Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images

Trip Planning Sub-Forums

Just wanted to toss out another bit of feedback and a suggestion.

I would be really nice to have a sub-forum in the Trip Planning section for each individual state or at least Region. I would solve the issue of Post becoming buried before all the members specific to that region, get a chance to see it. I understand that it would be alot of work to create all those sub-forums but it would be really nice to have it for when we are planning group hangs. Not everyone checks the HF calendar very often. Just tossing this out there. If its not something that can be done then we can just keep using other apps like google+ and facebook to try and plan the trips.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    This has been discussed before. As I recall (and I could wrong) it was decided against because it would cause a larger load on the mods and many people travel across many states to group hangs, not just within their home state. It has been suggested that when people wish to post a group hang to start the title of the hang with the state abbreviation/location of the hang first to make it easier to navigate for people.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    I like the idea. A good thing about it would be that we could announce spontaneous trips to see if those in the area want to come along. "I'm heading to Indian Peaks tomorrow, anyone wanna come?"

I guess there's nothing stopping us from doing this now, but having a subforum for each state would lessen the potential clutter.
    Potential is nothing without hard work.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Why not try it like the video post.....

VIDEO: Hammock stuff

VIRGINIA: Group Hang

Might help make it pop.
    Then subscribe to it.

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    This has been discussed before. As I recall (and I could wrong) it was decided against because it would cause a larger load on the mods and many people travel across many states to group hangs, not just within their home state. It has been suggested that when people wish to post a group hang to start the title of the hang with the state abbreviation/location of the hang first to make it easier to navigate for people.
    The whole abbreviation/location does not solve the problem most often encountered with that Section. Posts get buried rather quickly and many often miss trips that are being planned because of this. Sub-Forums for each state would resolve this issue. What about Time Zone sub-forums. That would narrow it down significantly without adding 50 new sub-forums to police.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    The whole abbreviation/location does not solve the problem most often encountered with that Section. Posts get buried rather quickly and many often miss trips that are being planned because of this. Sub-Forums for each state would resolve this issue. What about Time Zone sub-forums. That would narrow it down significantly without adding 50 new sub-forums to police.
    Very similar to what I was thinking, but I was envisioning 6 sub-forums based on geographic region with the FAQ for the post having a map showing which ones belong to which region to clear up any misunderstandings and to help those that live on the borders check for the neighboring regions posts.

Regions like:
    Southeast
    Northeast
    Northern Midwest
    Southern Midwest
    Northwest
    Southwest

Heck, with this we could even add another for "international hangs"

Just my $0.02

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    As for posts getting buried, perhaps the mods could change the default number of threads displayed per page to a higher number than 10. I manually set mine to 30 in my user control panel.

At least this way a post won't get "buried" as fast. Also there is a sticky in the trip planning forum that details several ways to stay current with that forum.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupus View Post
    Very similar to what I was thinking, but I was envisioning 6 sub-forums based on geographic region with the FAQ for the post having a map showing which ones belong to which region to clear up any misunderstandings and to help those that live on the borders check for the neighboring regions posts.

Regions like:
    Southeast
    Northeast
    Northern Midwest
    Southern Midwest
    Northwest
    Southwest

Just my $0.02

+1 to this. Me likey.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Catavarie is correct. This has been discussed before and rejected.
    On the face of it, it does sound like a good organization tool. However, because many of us do travel quite some distance to hangs, it's good to keep them all lumped together.

I've traveled from Florida to Texas for a hang and other Floridians have traveled to Virginia, Missouri and Tennessee that I know of. Tennesseans and Canadians have traveled to Florida hangs and at least one USA hanger has traveled to Sweden for a hang. Hammockers know no bounds!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lupus View Post

Regions like:
    Southeast
    Northeast
    Northern Midwest
    Southern Midwest
    Northwest
    Southwest

Just my $0.02
    +1
    This would be a good solution. They really should separate that forum. Its just to many posts being put up constantly.

If you dont check that section daily then you could easily miss a post. Even when it gets bumped, if you dont catch it that day, it could get buried just long enough for you to miss it. I understand there may be a few people who travel great distances to go to group hangs but I still think breaking that section down into 4 or 8 sub-forums would help out alot.

It would eliminate the need for us to outreach to other sites for a better system in trip planning. It just seems more logical to create sub-forums for trip planning based on regional areas. Having one little section where everything gets piled into just isnt as inviting as something alittle more organized. This is just my opinion. Just give it some thought.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast