Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Weighing options
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    I'll pick up some wood this week and try to post a pic this weekend of how much I can get for around $50, was thinking mixed hardwood and/or pinon. Will try to avoid popping and sparking pine with all the synthetics that will likely be around and figure the oak might be more expensive and not necessary for a camp/cook fire. If the amount doesn't look like enough to everyone I'll grab some more.

I won't turn down cash assistance but nobody needs to feel obligated. At $50 I figure it is cheaper than nearly every hotel these days and I hear the place we're going you don't have to worry about bed bugs, strange stains on the sheets, or kids playing football in the room above (plus two nights for one!). Now if someone wants me to bring a full cord that will be an entirelydifferent matter , actually don't even ask as my f150 isn't going to handle the 2+ ton weight that a cord of hardwood weighs in at.

Jory

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    2+ tons for a full cord of hardwood? Dang! I have heard great stories told by those who came before that burning pinon smells amazing.......subtle hinting in progress: warning!
    Rules to live by:The Wizards Rules
    Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
    Meaning of the EOD Badge
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wash 3
    Suspension
    whoopie!!!
    OutandBack, thanks for the welcome, looking forward to it too.

Jobo, thanks, I'd be happy to pitch in $20 or whatever.

Mother Nature, bring on the snow!
    Last edited by RkyMtnChkwgn; 01-23-2013 at 23:08. Reason: first grade grammar
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. Hang your own hammock from them as the winds blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves. - John Muir (you know, all but the hammock part)

Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Weighing options
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Picked up the wood today, about half mixed hardwood ($3.50/cf) and the other half pinon ($4/cf). It was cheaper than I thought, only $43 and change for what is pictured below. It has been a long time since I've had a fire going in the winter so if anyone thinks we need more I can get another stack like shown given the number of people who have offered up to help pay. Whatever is left over can be divided up at the end of the weekend among those chipping in cash if desired.

Also, anyone planning on using a backpacking woodstove? If yes then I'll cut some of this down to 3-4" long pieces that'll fit in those - much easier to do on the bandsaw than with a handsaw .

Jory

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    That's some warm looking wood you got there!
    Anything can be solved by the proper application of High Explosives. Or a shot of whiskey...
    Meaning of the EOD Badge
    Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) is a science of vague assumptions based on debatable figures derived from inconclusive experiments, performed by persons of doubtful mental capability with instruments of problematic accuracy.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like that is 2 rows deep, In which case, I think that would be plenty of wood.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jobo View Post
    Picked up the wood today, about half mixed hardwood ($3.50/cf) and the other half pinon ($4/cf). It was cheaper than I thought, only $43 and change for what is pictured below. It has been a long time since I've had a fire going in the winter so if anyone thinks we need more I can get another stack like shown given the number of people who have offered up to help pay. Whatever is left over can be divided up at the end of the weekend among those chipping in cash if desired.

Also, anyone planning on using a backpacking woodstove? If yes then I'll cut some of this down to 3-4" long pieces that'll fit in those - much easier to do on the bandsaw than with a handsaw .

Jory

That looks great Jory thank you very much.
    I think since you picked it up and hauling it to the hang we can pickup the cost.
    -Bob

Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Weighing options
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by trailryder42 View Post
    Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like that is 2 rows deep, In which case, I think that would be plenty of wood.
    Actually just one row deep, think they are about 16" long or so.

I ran up to Kenosha Pass today as well snow is melting off pretty quickly and any passenger car should have zero problem getting to the campground (I was in a Hyundai Sonata). Where the snow is still on the road it is packed down hard with many dry dirt areas as well. At the rate it is melting unless something fresh falls we'll be back to bringing in water. Although there is a river only about 5 miles drive from the campground.

Jory

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jobo View Post
    Actually just one row deep, think they are about 16" long or so.

I ran up to Kenosha Pass today as well snow is melting off pretty quickly and any passenger car should have zero problem getting to the campground (I was in a Hyundai Sonata). Where the snow is still on the road it is packed down hard with many dry dirt areas as well. At the rate it is melting unless something fresh falls we'll be back to bringing in water. Although there is a river only about 5 miles drive from the campground.

Jory
    It sound like a pulk and backpack is in order in case there's no snow on the trail for those moving camp to the overlook Sat.

Hammock
    Camo Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Custom Smokehouse
    I've got good news and bad news.

Good news is I have a short truck bed full of wood. Mostly aspen and pine with a touch of 2x4 and the like.

Bad news is its mostly fresh cut. I'm going to bust tail and try to get it all split ASAP so it has time to dry before next weekend. Me, my bucksaw, and my splitting wedge will be busy.
    Meaning of the EOD Badge

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast