Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L84toff View Post
    Can I ask why you went to the tarp tensioners specifically for the cuben?
    Just decided to try it. Sort of a "why not?" thing.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Just when I had made a decision about going with a CRL (such as the one at Whoopieslings). All I had left to decide was the tie outs.

You're illustration is pretty awesome but for some reason I'm having a real hard time visualizing adjusting the tarp to centre it. I think I'm going to have to try your set up with my tadpole using figure 9's in my garage later today to help me understand. I watched the other video on your site using 2 biners and still having a mental block of how it works.

I do appreciate the feedback though.
    Both examples that I recently published work with a "figure-8" design, so the ridge line is not fixed to the tree at all. In this way, the line can slide back and forth on itself since the end points are attached back to the tarp.

You may just have to try it to believe it, I know that others have had the same reaction, even when I published the video showing how it works.

Leave the line slightly loose so you can easily slide the tarp back and forth to center. Once centered, you can tighten the tarp completely.

Now, the version with the DutchWare Stingerz/Tarp Flyz, while similar in the basic figure-8 design, requires you to be present at the Stingerz/Tarp Flyz side to make the slide adjustment because once you set the tension on the hardware, you can't slide it any more.

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Leave the line slightly loose so you can easily slide the tarp back and forth to center. Once centered, you can tighten the tarp completely.

Now, the version with the DutchWare Stingerz/Tarp Flyz, while similar in the basic figure-8 design, requires you to be present at the Stingerz/Tarp Flyz side to make the slide adjustment because once you set the tension on the hardware, you can't slide it any more.
    I pictured the line tight and was having a hard time imagining it moving easily once around the trees, even when loose it seems it would grab the tree and not allow for easy movement. But the first video clearly shows you moving it easily so I'm fresh out of dumb ideas. I wasn't able to set up my little test last night but after sleeping on it, I think it makes sense.

Thanks

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    So I've been eying some dutchware, I suspect it's an inevitable side effect from hanging around here and consequently I have some questions:

1. Dutch clips - do you leave them on the straps? Are they easy to lose? I typically leave my biner on my straps on the BB and looking at the design of the DC, it seems like it would have an easier time falling off when not hanging.

2. Tarp flyz - been thinking of using these for my tie outs. Anyone done this (I'm sure it's been done)? I currently have the zpacks micro line locks, they work great but I find they are more difficult to get a tight pitch on the tarp as they are longer. Now I thought about simply tying the knot shorter and cutting off the rest, but I do use porch mode sometimes and like being able to use the same line to tie off at the stake. My last hang, I brought some groundhog stakes and was able to tie of only part of the line to get a nice tight pitch using only a short part of the line. However typically I use a Shepherd type stake, so it got me thinking of using the tarp flyz instead. I don't have a problem bringing different stakes when car camping but hiking, not so much.

3. Do the tarp flyz take a 1.25mm Z-line? Seems to me it would be no problem.

4. Currently using a fig 9 on both ends but am thinking of going to a CRL instead, with a dutch hook on one end and a tarp fly at the other end. What I really dislike about the fig 9 is that they are a pain to move if the distance isn't right. So was thinking about putting either a fig 9 or a Dutch tarp fly on a prussik for greater adjustability. Those that have put a tarp fly on a prussik knot to tie off one end, was this a better way to go? Did you stick with it?

I probably have a dozen other questions, but this should get me started I think. I am eagerly awaiting my CF tarp from HG and was thinking of upgrading my set up a bit.

Thanks,
    Mark
    1. They stay on just fine ... stitched or not .. I don't .. and have never had them "fall off'' .. I use a red (red is head) cord lock on my bags.

2. They will work great as tie-outs .. I have used them onto my stakes as well.
    I found 9' (nine) works great for any purpose, porch mode, un-even ground, tying to logs, rocks, branches, etc.

Prussics on the CRL work nicely .. I used this method until Dutch turned me onto the Stingerz .. I now use one on each tie-out of the RL. It's faster, easier with gloves on, allows a ''V'' so your hammock suspension can pass through (in nasty weather you can get your tarp very tight to your hammock), they are easily removed to use for any tarp.

3. They do work with the 1.25 ... but it is a sheathed cord and they will cut through .. rendering the Zline useless .. I love the 1.25 .. but it just doesn't work with the Flyz & Stingerz .. it's overkill but use the 1.75.

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I am not sure but z pack was using sheathed line. Tarp flyz are designed to work with hollowbraid line. They may cut the sheathing

Joe's 1.25 ( Zpacks Zline) is sheathed.
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Hammock
    Sheltowee 'Jemima'
    Tarp
    JacksRBetter HUGE
    Insulation
    Burrow/integrated
    Suspension
    of course!
    Images
    Dutch, I'm a newcomer to hammocks but Hubby's been hanging for several years now. I got a new-to-me Warbonnet Blackbird single for my birthday in November.

Today, we went out to field-test our new packs, and I practiced putting up my hammock and tarp. By myself. I'd been pretty worried, since I'm not exactly an expert at knots, and arthritis makes my fingers a bit wonky...but the worry passed quickly! It went well, really simple, thanks to the Dutchware my ol man has gotten from you. Thank you!
    Real Freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. ~ Charles Lindbergh

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123