Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images

Question Problem: Is your HH SS undercover this short?

This morning I put my new HH overcover on the BPer A-sym with the Byer Vario stand in my living room. Pictures above. The head end of my HH SuperShelter undercover seems to fit quite well over the head end of the hammock. But, the feet end undercover seems too short. It does not go over the top of the hammock like the head end. I've just been attaching the undercover's and OCF's elastics to the hook on the hammock cord. But, I don't like this arrangement. I want the foot end to fit as well as the head end.

Is this right? Does your HH SS undercover fit like this too? What am I doing wrong?

BTW, the overcover seems to fit quite nicely over the hammock and with most of the undercover. But, the side elastics must be used to keep the overcover in place. Otherwise the overcover slides up over the ridgeline and large gaps open up when you get into the hammock.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

No

Quote Originally Posted by hikingjer View Post
    The head end of my HH SuperShelter undercover seems to fit quite well over the head end of the hammock. But, the feet end undercover seems too short. It does not go over the top of the hammock like the head end.

Is this right? Does your HH SS undercover fit like this too? What am I doing wrong?

BTW, the overcover seems to fit quite nicely over the hammock and with most of the undercover. But, the side elastics must be used to keep the overcover in place. Otherwise the overcover slides up over the ridgeline and large gaps open up when you get into the hammock.
    This doesn't *look* right, but its hard to tell from the pictures. You should be able to thread the support line and hammock through both ends of the UC.

Mine does not have a fit problem, but I have the Explorer UL and the larger UC.

Yes, the side elastics must be threaded thru the OC to hold it down. Even with that, there will be small slit openings along the edge, as the OC seems to be sized "just big enough" to cover, and when the hammock is put under tension it may not cover 100%.

Always hard to diagnose these things with a few pics. What happens when you thread the support line through the foot end of the UC? Does it put way too much tension on the UC?

--Kurt

Images
    It also does not look right to me. Mine fits about equally on both ends of the hammock, roughly covering both end knots. I would say you have the wrong UC and it is too small. But since you have the BP hammock, your only choice would be to be to big if you had the Explorer UC, which would easily cover both ends. So, if it is like it looks, maybe they just had a bad production run of wrong sized covers, and didn't catch it. But, it should look ike a custom fit, which is how mine looks. You should contact Hennessy.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Your hammock support ropes look thicker than my BULA...they look more like the ones on the Explorer. You might have the wrong model of HH but it's hard to tell from a pic...have you weighed it or measured it to ensure it's a BULA?
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images
    have you weighed it or measured it to ensure it's a BULA?
    since you have the BP hammock, your only choice would be to be to big if you had the Explorer UC, which would easily cover both ends.
    You should be able to thread the support line and hammock through both ends of the UC.
    The hammock is definitely a Ultralight Backpacker A-sym. I've weighed it and it weighs 2lbs on my kitchen scale. The BPer A-sym is smaller than the Expedition models so the UC should not be too small.

The foot end of the hammock does not fit through the UC like it does on the top. This flaw really became apparent when I attached the OC and got a poor fit at the bottom.

Well...it sounds like I have a bad/poorly sewn UC. I wish I would've caught this earlier. I wonder if Hennessy will still exchange it? It's been awhile since I bought it, last summer. HH should be able to excahnge it.

Thanks for the responses.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just to be clear (not arguing)...the BULA weighs just under 2 lbs including the tarp. I haven't weighed the Explorer w/o the tarp but I bet it's right at 2 lbs.

Be sure to post what Hennessy says about exchanging it. They're generally pretty good with customer service but this is a bit of out of the ordinary.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Check my gallery for my pics of the Explorer with the UC installed. doesn't look like yours.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Just to be clear (not arguing)...the BULA weighs just under 2 lbs including the tarp. I haven't weighed the Explorer w/o the tarp but I bet it's right at 2 lbs.

Be sure to post what Hennessy says about exchanging it. They're generally pretty good with customer service but this is a bit of out of the ordinary.
    Yep, that's 2 lbs with the tarp.

I will post what happens in regard to customer service with Hennessy. On their webpage they say they'll exchange for up to a year due to defects. We'll see. Here's another pic of what I now think is a defect. Basically there's no hole at the foot end.

The hole at the foot end is somewhat hard to find. If you follow the edge sewn tape on the outside, you should find the hole. What I do then is to stick my finger in that way and also from the inside to try and find the path. What they have done is the bottom opening comes together to close and then when it gets close to the end, it twists a bit and comes together somehow with the outsides of the cover. I am trying to sew my bottom opening shut and am having a hard place to find where I can terminate the seam. What I may do is to take all that apart and redo the footend to elimiate all that twisting of the fabric.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrprez View Post
    The hole at the foot end is somewhat hard to find. If you follow the edge sewn tape on the outside, you should find the hole. What I do then is to stick my finger in that way and also from the inside to try and find the path. What they have done is the bottom opening comes together to close and then when it gets close to the end, it twists a bit and comes together somehow with the outsides of the cover...
    I should change my handle in the forum to "Hammock Imbecile". The hole was there. It was bunched up, pinched up, and twisted around. After messing with it for awhile it twisted out and opened up. It was there all along. It seems really small but it does fit around the hammock. Atleast I don't have to mail it back to Hennessy.

-------------------------------------

It'd be nice to try the SS out with the overcover in cold weather. Recent weather here in northwest Washington state is the longest cold snap since 1990. The wind is worse than the low temps. It's supposed to drop down to 11 degrees F with wind gusts up to 25 mph out of the northeast tonight. That's a bit too cold for hammock experimentation. Maybe if the wind weren't so bad, I'd try this thing out in the backyard on the hammock stand.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast