Tarp
    Maccat clone, OES
    Insulation
    PLUQ & DIYdown
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images

Needed:tips for pitching winter tarp

So...I just got an OES 4 season tarp. I put it up and realized I could use some advice about how to get the doors to close snug. I tried running the guylines from the stake on the opposite side through the ring on the cornerof the "door" then back to the stake. That was ok.
    Looking for better alternatives...go!

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    You could use shock cord for guy lines. Then it would close snug but you could also pass though easy enough.

Run them crisscross to each other. The stake for each corner would be driven past the centerline opposite. The doors would lap.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    Hilarious, was just coming to this subforum to ask almost the same question:

I've exclusively used "doored" tarps (WB Superfly, my first HG WinterPalace, and now my longer HG WinterKingdom -my poetic license on the name-) and have very hit and miss results with getting doors completely closed. I've gone with shockcord systems, but that doesn't seem to help 100%.

I think the problems have been in my setup geometry. I regularly find when trying to get the doors to shut tight, it would require them to be anchored at a fictional point in space about 6 inches underground. I've tried making the seam "away" from the center of the tarp (toward the trees on either end) and also bringing them in toward the center of the tarp (I have better luck with this "style").

I've been thinking about making some true "guide lines" out of 10lb test braided fishing line with knots tied at select key points to help me out with the geometry. They'd weigh in at well less than 1 gram I'm sure....

I'll be following this thread closely and would love if someone would be willing to post pics of their battened-down tarp.
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by body942 View Post
    Hilarious, was just coming to this subforum to ask almost the same question:

I've exclusively used "doored" tarps (WB Superfly, my first HG WinterPalace, and now my longer HG WinterKingdom -my poetic license on the name-) and have very hit and miss results with getting doors completely closed. I've gone with shockcord systems, but that doesn't seem to help 100%.

I think the problems have been in my setup geometry. I regularly find when trying to get the doors to shut tight, it would require them to be anchored at a fictional point in space about 6 inches underground. I've tried making the seam "away" from the center of the tarp (toward the trees on either end) and also bringing them in toward the center of the tarp (I have better luck with this "style").

I've been thinking about making some true "guide lines" out of 10lb test braided fishing line with knots tied at select key points to help me out with the geometry. They'd weigh in at well less than 1 gram I'm sure....

I'll be following this thread closely and would love if someone would be willing to post pics of their battened-down tarp.
    This is what I do with a 12x12, not a true winter tarp, and can get the doors closed pretty tight.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle the Camper View Post
    So...I just got an OES 4 season tarp. I put it up and realized I could use some advice about how to get the doors to close snug. I tried running the guylines from the stake on the opposite side through the ring on the cornerof the "door" then back to the stake. That was ok.
    Looking for better alternatives...go!
    If you got the standard OES 4 season tarp, then the ends have a cat cut on them so the "doors" won't completely seal closed. This is shown in the picture gallery on the product page.

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier....ason_tarps.php

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    If you got the standard OES 4 season tarp, then the ends have a cat cut on them so the "doors" won't completely seal closed. This is shown in the picture gallery on the product page.

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier....ason_tarps.php

Cheers

Brian
    +1

IMHO, the biggest limitation of the OES 4 season tarp is just this.

This picture displays the problem perfectly.

Excellent craftsmanship. I'm taking nothing away from OES tarps as a whole, however, the geometry is such that the doors are - at least in all my tries - unable to totally seal closed.

Many ways to get the doors of many other 4 season tarps to close. My favorite being prusiks attached to the doors and simply put the ends of the cordage around the corner stakes. Adjust the prusiks and you can tighten up the doors and bring them together.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    how about a line of velcro along thw bottom of the doors?

Hammock
    HH explorer deluxe
    Tarp
    hex tarp
    Insulation
    wrapped 2" airpad
    Suspension
    ascenders/biners
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    You could use shock cord for guy lines. Then it would close snug but you could also pass though easy enough.

Run them crisscross to each other. The stake for each corner would be driven past the centerline opposite. The doors would lap.
    Great tip, shock cords!
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
    Mark Twain

Senior Member Michelle the Camper's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Maccat clone, OES
    Insulation
    PLUQ & DIYdown
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Ha, it came with shock cord on the door rings...
    I wonder why they cat cut the doors, if the point of having doors is to shut them? Oh well, the tarp is great and I managed to get them to lap over pretty well, now that I realize they will never really line right up with the cat cut. I don't guess I did as bad as I thought!
    As always, I appreciate the help from everyone and I can't wait for the field test!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Is it possible to close the doors first ,say 90% of the way and then stake the corners out??

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast