Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Well, as long as we're playing the snarky-game... (see the smiley?)

Where in Jeff's quote did you see the word "camping"? Camping is a thing done with hammocks, it isn't really about hammocks; like "paddling trips with hammockers" isn't really about hammocks. Group Hangs are great, but the purpose of this forum is to increase hammock knowledge not facilitate social events. We are happy they take place, but they are a by-product of what we do at HF, not what we do.
    Allow me to revise and extend my remarks...

Isn't a bunch of hammockers planning hammocking trips the very essence of hammocking?

I also note that the Trip Planning Forum does not say "Hammock Camping Trip Forum" and thus those other hammockers who use their hammocks for all of the other myriad uses of hammocks are free to plan their trips, if any, in the very same forum hammock campers use.

Seriously guys;

The very same people whom I have seen advise a noob that the best way to learn about hammocks is to attend a group hang are also telling them that facilitating that activity is secondary to the mission of the Forum.

Isn't that a bit like telling someone that the best view is at the top of the mountain without telling them which mountain or where the trailhead is? "Its out the in the woods, just search for it and you'll find it."

Also;

The posts that would be put into any proposed subforum will also appear as New Posts and in Today's Posts in exactly the same manner as they currently do. This allows those who have become accustomed to scanning New Posts in order to find Group Activities to continue to do it in that manner, and since those posts will not be hidden from any member, Sub Forums will not interfere with any sense of Community or contribute to any splintering.

All it does is make it easier for the Noob to find what you all describe as "the best way to learn about hammocks."
    Last edited by sargevining; 11-27-2012 at 23:29.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I'll chime in here with my support for a "regional" breakdown, ONLY IN THE TRIP PLANNING FORUM

As others have mentioned, if you allow things other than trip-planning in regional-specific forums, you end up with people who only view those local forums and not anywhere else. That's bad for the site, and its primary mission of sharing knowledge about hammock camping.

That said, I know this is an issue the mods have given considerable thought to - how do I know this? Because I bring it up with them every time I sit around a campfire with any of them. I harass Cannibal about this one EVERY time we have a Colorado group hang, and he always makes a well reasoned argument for why it hasn't been implemented yet, which makes perfect sense and totally logical.... and completely fails to convince me

I'm a big proponent of region-specific group "trip planning" subforums. It would really help me to find out about events without having to try to run searches on keywords like "Colorado" that would end up making me completely miss things like the Black Hills hang.

Also, if we had moderators specific to the region-specific subforums, with EXTREMELY limited powers (say, the ability to go back and edit original posts to update details for locations / times / etc, and perhaps the ability to pin threads to the top of the subforum for active planning / announcement threads), that could be hugely beneficial as well.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Its fairly obvious at this point that this is not something that will happen. There really is no more point in discussing it from me. I was just trying to offer a suggestion for a way to clean up the site alittle and make it a bit more user friendly. But if it is gonna be the center of any kind of bickering or whatnot then it has already failed in its original intention. So I say lets just drop it and I'm sorry for bringing it up. I can just outsource to other sites if need be in trip planning. Facebook is proving to be a great place for this already. The Virginia Facebook page is filling up nicely and we should be able to plan our hangs there with ease. I did not want to cause any frustrations or hostilities or to have anybody left with a bad taste with me. Please dont mistake my tone for being frustrated, as I am not at all.

I will leave with this; Anytime we neglect to take advantage of supplying a demand that is increasing, even if it is not the main focus of the site, is a lost opportunity to better our community and grow to suit the needs of an ever changing society.

I'm not saying my idea is the right one. I just think we should place more importance on the community. Sharing information is great, but catering to community fellowship should also be just as important to this site IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post

I will leave with this; Anytime we neglect to take advantage of supplying a demand that is increasing, even if it is not the main focus of the site, is a lost opportunity to better our community and grow to suit the needs of an ever changing society.
    Beautifully stated. Ive been trying to say as much- and offered my thoughts and ideas on a couple other things, but apparently its best I just dont comment on my feelings.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I'll chime in here with my support for a "regional" breakdown, ONLY IN THE TRIP PLANNING FORUM

As others have mentioned, if you allow things other than trip-planning in regional-specific forums, you end up with people who only view those local forums and not anywhere else. That's bad for the site, and its primary mission of sharing knowledge about hammock camping.

