Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images

CO > Front Range > Jan-Feb: Fourth Annual Colorado Winter Hang Planning Thread

Well, folks, it's about time to start our CO Winter Hang planning. Our 2012 Fall hang had temperatures dipping as low as 11F, but we're sticking with calling it a "fall hang", which means it's time to plan our actual winter hang.

For some of the previous hangs we've held, check out our prior trip reports:

For the winter hangs, we've typically done a car camping or very short hike-in. This has worked well to give potential new winter campers an opportunity to experiment with gear, and have a bailout plan if temperatures get too cold.

Our "old reliable" location is Burning Bear campground, which is a pretty great place, but we can definitely consider something else. Let's start brainstorming ideas for both location and timing, and get this show on the road!

Images
    I hope to make this one.
    It would be nice if we can select a place that has something to see and or do while we are out there. A hike to someplace cool or a view, etc.
    I don't enjoy standing around at camp in the freezing woods with nothing to see or do.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutchware bling
    The Ceran Saint Vrain trail by Jamestown has some great hammocking spots just a short hike in, and campfires are allowed, but I worry it might be too popular a trail unless there's tons of snow.
    Last edited by Boulderman; 11-30-2012 at 02:02.
    Potential is nothing without hard work.

keepin an eye on this, if it's Feb maybe I can get out there in time

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I should also note that I'll be out of the country for the first two weeks of Feb, so for me personally, either Jan or late-ish Feb is ideal.

Hammock
    WB RR x 2, SLD x2, ENOS x2, Dutch
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    WB Lynx full 20deg
    Suspension
    Straps/ Dutch Clip
    Hi all. I am new to this. Maybe we can go on a field trip to the Warbonnet Factory in Evergreen, Co. and then up 285. It looks like we all have some Warbonnet stuff. Maybe Brandon has some new stuff to show us? We can invite him along.
    ...Just a thought.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I should also note that I'll be out of the country for the first two weeks of Feb, so for me personally, either Jan or late-ish Feb is ideal.
    Are you hoping to camp/hang with snow?
    I have no preference on time after Christmas my schedule is open.

Trailrider 42, ringtail(food) and myself are planning a snowshoe possible pulk hike and hang sometime this winter
    but we need a goodly amount of the white stuff. No date has been discussed since it's still 60/30F and
    fire bans are going back up.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulderman View Post
    The Cerain Saint Vrain trail by Jamestown has some great hammocking spots just a short hike in, and campfires are allowed, but I worry it might be too popular a trail unless there's tons of snow.
    By Jamestown? I didn't know about that one! There is a trail by the same name just outside of Fraser. I'm always up for a trail I don't know about!

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus21 View Post
    We can invite him along.
    He usually shows up for these things anyway. Kind of like that damnable Snap-On truck showing up at a worksite; kiss your next several paychecks goodbye.

I very much doubt I'll be able to make anything in January. I might have a shot at a Feb date, but even that is questionable. I'll keep my eye on this thread though and try to juggle the schedule as best I can.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus21 View Post
    Maybe Brandon has some new stuff to show us? We can invite him along.
    Brandon brought a truckload of quilts, hammocks, and accessories to the Fall Hang. He sold several of us some new Ridgerunners, loaned out some hammocks and quilts for people to try, and let me use a sock prototype that was using a different, less breathable fabric than he normally uses.

He hasn't done this huge of a gear demo at all of the hangs he's attended, but this one was special because we were celebrating the release of the much-awaited Ridgerunner after years of anticipation. I'm willing to bet that, if he's able to come, and you wanted to check out a specific piece of gear, he could make sure there was one available. Then again, these hangs are usually about 90% Warbonnet hammocks anyway, so you can usually find someone who has whatever it is you're curious about

I ended up buying a sock, a Winter Yeti, and a Winter Lynx from him on the spot. It was an expensive weekend
    Last edited by Mustardman; 11-29-2012 at 13:41.

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    SOUTH DAKOTA CONTINGENT CHECKING IN!........will keep an eye on this and hopefully myself and sodakgrrl can make this one too as we had such a great time at the "fall" hang......still think 10° qualifies as a winter hang tho

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast