Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    ....I've not really bought into the insulated sock idea. My socks have never really been fitted per say, so that my UQ doesn't get compressed. Keeping with the purpose of the sock, I actually asked this in another thread, and got no answers, but if someone could please enlighten me on the purpose of an insulated sock, I would really appreciate it.
    I like mine, but it was extremely labor intensive to get it the right shape so there were no air gaps but it didn't compress the down insulation of my hammock. One big plus for insulated socks is that you don't get air leaks from kicking the TQ off when you adjust position during the night. LD Cakes helped me do a video of my system last year. The sock was made by quilting Climashield between shaped panels of ripstop, then assembling the panels, then repeatedly modifying with strategically placed darts. I like the top-center zipper.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    What a piece of work WV!! Wow!!!
    definitely labor intensive.

There ya go Diva.
    Get crackin'! .. . .. ...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    It doesn't have to be this complicated. I expect DivaB will come up with her own clever use for the patrol bags.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I like mine, but it was extremely labor intensive to get it the right shape so there were no air gaps but it didn't compress the down insulation of my hammock. One big plus for insulated socks is that you don't get air leaks from kicking the TQ off when you adjust position during the night. LD Cakes helped me do a video of my system last year. The sock was made by quilting Climashield between shaped panels of ripstop, then assembling the panels, then repeatedly modifying with strategically placed darts. I like the top-center zipper.
    I guess I see it as more of a pod, and what you call your tent I see as a sock with bottom. The pod is sort-of what I'm leaning towards. The sock/tent I think I'll not insulate that portion of my set up.

I have lots of these red hammocks with the strings on the ends similar to yours that are just setting here begging to be messed with. How would sewing part of the patrol bag to one side length (with a zig zag stict) and making the other side unsewed but adjustable work, or would stretching still be too much of an issue?

What about sewing the patrol bag to one end, such as the foot end, rather than a side work?

Should I just stop thinking about sewing it on at all and move forward with shaping and figuring the best attachment points?

Honestly I'm back and forth between the pod idea and the insulated undercover idea. I know I want it easy to work with though.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Good catch, DivaB. I mistakenly referred to my gray insulated pod-like over cover as a "sock", when I've generally called my sock-with-a-floor a "sock-tent". Sorry for confusing the issue.

You're right that having the adjustable strings on the hammock made it difficult to attach the insulated pod. I used velcro to connect the top and bottom parts of the pod around the strings. I don't recommend this, although once the pod is in place the strings can move freely between the hooks and loops as I shift my weight, making charming little velcro ripping noises as they unfasten and fasten again. The tension makes the velcro re-fasten, much like the bottom entry of a Hennessey hammock. I used this design so I wouldn't need to insulate the end compartments, which make great storage for clothes and also keep the strings from tangling. I think a better approach would be to make something more like a peapod, even though it might be a bit heavier.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Been messing with things today....I don't like those extra red hammocks with all the stringy suspension well enough to go through the trouble of outfitting it for winter, so I'm sticking with my over sized pink one, "Cupcake". My son also wants to stick with his hammock which has a sewed in bugnet.

After pinning, experimenting, and some explicit use of words, I do not have enough to do a pod for my big hammock (unless I shorted my son and I'm not going to do that), and it would never work on my son's with his sewed on bug net. So the pod idea is out . In order to do 2 set-ups I will have to go the insulated undercover route, by sewing two together length wise. Hope Ohio gets snow this year, as a Pulk will be absolutely needed!!!

Who knows, maybe I'll luck out on more patrol bags someday, some year, and at that time I could add to the undercover to make into some kind of pod....and I'll needed it by that point because my husband will be so tired of my hobby that he'll kick me out of the house

Now off to try to look over easy undercover ideas....and where the heck I should put those darn darts.
    Last edited by DivaB; 11-28-2012 at 20:03.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Back to the Pod idea I think I can make it work for my body only and not the entire super sized hammock, but I'll have a sock for that protection. I also think I can do it in such a way that I can still move about, lay diagonal, or roll on my side freely. It certainly won't be as elaborate and fine tuned as WV, but it'll work.

Gutter will have to forgo his hammock for a different one to use in winter, if he bucks too hard, then his patrol bags will end up just winter, insulated undercovers. I think I can get by with just using 1.5 patrol bags for his undercover, but he has a foot box, so I'm not sure how to work around that.

Sometimes, creative thinking and indecisiveness just sucks!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12