View Poll Results: How would you prefer to fund the hang

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Raffle

7 33.33%
  • PrePay via PayPal (based upon number of attendees)

12 57.14%
  • Other: Please expound

3 14.29%
  • None

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images

Cool NC>Falls Lake> April 19-21, 2013 - Smoked Butt Hang (Official Planning Thread)

So the 5 Ws:

Who: Anyone and everyone who wants to enjoy some good times telling lies by the fire, show off their setups, enjoy some fine porcine products (not canned pork brains in milk gravy nor ham hocks in a jar ) plus fixins, or has got nothing better to do than to hangout with some mighty fine friendly folks.

What: Hammocking and Barbeque (that's right real BBQ, with smoke not just grilling)

When: April 19 - 21, 2013

Where: Falls Lake State Recreational Area, Rolling View Group Campsite 4

Why: Because who doesn't love good food, good times, and great company?

How: Sign Up Sheet

According to my totally unscientific method of posting a "Is anyone interested" thread I found that apparently people here really love two things.
    1. Getting together for group hangs
    2. Barbeque

So it is with great joy that I bring you all the (hopefully) first annual Smoked Butt Hang. A few details are still being worked out behind the scenes with my expert Events Manager (aka My lovely wife ) who is far better at organizing things like this than I am. The site has been reserved and the thumbsup given by the park office for both the hanging and the que making. Of course ground dwellers are welcome to come too. I'm sure we'll try not to look down on them from our lofty beds.

The group meal plan is BBQ. Now for anyone who wasn't raised right and thinks BBQ meals burgers, I'll enlighten and correct you now. Burgers on a grill is a cookout. Proper BBQ requires smoked meat. Cooked low and slow till the meat is so tender you can near about cut it with a dull spoon. Whether it is dry rubbed or sauce slathered it must be smoked to be BBQ. I'm checking around locally for good price on Butts (and maybe Ribs if the price is right) so if anyone knows a place with a good price and willing to ship please let me know. If we have multiple pit masters (or just pit master wannabes) I think it would be cool to have a mini "cookoff" to share the flavors with everyone. If people would like to bring or prepare a dish for the group meal that would be fantastic as well. Meal time will obvioulsy depend on the meat as that needs several hours to obtain the perfect mix harmony of smokey and tender. And speaking of meat, if anyone has a proper smoker they would like to bring that would be great, otherwise I will be bringing my grill which I've used to smoke BBQ several times and it works, just not a huge amount of space (especially for smoking large items). If people want to do a group breakfast that would great as well.

Now I'm sure someone is likely to bring up a potential pre/post hike question so I'll give a headstart on that discussion. The Mountain to Sea Trail (NC's long trail) runs along the South coast of Falls Lake and is concurrently known as the Falls Lake Trail. The trail passes along the edge of the park and has a spur trail that leads directly into the park as well.

Best map I can find online of the Falls Lake Trail

East to West written directions of the Falls Lake Trail (as of April 2011)

I'd guess that most could probably do the trip between the East terminus (the Falls Lake Dam) and the hang location in 2 days. The Western terminus in one long day. Of course that depends on conditioning and just because we're not in the mountains doesn't mean we don't have some PUDs.

Since we will be on a lake paddle camping is a good possibilty. I've never paddled the lake so I can't speak to personal experience, but I've often seen people out enjoying the water. There are 4 official launch points on the lake, although you could likely also put in at the Marina. You can get an idea of where the launch points are located via the Falls Lake Park Map. One of the launches is a quick walk from the camp site as well as a sand beach for swimming (if the temps are warm enough of course) and a fishing pier.

And since I know someone might want to know what kinda of weather to expect.

As for the funding of this little get together of ours, well that's what the poll is for. My wife prefers the idea of everyone paying ahead of time to cover the costs of the site and the succulent pig to be feasted upon. (Of course I'd be picking up the pork in this instance.) However if someone else felt urged to provide the pork then this cost would be dramatically reduced for everyone else who would like to attend, and I would in turn provide some other delicious bit to go with the meal. I am reluctant to go with the raffle, as I know our amazing cottage vendors already give plenty to other group hangs including the MAHHA, which occurs the following weekend (so come make a week of it everyone), and I don't want to place any extra demand on their businesses. (Of course if the vendors wanted to step up and offer raffle items I'd be willing and happy to go that course as well.) No matter which way we decide to fund the event anything above costs will be split three ways: HammockForums for site upkeep, Friends of the Mountain to Sea trail for trail maintenance, and NC State Parks for park funding.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    Excellent pork from Nahunta at the State Farmers market in South Raleigh, Wheeler Rd off I-40.
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    My BBQ skills aren't totes amazing, but my stew skills are A+. I'm in, and will prepare my famous (in SC) Cowboy Stew.

ALSO: Any of the SC contingent that is going, get at me. We might can carpool from Columbia.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    MARPAT Freebird/DB72
    Tarp
    UGQ MultiCam WD12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas, whoopie
    Will make my BBQ beans. Will go great with BBQ and Gresh's stew
    Leave me alone, I'm only talking to my dog today.

I may be outnumbered, but never outmanned.

Palmetto State Hangers: We're not crazy, the Groundpounders are!!!!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cwbybld View Post
    Use your beans in my stew, conglomerate the two and the sum is more powerful than the parts.

We'll call it Greshboy stew.
    I used to be a somebody, now I just camp.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, JBD
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    ALSO: Any of the SC contingent that is going, get at me. We might can carpool from Columbia.
    Def interested in the car pool idea....will hit you up later after I check the calendar to see if I'm off that weekend.
    Next Palmetto State Hangers Hang: Spring Swing @ Huntington Beach State Park

Palmetto State Hangers is proudly sponsored by and is proud to support: Dream Hammock, Underground Quilts,
    TATO Gear, Ripstop by the Roll, Hound Dog Hammock Gear, & Get Your Gear On.

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by millergear View Post
    Excellent pork from Nahunta at the State Farmers market in South Raleigh, Wheeler Rd off I-40.
    Thanks Miller, I'll have to give them a look next time I'm over that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    My BBQ skills aren't totes amazing, but my stew skills are A+. I'm in, and will prepare my famous (in SC) Cowboy Stew.

Cowboy stew eh? Can't wait to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by cwbybld View Post
    Mmmmm BBQ Beans. Quite possibly the best side dish with some pulled pork.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I am interested, and think that weekend would work. I have a small smoker that I can bring, and a pork butt to smoke on it. Mine usually take about 8 hours to cook......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    I will be watching, and hoping it works out for me,
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    I'll make a Nylon Taffeta Hammock, complete with suspension to be raffled off. Proceeds to go to defray Catavarie's expenses. Any extra to be donated to Juvenile Diabetes research.
    I THOUGHT GETTING OLDER WOULD TAKE MUCH LONGER.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 39 12311 ... LastLast