Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Dragon360 Wrote: Awesome mock-up Lost_Biker! Seems like a real interesting idea. Thankfully I haven't hit an area where I needed to go to ground (I tend to keep walking - wonder how long that streak will last!) but its always something in the back of my mind.

I also do not want to go to the ground but I am an Old Boy Scout with the "Be Prepared" stamped in my mind

I even think I overdue it sometimes ( Did I actually type That?)

I need to go get some material and try it for my URBAN STEALTH HANG so I can post pics in that thread
    "HANGING OUT" has taken on a whole NEW MEANING

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scottpash View Post
    Lost Biker

Great Mock Up mine was alittle more crude so no pictures

The Top cap would be just like the TED bugnet just to close off the top where the two sides have shockcord

My Tarp is actually a 12 x 12 Guide Gear (cheap and a little heavy but after the mods and seam sealing it it works great)
    so I will have full coverage and going to the ground is a last resort

I thought if I used tyvek or DWR it could actually help with insulation
    I am a very warm sleeper and can go pretty low with just my sleeping bag and no UQ

35-40 degrees was no problem
    but we all know an UQ makes a more comfortable sleep !!!!!!!!!

great ideas and thanks
    I will post pics after I make it
    Dragon360 Wrote: Awesome mock-up Lost_Biker! Seems like a real interesting idea. Thankfully I haven't hit an area where I needed to go to ground (I tend to keep walking - wonder how long that streak will last!) but its always something in the back of my mind.

I also do not want to go to the ground but I am an Old Boy Scout with the "Be Prepared" stamped in my mind

I even think I overdue it sometimes ( Did I actually type That?)

I need to go get some material and try it for my URBAN STEALTH HANG so I can post pics in that thread
    So you don't mind if I play around with your idea? I also like to be prepared and this would make a nice addition to the BOB. I could also use it when relatives show up - they'll have to bring their own blanket.

So this would be more of a triangle shape instead? Then the tarp goes over it? Hmmm - that would be even easier to make and lighter to boot. It would be very stealthy as it would be low to the ground. There would be plenty of room for your pack and stuff.

I think I'll make a full size one for testing - if it's all right with you. I didn't mean to run away with your post and idea, but I would like to play with it.

I don't like the ground either, but needs must when the devil drives!
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    lostbiker

Yes it would be a triangle shape and the tieouts for the ground would create the bathtub effect

In my image they are six inches from the top of the DWR material and 18 inches in
    in my design mock up it left a floor area of approx 84 x 35 not a bad sleeping area for an emergency and with my tarp in winter mode it would be almost as good as a tent

Run away with my idea all you want ,but if yours comes out better than mine you have to make me one

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    lostbiker

Yes it would be a triangle shape and the tieouts for the ground would create the bathtub effect

In my image they are six inches from the top of the DWR material and 18 inches in
    in my design mock up it left a floor area of approx 84 x 35 not a bad sleeping area for an emergency and with my tarp in winter mode it would be almost as good as a tent

Run away with my idea all you want ,but if yours comes out better than mine you have to make me one
    Thanks - I'll make you one regardless! I was thinking 84x48. Do you think 3 ft wide is enough? I know it's meant to be for emergencies, but a little more room to sit-up would be nice - especially with a triangle shape. How tall would you make it? Or do you want something to just basically crawl into (drop into with the shock cord tops)?
    I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, "I'm going to mop the floor with your face." I said, "You'll be sorry." He said, "Oh, yeah? Why?" I said, "Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well."

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    well the main use would be as a TED (Top Entry Bug Net)
    so I am not sure the amount of space I would have and the height would depend on the amount of material that could safely hang below my Hammock when it is set up and I am in IT

My TED that I use now is based on Dejorha design upgrades from someone's original design and the net is 54" on each side sewn together at the bottom and shock cord on each top so the total would be 108" I am not sure if more material would work

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Let me think on it a bit.

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling

Prototype Complete 1/6th scale

Here is my Mock up at 1/6th scale

Thie first image is the dimensions I used for the Ted
    and it shows what the dimensions for the bath Tub Bivy comes out to be

In Bivy Mode you end up with an Area that is 6ft by 3ft by 30" Tall
    (a little small but it is for emrgency ground use so it will work)

Your feet should be able to go under the area that is created when making the bath tub floor for a little more length inside

The Tarp would Be Above the Bivy utilizing Treking Poles or old Tent Pole sections
    and the Bivy would be supported by the Poles also

The Top Cap is not shown in any of the images, but would be used to close off the top of the netting
    probaly will make A cat cut top cap.

I am also going to test a Top cap that would be used like an over cover for a possible
    winter enclosure.

The other images show it in Hammock Mode and in Bivy Mode

Now I Have to get Material to make A FULL SIZE VERSION TO TEST

Scott
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scottpash; 12-02-2012 at 20:41.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Ok - this is just too cool. Great mock up! - Way better than mine. I'll be starting on a full size in a few days - waiting on material to come from DIY Gear Supply. I'll post pics and specs when I get done.

It will be quite easy to make and weigh very little - somewhere around 8oz and will be perfect when stuffed in a small attached stuff sack. I'll be making a slightly wider version - 3.5 to 4 feet, but will keep the length the same as yours.

Please let me know if you make any changes - I'll let you know what I change on mine.

Thanks scottpash!

Underquilts.com

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I also might make mine with a little more Bug net material which will create more height in Bivy Mode, but I still want it to work with out being too tall in hammock mode

How did you figure out 8ozs. ?

I plan on leaving mine attached and store it with the hammock in a DIY Bishop Bag

That is what I did on my AT trip this past May and it worked without a hitch

I am not a GRAM Weenie but 8ozs would be great

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    I am also going to test a Top cap that would be used like an over cover for a possible winter enclosure.

Mesh does hold some heat in, yet breathes. This idea could be a way to manage moisture/condensation in winter socks.

Neat idea. I really like it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast