Tarp
    BPWD 9x9 RECT
    Insulation
    20* Phoenix +DIYTQ
    Suspension
    WBBB Stock Straps
    Images

HUG - Half Bug Net

Does anyone have any experience with the HUG - Hammock Half Bug Net from Arrowhead? Seems like a good idea in theory, but my concern would be for the critters that might slip in that gaps where the netting hangs down between the topquilt and the hammock. Blackflies and Mossies can get pretty nasty here in the spring and summer months. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

-Sap
    The perversity of the universe tends towards a maximum. -- O'Toole's Corollary of Finagle's Law

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I've got one that was a DIY and have had pretty good experience with it. You just have to make sure it's snugged up in the right places.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Send a PM to Sgt. Rock. I think he has a lot of great use and experience. On my trip to Virginia for Trail Days, I used the HUG exclusively for my bug protection and it worked great.

PLEASE NOTE: The HUG is minimalist by design! It works best as part of a system with an under quilt and top quilt/sleeping bag. I designed it 1) to appeal to the lightweight/ultralight crowd and 2) appeal to those who want easy in/out with a bug net.

Ultralighters know that lightweight gear and systems often require vigilance that isn't always necessary with traditional gear (e.g., tarp shelters vs. dome tents; trail runners vs. boots; lightweight packs vs. traditional packs). You have to use them differently.

I am working on a new HUG design that is more "secure" and less dependent on other systems that I hope to unveil shortly. Keep hangin'!

I can’t speak to AHE version, but I have a DIY version made to the dimensions in the Ultimate Hang book. I was surprised by how much coverage it provides. I am very happy with its performance. If I remember correctly, it weighs about 3 oz.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    While 3 oz. sounds attractive, I couldn't trust myself to keep the TQ in place with a HUG. When I get hot I just kick the TQ off in my sleep. I would definitely wake up ravaged by skeeters.

You could potentially make the HUG 18-24 inches longer with shockcord hemmed into the foot end to help have it wrap fully around the hammock to stay in place. If I was going to make a second HUG, I’d make it narrower at the foot end – the amount of fabric of my current one is well more than what’s needed to cover my legs. Making it longer and narrower shouldn’t add much weight.

The other thing I would do is to skip the Velcro altogether and simply leave a small gap in the hem to feed the whoopiesling into. I like my HUG under the ridgeline. Using a microbiner (such as the dutch ridgeline biner) to attach the ridgeline would make it easy to take the HUG on and off. Dropping the Velcro would save some grams.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    BPWD 9x9 RECT
    Insulation
    20* Phoenix +DIYTQ
    Suspension
    WBBB Stock Straps
    Images

HUG Comments

Feedback on comments:

PLEASE NOTE: The HUG is minimalist by design! It works best as part of a system with an under quilt and top quilt/sleeping bag.
    I'm trying to make this part of my 3-season minimalist setup, which will include top- and under-quilts, on a GTUL.

I have a DIY version made to the dimensions in the Ultimate Hang book
    I am going to have to get me a copy of that book someday...

Seems like DIY is the way to go. Even with some of the Fronkey full bug nets I've seen, it only really requires 3yds of the no-see-um fabric. I've got shock-cord lying around. I think the only thing I'm lacking is a working sewing machine (and the skill to use it properly without sewing my fingers together). Which is why the AHE one is appealing to me when compared to the cost of materials and the trial and error that I might run into during construction.

Thanks for all the comments. I'll check out Sgt. Rock's site to see if he's got anything there.

-Sap
    The perversity of the universe tends towards a maximum. -- O'Toole's Corollary of Finagle's Law

Quote Originally Posted by Sappy View Post
    Seems like DIY is the way to go.
    My wife always laughs at me because my DIY projects usually end up costing more than the commercial versions given all the prototypes, double takes, and tinkering. And when you factor in the time invested, my projects are absolutely more expensive - no question 'bout it! But I get a big kick out of making my own gear.

Have fun.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Send a PM to Sgt. Rock. I think he has a lot of great use and experience. On my trip to Virginia for Trail Days, I used the HUG exclusively for my bug protection and it worked great.

PLEASE NOTE: The HUG is minimalist by design! It works best as part of a system with an under quilt and top quilt/sleeping bag. I designed it 1) to appeal to the lightweight/ultralight crowd and 2) appeal to those who want easy in/out with a bug net.

Ultralighters know that lightweight gear and systems often require vigilance that isn't always necessary with traditional gear (e.g., tarp shelters vs. dome tents; trail runners vs. boots; lightweight packs vs. traditional packs). You have to use them differently.

I am working on a new HUG design that is more "secure" and less dependent on other systems that I hope to unveil shortly. Keep hangin'!
    Any word on this yet?
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast