Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images

Why does my hammock rotate in the SS when I get in?

Setting up a hyperlite side zip with super shelter, I watched the video and set it up the same way, rewatched the video to be sure, but every time I get in, the hammock its self rotates back away from me, and when I lay down part of the neting is under my left shoulder.
    What I think the problem is, is that the under cover is too tight and bering the weight causing slack in the hammock allowing it rotate as I slide my butt into it.
    Has anyone had this problem?
    How do I fix it?

I don't have a zip model, but I have noticed the undercover does become load bearing for me. This may be due to your weight, I'm within 12-15% of the max of my hammock and the undercover was just too tight for my personal taste (and seeing as how it belonged to a friend, I didn't want to damage it), so I made my own.

What I discovered in that process was that the UC was being stretched too tight length-wise. I would offer that you start by trying to decrease any excess room on the suspension line between the mitten hook and the end of the hammock wrapping. (IOW, pull the mitten hooks as close to the center of the hammock as possible)
    That will cause the UC to sag more, reducing the opportunity for it to be load bearing. Another thing I would offer is to increase the length of shock cord on the bottom opening. The design (flaw?) of the shock cord on the opening causes it to remove any excess material along the length of the hammock body, which can also lead to it being load bearing if the material doesn't end up laying properly. Tying an extra 6-12 inches of shock cord to the line already tied in will help this not pull as much.
    Good luck.
    We all know of the original "Walk off the war" thru-hike - but, check out these guys, they're helping folks 'walk off the war' today -
    Donate to help fund gear for the warriors who are coming back home and need help walking off the war!
    WarriorHike.com

Hammock
    Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow20, ZpacksUQ
    Suspension
    duh. Becket Hitch.
    Images
    My first thought is the UC might be pulled too tight, like if you changed the length of the RL or attached the UC suspension to the tarp prussiks. I guess overstuffing the UC with insulation could shorten the length of the UC as it hangs, too.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    various UGQ's
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas straps
    Images
    I will give that a try, it bums me out though, I had such high hopes for this system

Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    HEX
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Sounds like you are not using the tie outs. Make sure that the tie outs go through the side holes in the super shelter and pad even if you are not staking them to the ground. Helps hold it all together. Also make sure when you sit in the hammock that you sit closer to the zipper and spread out the far side before laying down.

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    Hum, I am going to have to look at mine, I just set it up, climbed in and enjoyed the ride, a big storm was blowing in and the rain and wind were just starting when we started setting up.

I did a quick test at home, set everything up and looked it over with the dog in the hammock, with the under cover on. Oh, the dog is 105 pounds and pretty long. Not unlike a human sleeping in the fetal position. Things looked okay. I was not impressed with the new survivor hammock. Maybe that was really a problem with the SuperShelter instead. I am going to find out this morning.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwrider View Post
    Setting up a hyperlite side zip with super shelter, I watched the video and set it up the same way, rewatched the video to be sure, but every time I get in, the hammock its self rotates back away from me, and when I lay down part of the neting is under my left shoulder.
    What I think the problem is, is that the under cover is too tight and bering the weight causing slack in the hammock allowing it rotate as I slide my butt into it.
    Has anyone had this problem?
    How do I fix it?
    Quote Originally Posted by nryche View Post
    Sounds like you are not using the tie outs. Make sure that the tie outs go through the side holes in the super shelter and pad even if you are not staking them to the ground. Helps hold it all together. Also make sure when you sit in the hammock that you sit closer to the zipper and spread out the far side before laying down.
    That was my 1st thought upon reading the OP. Other than that, I am rather baffled as to how the hammock is rotating within the SS, I don't see how it could happen if you are using the side tie outs. In fact, I often do not use the tie outs on several different SSs, and still it does not rotate on me, unless I take my hands and move the SS on purpose for a more perfect fit, which I often do. But even then, that is me moving the SS, not the hammock rotating!

Now, on my 1st ever night in a hammock and HHSS, a really miserable night, I did a whole lot of thrashing trying to get inside my sleeping bag on a 22F night. Never did get er done. When I woke up shivering violently about 0200 hrs, I tried to escape the hammock and couldn't. Fighting a sense of panic, I got my flashlight on and found I was laying partly in the net, with the bottom entry and SS UC/pad almost ABOVE me! The entire hammock and SS had rotated around the RL as I did acrobatics trying to get in my bag. But, that is different than what I think you are saying. The entire hammock and SS rotated together. I can't figure out how your hammock is rotating as you try and get in. Is the SS rotating with it? Do you grab and edge of the hammock and hold it under your highs/knees as you are sitting down, to keep it from moving?

As for load bearing and/or being too tight, here is my normal experience: when I put my 215 lbs into my hammock, I can reach out and slide my hand under my back and push down on the UC or UC and pad either one. With just a small amount of pressure,I can push one or both down below my back a foot or to if not using the side tie outs. The side tie outs will limit the distance I can push it obviously, sense pretty soon I am also trying to push the hammock down which is attached at the side guy out points to the UC. Still, even then, the support given my back is never a bit more than one of my dif cut snug fit UQs, if that much.

But that does not mean you could not some how have it tensioned too tightly. Or that something might not be on inside out, backwards or upside down! Which I was nearby and could have a quick look at it. These things can be confusing on 1st set up. But once you have done it correctly, it's like " well why was that so hard at 1st?".

Images
    OK, as I start typing this post it's been about 35 or 40 minutes since my last post on this thread. In that period I went outside and hung my HHSS on the stand. Thought I'd better make sure I wasn't blowing smoke on what I said about "load bearing/too tight".

So, first I set it up with no side tie outs, and I could easily push the UC and pad right down to the ground, applying very little pressure, whether from the outside or laying in the hammock.

Then I ran the hammock elastics through the pad loops and out through the UC side openings, and staked to the ground. I got back in. Having the pad and UC attached to the hammock tie outs did decrease the ease and amount of motion ( at least near the hammock edge), but no matter. I could still reach out with my left hand, place it between UC or pad and hammock, and with just a little pressure push it right down to the ground. ( between 6" and a foot or so )

So to me, the hammock, which I can not push further down once I am in it of course, is load bearing. It is supporting my body weight a couple of feet above the ground. I just don't consider the additional "load bearing" of the UC/pad to be significant. In fact, I think there are fewer PSI pressure on my back than I normally have with my WB Yeti adjusted tight enough, and my JRB MW's also. Certainly not a bit more. After all, this is only a small bit of elastic cord holding any of these up.

But again, this is not to say it can't be done. I can pull the ends of the UC a foot or so up the ropes and make it really tight. But this would not be a correct installation. Correct is with the ends of the UC at right about where the hammock suspension rope knot is, right where the rope comes out of the hammock, and not beyond that. Even a bit looser is OK. That is one thing I like about the old system ( could still be done with the newer system if you use the tarp prussicks for attaching the UC/pad) : you could adjust UC tension to make up for heavier insulation in the UC, or loosen it up some for highly compressible down.

If there is any sense of bearing a load or being too tight, I suggest something is installed wrong or it is adjusted too tight. As WRRat said " I would offer that you start by trying to decrease any excess room on the suspension line between the mitten hook and the end of the hammock wrapping. (IOW, pull the mitten hooks as close to the center of the hammock as possible)"

But I would also suggest you triple check to make sure nothing is installed inside out/upside down or backwards. And I'm still baffled at what is causing this hammock to rotate and put you laying on the net. Please let us know what you figure out!

• + New Posts