Also, if we had moderators specific to the region-specific subforums, with EXTREMELY limited powers (say, the ability to go back and edit original posts to update details for locations / times / etc, and perhaps the ability to pin threads to the top of the subforum for active planning / announcement threads), that could be hugely beneficial as well.
    An excellent point, and something which needed to be said with specficity lest anyone think that anything other than sub fora in the Trip Planning Forum is what is being suggested. I, for one, never contemplated anything other than this very limited area for regional division.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I'm still interested in the mods thoughts on the merits of the ideas. Don't really care what is decided or more parsing of sentences.

Option 1 - status quo
    Option 2 - create regional sub forums in the trip planning area
    Option 3 - create stickies of regional threads maintained by the community

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    ...on the forum home page it says this:» "Welcome to Hammock Camping Forums
    Welcome to the Hammock Camping and hammock discussion web site.

If you are looking for a place to discuss hammocks, hammock gear and hammock accessories to use for hammock camping, you have come to the right place.

Our discussions include such things as Do It Yourself projects on how to make hammock stands, home made hammocks, accessory gear for hammocks and much more.

Come in and join the fun. Once you have spent time in a hammock you will never go back to tent camping."
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    ...I also note that the Trip Planning Forum does not say "Hammock Camping Trip Forum" and thus those other hammockers who use their hammocks for all of the other myriad uses of hammocks are free to plan their trips, if any, in the very same forum hammock campers use.
    Besides lounging and sleeping - which by the way I include camping as a form of the latter - what the heck else do you do with a hammock? Granted, I know there is a lot of "how-to" here with regard to peripheral issues/projects/experimentation, etc., but isn't the whole point of it all to "get out" in a hammock instead of being on the ground?

Its fairly obvious at this point that this is not something that will happen. There really is no more point in discussing it from me. I was just trying to offer a suggestion for a way to clean up the site alittle and make it a bit more user friendly. But if it is gonna be the center of any kind of bickering or whatnot then it has already failed in its original intention.

I'm not saying my idea is the right one. I just think we should place more importance on the community. Sharing information is great, but catering to community fellowship should also be just as important to this site IMHO.
    No, thank you for bringing it up (again) and for offering your insight. Its what we need. If this discussion ends without resolution, I can assure you, it won't be the last discussion about it. Funny how apparently its the noobs that are consistently bringing it up as someone suggested. Maybe so, but I'm not the only "veteran" that keeps agreeing with them that we could do better.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Its fairly obvious at this point that this is not something that will happen.
    Really? The only moderator comments in this thread said we were considering it. We'll let you know as soon as we decide.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    I was up late reading some of the history on subforums.

Some of the suggested subs from the past - destinations; gear trade; marketplace feedback; ladies only; campsites; motorcyclist; fabrics; paddling; indoor hanging; cotton hammocks; bikepacking; and unicyclists (though this was in jest - maybe).

Not sure what my point was going to be.
    Maybe it is some times things do get adopted around here. And some times the mods keep out fringe subforums to keep things from getting cluttered for the good of us all.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    I'm still interested in the mods thoughts on the merits of the ideas. Don't really care what is decided or more parsing of sentences.

Option 1 - status quo
    Option 2 - create regional sub forums in the trip planning area
    Option 3 - create stickies of regional threads maintained by the community
    I was never a fan of the regional breakdown. I thought the State by state would be easier to navigate, I understand the perception that of some who go to other states for trips, this would not change. The main problem for a regional breakdown has been stated as the boundary lines. Thus the regional would not solve the problem assumed to be caused by a state by state, Members would still have to check multiple subforums.

So another option for your list would be states subforum.

This would not have to be all states either. Just the ones which seem to have the majority of threads currently taking up the majority of the main trip forum. When a state appears to reach a criticial mass and overloads the trips forums, its own subforum could be created.

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast