Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    When you get that light weight one( if you do) let me know if there is any noticeable comfort or flat lie difs.
    Hee hee, I'll tell you before I get mine! The second one is for Genuine Draft and it is the 'almost light' double layer 1.1.

I'm still trying to decide how I want to go with my 'hiking model'. Not sure if I'm going with the double layer 1.1 or the single layer 1.7. Too many choices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm tempted to bite on the single 1.7 if for no other reason than it will give me access to 3 of the 4 variations. Ok, maybe I do have some issues afterall.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Hee hee, I'll tell you before I get mine! The second one is for Genuine Draft and it is the 'almost light' double layer 1.1.

I'm still trying to decide how I want to go with my 'hiking model'. Not sure if I'm going with the double layer 1.1 or the single layer 1.7. Too many choices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm tempted to bite on the single 1.7 if for no other reason than it will give me access to 3 of the 4 variations. Ok, maybe I do have some issues afterall.
    I considered the single layer 1.7, instead of the double layer which I got. The only question was would the dbl 1.7 or dbl 1.1 provide a noticeably flatter lay than single 1.7, for my 6'1", 205 lbs ( plus a few holiday ponds )? I still don't know those answers, but I took no chances and got double 1.7.

If I was going to use the torso WBUQ or JRB torso UQ and a leg pad any way, I see no need for the weight of a double layer, unless it can be shown to increase flatness and comfort noticeably. The leg pad is just fine inside the hammock right under my legs where I can adjust it as needed. No need to put it in the pad pocket. Although I should try this to see if it would be any more comfortable. I'm pretty sure it would be more inconvenient.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I considered the single layer 1.7, instead of the double layer which I got. The only question was would the dbl 1.7 or dbl 1.1 provide a noticeably flatter lay than single 1.7, for my 6'1", 205 lbs ( plus a few holiday ponds )? I still don't know those answers, but I took no chances and got double 1.7.
    Same boat here. I wanted some real comfort this go around and I really wanted to give those double layer hammocks a go and see if they reduce my pad hating. Worked!

If I was going to use the torso WBUQ or JRB torso UQ and a leg pad any way, I see no need for the weight of a double layer, unless it can be shown to increase flatness and comfort noticeably. The leg pad is just fine inside the hammock right under my legs where I can adjust it as needed. No need to put it in the pad pocket. Although I should try this to see if it would be any more comfortable. I'm pretty sure it would be more inconvenient.
    Agreed, the leg pad inside the hammock is of little to no concern to me. The only time I think about it is when I forget to take it to hammock with me. Which carries me to the next point. That sleeve is anything but inconvenient. I'm a double layer convert. The only time it has been an issue is one night that I needed to extend the pad under my entire body. I had to get out in the cold when I was already cold and adjust the pad from outside the hammock...SUCKED! But, in all fairness, I probably would have gotten out of the hammock to adjust even if it was in the hammock with me. I flipped once in an HH and I'm on a mission to not ever experience that one again. BBs would be worlds easier to get out of, but still.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    ...... That sleeve is anything but inconvenient. I'm a double layer convert. The only time it has been an issue is one night that I needed to extend the pad under my entire body. I had to get out in the cold when I was already cold and adjust the pad from outside the hammock...SUCKED! But, in all fairness, I probably would have gotten out of the hammock to adjust even if it was in the hammock with me. I flipped once in an HH and I'm on a mission to not ever experience that one again. BBs would be worlds easier to get out of, but still.
    I agree with you about being a dbl layer convert- I have been since I got my Claytor, and became even more so with my BMBH, the best hammock ( also dbl layer) to use a pad with, IMO. The only inconvenience I'm referring to is re: leg pad. To me, it is more convenient to just have the pad in the hammock with you ( but NOT down in the pad sleeve), in case you want to reposition it when you also change positions. But it can be a little more inconvenient to do that if it is down in the sleeve. And if I'm going to have the pad in the hammock in contact with my legs anyway, why have the weight of the double layer? Unless there is another benefit like less sag and flatter position?

( But I'm counting on you with your addiction ( unlike me ) to tell me if double 1.1 or single 1.7 is as comfy as double 1.7, at least as far as you can tell.)

But if I want to have the pad under my torso, no doubt, a double layer is the only way to go ( ESPECIALLY with the BMBH). Though an SPE is still pretty darn good, very competitive with the double layer and maybe a better way to handle the sides.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    To me, it is more convenient to just have the pad in the hammock with you ( but NOT down in the pad sleeve), in case you want to reposition it when you also change positions.
    I'm lucky there; I hardly move around at all in my hammocks. Actually, truth told, the new BBs seem to almost encourage nighttime movements. I guess I'm still accustomed to a smaller hammock, but it's weird to me when I wake-up in a different position than I fell asleep in.

( But I'm counting on you with your addiction ( unlike me ) to tell me if double 1.1 or single 1.7 is as comfy as double 1.7, at least as far as you can tell.)
    Me? Addiction? Well maybe, but it's under control.

Though an SPE is still pretty darn good, very competitive with the double layer and maybe a better way to handle the sides.
    Yep, that's a pretty useful thingamajig for sure!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Switch back 1.9
    Tarp
    Lawson HexaLite
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    I am happy to say my Black bird has arrived. I got to take a quick look at it. WOW! I went to get the digital sale to weigh it. By the time I found it my wife wrapped it up under the tree. My review is going to have to wait. First impression cool stuff sac.
    "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."
    Thomas Paine

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    When you get that light weight one( if you do) let me know if there is any noticeable comfort or flat lie difs.
    OK, we got it and did a little camping this weekend.

First, (and this may be a little 'metro', but) I love the color of the 1.1! It is a really nice slate grey.

There is a difference in the lay between the double 1.7 & 1.1 fabrics; not huge, but there. I didn't sleep in Genuine Draft's 1.1, but I certainly put in some lounge time. I am 6' and somewhere around 225lbs (I don't go near scales until Feb.). I noticed that I 'dipped' more in the 1.1, especially at the butt. Shoulder squeeze was not an issue, but there was more pressure at the shoulders than there is in my 1.7. I'm not talking about real big differences, just subtleties. It actually reminded me of my original ElDorado, except bigger.

I would be quite comfortable taking it on any Trail and am still considering it as my 'hiking' version. I still want to try a single layer 1.7 and see how it compares; probably a literal bigger version of the ElDorado. Maybe it's time for another trip to Warbonnet Outdoors; aka: Brandon's garage.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Just finished writing my list of "Accomplishments for 09" including goals for work, home, etc. etc. and I gotta tell ya, this discussion caused me to include two BB's one for Mrs. Canoebie and one for me. I am getting requests for hammocks from my clientele when they see me in one, so I am gonna have to free up my Claytors for them.

Now I gotta meet the financial expectations of my plan so I can get the hammock part of my plan. It is all good. Y'all have me salivating a bit. I hate postponing gratification because of money.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    I am getting requests for hammocks from my clientele when they see me in one
    +
    Quote Originally Posted by canoebie View Post
    Now I gotta meet the financial expectations of my plan
    Sounds like a tax write-off to me!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    +

Sounds like a tax write-off to me!
    LOL, absolutely. Main reason I have the business is to write off my gear. Now don't tell the feds that!!
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast