Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Siltarp2
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Images

Whoopie Slings

Noob question here. What are the advantages/disadvantages of Whoppie Slings? I've looked around online and watched some videos, but I don't really get it. Are these an alternative to say, the Eno Slap Straps?
    "YOU KIDS GET OUTSIDE AND AIR YOUR PANTS!"--MOM

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Images
    Advantage: less bulk than all strap suspension, quick easy adjustment, fun diy project.
    Disadvantage: limit min. distance between trees, there are work arounds for this tho', can channel water into hammock w/o some sort of drip diverter, can freeze in snowy wet cold wx. They are almost universally loved around here... almost.
    Good luck,
    RED

My Youtube Channel

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    HG: CF 4S
    Insulation
    HG: TQ. UQ
    Suspension
    WS and Dutch Hooks
    I went with them because they are light and easy to use. They do limit how close the trees can be to each other or in my case how close the swing set posts are, but there are work arounds. I have not used them in snow or freezing rain, so can't comment there.

All you do is pinch one end of the bury and pull the line though to make shorter or longer. Milk it out a little and pull on the suspension for it to lock down.

They do not replace "Slap Straps" as they would cut into the bark of the tree. Get some tree huggers to go with them and some Dutch Hooks to connect them to the continuous loop at the end of your WBBB. There are good vids on youtube for how to convert your suspension.

Hope this helps.
    "When you see something wobble, push it."
    - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Whoopie slings are easier to adjust than buckles (for me) and they are lighter and pack smaller because they replace all but enough strap to go around a tree.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Anything is better than those "slap straps" since they stretch a lot and have limited adjustability. To add to what others have said, whoopie slings are just plain cool. Hanging from something that is 7/64" wide yet so strong and non stretchy is awesome in my books.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I prefer the simplicity of the cinch buckles. I gave up whoopie slings after I left a pair of tree straps hanging in the trees. Just one too many parts for me to keep up with. I can tend to be a little forgetful here and there...

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    If whoopie slings are made of 1/8" Amsteel it allows a greater distance between trees. I've hung from them 32' apart.

A single line suspension (SLS) system is a giant double ended whoopie.

Mike

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by awilder View Post
    I prefer the simplicity of the cinch buckles. I gave up whoopie slings after I left a pair of tree straps hanging in the trees. Just one too many parts for me to keep up with. I can tend to be a little forgetful here and there...
    Are you talking about buckles like JRB tri-glides or ring buckles? I didn't care for the former at all. I loved the latter until I realized that whoopies are even easier to adjust.

Have you considered an all-in-one where the whoopie/strap are connected to the hammock "permanently"? That would keep you from forgetting your straps around the tree when you leave.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Anything is better than those "slap straps" since they stretch a lot and have limited adjustability. To add to what others have said, whoopie slings are just plain cool. Hanging from something that is 7/64" wide yet so strong and non stretchy is awesome in my books.
    +1 Slapstraps stretch- when rain comes through they stretch ALOT.

if you buy eno straps buy the ATLAS straps - they do not stretch

However; some very lightweight tree straps/huggers are available from the HF vendors. Attach whoopies to Tree straps/huggers using a toggle or a lightweight climbing rated carabiner, like the CAMP USA Nano, by using a marlin spike hitch in the tree strap ( its dead simple to learn with a few practices)
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanWild View Post
    Noob question here. What are the advantages/disadvantages of Whoppie Slings? I've looked around online and watched some videos, but I don't really get it. Are these an alternative to say, the Eno Slap Straps?

Yes, absolutely they are a great alternative to ENO slap straps. As others have stated the ENO slap straps are made of nylon that stretches like crazy...you literally have to get up in the middle of the night and tighten up the strap otherwise your butt will be on the ground by morning (HOWEVER, the new ENO atlas straps are made of poly and do not stretch. )

Weight is a huge advantage for whoopies...light and simple...when i replaced my suspension with whoopies i was able to remove two very heavy biner clips, climbing rope used to attach the biners to the hammock, and long lengths of bulky nylon webbing...I replaced it with two super light weight amsteel ropes and two very thin light weight poly tree straps w/ two 3 inch alum toggles.

Another advantage is you have more adjust-ability and control over your suspension with whoopies to help dial in the sweet spot. With slap straps and other fixed loop treehuggers you are sort of locked into where the loops are on the strap but with whoopies you can pretty much set it whatever angle you want it at. Also as i mentioned earlier you are literally removing the need to have long lengths of tree strapping by making most of the length adjustment coming from the whoopie itself. I was able to shave off about 3-3.5 feet of strapping off of each end of my suspension

Price: whoopies are pretty cheap... ranging from the cost of materials and doing it yourself up to $25ish for a complete whoopie set up from our cottage vendors(whoopies, straps, toggles)

last but not least... the spiderman effect.... watch your friends call bs then freak out when they see you hanging from such a tiny rope.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast