.

Carry on
    +1 on all of the above.

I know some think that more sub-forums would keep it simpler, however, for me, a scanner of all posts and reader of some, I rarely read based upon the forum breakdown unless I am searching for something. I click the "New Posts" button each time I log on and unless I am way behind on my reading, I can at least read all the titles before hitting "Mark Forums Read".

If there's a hang anywhere of interest, or any other topic of interest for that matter, it's a simple click to subscribe or if one comments, subscription is automatic.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I make note of the fact that of the three who have stepped forward so far, one has been on the forum for about a year, one for about six months, and the other for less than three.

I see this alone as a bit of a roadblock as there is undoubtedly a good deal of institutional memory and tribal knowledge involved in the task.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Although it seems as if the ideas here have been decided and are all ready to be acted on, in reality none of this has been decided. Just a friendly reminder. It is a good discussion though.
    Understood. It is nice to know that we have the attention of the powers that be, so they are aware of our discussion and can take it under consideration.

I make note of the fact that of the three who have stepped forward so far, one has been on the forum for about a year, one for about six months, and the other for less than three.

I see this alone as a bit of a roadblock as there is undoubtedly a good deal of institutional memory and tribal knowledge involved in the task.
    While I am new to this forum, having joined only in October, I have been involved in other online communities and run my own website. I am aware of the commitment I am offering. I leave the decision to the powers that be, because they have done a great job building a thriving and communicative online community. As someone who has built one of these, albeit on a much smaller scale, I know how difficult that can be.
    Last edited by Lupus; 11-26-2012 at 14:12.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Agreed.

In order to determine whether or not any changes CAN be made, I would imagine that several factors need to be taken into account:

1. How many Members are willing to take on any new tasks and responsibilites.

2. How many among those are truly able to perform those tasks to the extent necessary, and how many are volunteering in a well meaning spirit of pitching in but are unaware of what is required and may be unable to.

3. A determination by current staff as to what actual duties and responsibilites might be carried out, and what level of access to give anyone taking on such tasks.

There is a good deal to consider, but one does not wisely endeavor to build a boat until he has the proper tools and a means to get it from the construction site to the water.

Three people have volunteered thus far. I would suppose that no decision can be made until several more do so.

I just dont understand why the site would need to 'increase' its staff by half of its current size, in order to operate an 11% increase in Forum size. There must be another reason for them not wanting to have a more organized section. Oh well, I tried.
    No worries.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...archid=8083698

Edit: Of course the link doesn't work now.

It was a search for "regional forums" in "Feedback and suggestions" only and had about 6 threads similar to this one.
    Last edited by gmcttr; 11-26-2012 at 21:32.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images

Yeah That thread was mainly directed towards Regions in general. I was just focusing on Sub-Threading the Trip Planning section. Nothing else.
    If they dont want to do it, then im not gonna push it any further. Ive plead my case. Its not a big deal. It was just a minor annoyance, for me, with this site's setup that I was trying to help fix.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    It is unfair to put the entire burden on the present mods.
    Agreed 100%

It is likewise unfair to put the entire burden on members, particularly new ones, and it is unfair to everyhone to constantly change the rules or conventions on how trips are to be listed.
    This is where I'll disagree, to a point. While we all view this place as a home on the internet to which we in some part belong, and view the people here as at the least kindred spirits, if not friends, at the end of the day we can't forget what this is. It's a free forum, owned by others, run by volunteers, devoted to hammock camping. That particular forum is a spot that was set up to help facilitate us getting together to participate in this hobby of ours. But technically it doesn't in itself add to the bulk of hammock camping knowledge contained herein. We don't pay membership dues, it's open to any and all - and as such we are owed nothing by those that run it. In that sense, the onus is 100% upon us to use it as we choose, and take from it what we can. The mods and owners are not in any way obligated to do anything for us, least of all organize things in the way we might like, or in the way that we think might be easier for us. That they do is awesome, and kudos to them.

Imagine if a friend gave you permission to crash at his vacation house any time you like - an open invitation. He has a few rules - try not to break anything, don't steal the furniture, the basics, and he stops in to check on things when he can - but otherwise gives you full run of the place while you're there. While looking for a clean towel in the linen closet, you realize that it's not organized the way you think is most optimal. All the towels, washcloths, sheets, pillowcases, and such are all just lumped together. To find a clean towel, you might have to dig a little. You can still get what you need - but it'd totally be easier for you if towels were on one shelf, pillowcases on another, washcloths on a third, and so on. So the next time you talk to him, you suggest, "hey, it'd be more organized if you arranged that closet like X, or Y". He says, thanks, but he likes it the way it is.

In the end, he's not obligated to re-arrange his closet, even if your way is better. Even if his response is "nah, I'll keep it that way, because I feel like it" - that's his perogative. You're getting to use his house, and the towels, which while they may be a little disorganized, are clean and still work for their intended purpose, to dry you off. To argue that it's not fair that you should have to do more work to find what you want in that situation ... you know what they say about looking a gift horse ... anyway, that's perhaps wandering a bit off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    Hey guys, I'm just offering alittle feedback and suggestions as to how I view this site. And it seems I'm not alone in this, since its been brought up in previous threads. But if this is something that will ruffle feathers then just ignore me. Its no biggie.
    By all means, offer suggestions. Even my response before and my comments above aren't meant to say that I disagree with you, or that you shouldn't make your suggestion. If there was a different organizational structure in the trip planning forum, would I use it? Sure! But if there wasn't, will I continue to use it the way it is, and find what I need? Yep.

I simply realize that this has been suggested more than once in the recent past. And the mods have suggested that they don't see a need. And quite honestly, it's their house. They don't need a reason. So I wanted to suggest a pre-existing alternative that will effectively give people the same results. And if we were to change the way we title posts in that forum, the work falls to us - which is more than fair, since we're the ones benefitting from the trips - and it's less work in the end than creating a new batch of categories which need to be monitored, organized, and whatnot. Not trying to shoot you down at all - but if in the end you don't get the answer you're looking for, there are other options to find what you need.

I just see a lot of people making suggestions (many of which are well thought out, and might actually help certain deficiencies) and then when they don't get the response they hoped for from the mods, they take it personal, or feel like the mods are being unreasonable.

Make suggestions. If you get what you asked for, cool. If not, shrug your shoulders, and keep on hanging. Or don't. But don't let it bother you. Imagine the alternative - instead of it being a little more disorganized than you prefer, it could not be available at all.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast