Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images

Trying to Plan a Backpacking Trip. . . help me find a trail please.

Ok, so I haven't been backpacking since . . . um . . . I was 15. That was about 25 years ago. Even then, the trip was planned out for me. 2 great trips to Philmont when I was young.

I have never planned a backpacking trip. I am confident in my skills to survive the experience and to prepare properly. However, I can't seem to find the resources to find a trail to actually hike. I'm looking for a short loop trail, maybe 10 miles or so, with a couple of back-country campsites I can stay at (or where camping along or just off the trail is permitted). I would like something fairly close to home (within a couple of hours or so of Athens, GA). I have no idea where to begin looking. Anyone have some ideas?

I was thinking a short backpacking trip that I can take on a Weekend, like a Friday night, arrive and camp, hike Saturday to a camp, and easy hike out Sunday. I probably won't actually be taking the trip till after the new year with all the holidays, and my lack of cold weather gear, but I wanted to 'plan one' since the first time you do something is always the hardest.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL, DIY, ENO SN
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB GL4, REI SubK
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    My favorite trails are in N Ga on the AT (Appalachian Trail). I often park either at Woody Gap or Neel Gap or Hogpen Gap, and backpack to one of the others. I do an out-and-back if I'm alone. If you park downhill from Neel Gap, you can get Mountain Crossings to check your pack before you depart, to make sure you're not carrying too much or too little.

I may be backpacking next weekend, but not sure yet.

Do not miss the next group hang, which should be in that area sometime in January. Last hang was at Raven Cliffs.

Walter (kk4df)

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    The Coosa Backcountry trail fits the bill. It's a 12 mile loop starting and ending in Vogel State Park. I wouldn't try to camp in the park on Friday cuz I heard they don't allow hammocks. But you can camp a short ways up the trail. Although I think you may hafta go left on the trail to get to the nearby sites, can't remember if there are any nearby going to the right.(Which is the direction you wanna go when you do the hike) Halfway through the trail is a nice big group site you can camp at Saturday, there's a water source 1/4-1/3 of a mile past that site. There's also supposed to be water down to the right from the group site but I never went down there to see.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL, DIY, ENO SN
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB GL4, REI SubK
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Yea, I thought about mentioning the Coosa Backcountry trail, but I've never hiked it myself. How many hikers/backpackers are typically on this trail as compared to the AT?

And do you typically start and end at Vogel, or at one of the road crossings like near Wolfpen?

Hammock
    DIY standard gathered end (DL 1.1)
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9
    Insulation
    Nada ... yet
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    There are numerous books at REI. Athens is only a hop and a skip to several stores in the Fulton, Gwinnett, and DeKalb locations. The Chattooga River trail system has plenty of entry level options, and it is pretty close to you. Google is your friend.

Good luck.

STinGa
    Last edited by STinGa; 11-24-2012 at 20:06.
    Sarcasm is a dying art.

Eagle Scout September '85 Troop 339 Smyrna, TN

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    I plan manny hiking trips for my hiking group and for my Boyscout troop! The AT is a great place to start ! It has many options and plenty of resources ! Let me know if I can help?
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    that was really cool! I was going to suggest trying local outdoor stores for trail guides as we have them around here. I see somebody beat me to it. OTOH That Google was GREAT!

One nice thing about trail guides is that one can take it along for the information in it then use it to dream up the next trip while laying in the hammock waiting for sleep. ;-)

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by kk4df View Post
    Yea, I thought about mentioning the Coosa Backcountry trail, but I've never hiked it myself. How many hikers/backpackers are typically on this trail as compared to the AT?

And do you typically start and end at Vogel, or at one of the road crossings like near Wolfpen?
    I always start/end in Vogel. It's not typically a busy trail like the AT, which is why I like it. This last time I did it I did encounter a good bit of dayhikers in the first couple miles but once I got out there it was pretty empty except at camp where we had to share the site with some scouts.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Catavarie View Post
    I had already done that. Just couldn't narrow down the choices with any clear results that I knew would or would not fit the bill.

But I love that site. Gonna have to remember that the next time someone asks me how to do something with their computer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast