coloring IX insulation?

Greetings,

I've got a MM 3/4 IX UQ without the nylon outer shell, and though very pleased with its insulating performance, am dissatisfied with the "hammock diaper" appearance. As I recall from perusing here in times past, die doesn't seem to work on this material.

Has anyone tried Krylon fusion? Though I'm pretty sure it would stick, I'm reluctant to try it on my UQ without some assurance that it would not affect the insulation properties?

Anyone tried this or have success with another method?

thanks,

geoff

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yipper View Post
    ...dissatisfied with the "hammock diaper" appearance.
    Two solutions:

1) The 2QZQ UQ Protector

2) Buy a new PPEF Baby Orca... they have nylon coverings on both sides, white on the inside and black on the outside.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Call Dharma Trading Company they, will have the information you need. I have asked them some really odd questions in the past, they always have an intelligent answer for me. They also sell the dye you mentioned.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I love my shamu... You could also just sew on some nylon to cover your diaper... Or just buy one from Mac up there...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

coloring IX insulation

Gents,

Since coloring the IX UQ I have is the topic, thanks Ironfish45 for the lead on Dharma Trading Company. I contacted them and ordered a couple of different products. They could not guarantee that either would work on insultex, but for the small price and little likelihood of damage I thought it would be worth a try. I'll post the results.

geoff

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    BTW, I have tried it... not very good results. Most forms of PE won't take any kind of coating that isn't part of the compounding.

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Unsuccessfully attempted

I also tried it. Soaked it a long time with heat in the crock pot. The only part that held the dye at all was the threads used in quilting the scrim.

iDye for poly works

Gents,

Having no real expectations based on the responses above, I used Dharma Trading Company's black iDye for poly fabrics on my IX UQ. I did not follow package instructions, but put it in the washer on hot water and let it sit an extra 15 minutes. The result was a light grayish-green color throughout, with the suspension tape turning out more bluish.

As I was only looking to get rid of the shocking white appearance, I'm happy the way it turned out. But for those looking for a real dye job, try following the instructions (boiling on the stove-top).

Caution: don't include anything with the "hook" portion of velcro in with the IX, as it will adhere tightly to the outer film and likely tear it (guess how I know...)

geoff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey good job, yipper! that looks much better than I would have expected!

Have you rinsed the fabric yet? And does the dye appear to be holding up since you posted? Please post back to this thread about the lasting success of your dye results. This could be a game changer for those who shy away from the diaper look.

What you see includes running the UQ through a water-only wash cycle after the dye episode, so it at least stands up to that. Also a short time in a low heat dryer.

Since the earlier responses had been so negative I didn't want to invest much time or energy in the process, and that is why I didn't follow the package instructions. So I'd guess the potential exists for considerably better results than what I achieved.

geoff

• + New Posts