Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Help make me a better hammock camper.

I'm an avid hammock camper but I don't know what I'm doing. In the past years my hammock camping all took place in AZ in the summer. So I took my double nest and a sleeping bag. It wasn't cold at night, so no underquilt, I didn't go when there was a chance of rain so I didn't have to mess with a tarp, and there were no bugs so I never had to worry about a bugnet.

Now I live in South Carolina. There are always bugs, almost always a chance of rain, and most nights require some sort of under insulation. I"m just not sure how I should be rigging this all up. My eno has whoopie slings so that part is easy. For now I'm using big heavy duty 10x10 walmart tarps. Is it best to tie this off right to the tree or should I tie them to the hammock suspension? Or should I run a separate line and rest the tarp on top of that? Should the bug net go on before the hammock is hung?

I know there are many "right" answers to these questions and whatever works for you could be said. But I'm looking for a good baseline. How are you guys rigging this all up. I'm in charge of my hammock and my wife's hammock. The goal is to get them rigged up fast and efficiently. My wife is fine on the ground or in a hammock so when she see me spending ages to rig up two hammocks she sees it as not being worthwhile. Also i need to figure out what knots I should be using. Right now I'm doing a series of granny knots on top of granny knots. So I'm hoping to get some advice from you guys with more knowlege..or maybe lins to some videos if you know of any good ones that will address some of my questions.

Thanks,
    Dom

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    How do you normally hang both hammocks? Tie both to one tree, then to two different trees? If so, get a custom-made large tarp that can accommodate that sort of setup. OR, get two smaller tarps for each of you. You'll want a couple of Underquilts, and bug nets.

Two sites I can think of that have all of that is Arrowhead-Equipment.com and WarbonnetOutdoors.com, though there are others worth looking at as well. AHE sells a half net that works well without much fuss, has some less expensive UQs, and has probably the largest tarp on the market, and I think takes custom orders, too.

That's my easy way out suggestions. Plenty of DIY here if you don't want to spend the dough.

p.s. tie off the tarp to the tree so that its unaffected by getting into and out of the hammock.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    The hanging varies depending on the site so eventually I'll get two separate tarps that pack down better than my current walmart tarps. We currently have one bug net. It's a diffrerent brand but a copy of the one eno sells. I might hold off on the other bugnet as I'm thinking of replacing my wifes single nest with the warbonnet bridge. I think that style of hammock would work for her. As for the underquilts I'm keeping an eye on the for sale section hoping to grab two summer weight UQs.

Thanks for the tip on tying the tarp off to the tree. Thats the kind of info I'm looking for.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    I use a tarp line that I purchased from Whoopieslngs.com then added two little biners to my Kelty tarp and attached them to the prusik knots on the tarp line. http://whoopieslings.com/Tarp_Lines.html

For the tarp guylines, I use bowline knots to attach the lines to the tarp. I have added line loks to the guylines too. Lots of my attachments are loop the line around 2-3 times and tie a double half-hitch. That is probably equal to or just a step above granny knots.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Best and most entertaining and engaging place to start is probably with Shug's Hammock How to series.

As for specific answers:
    • I rig my tarp on its own line tied to the trees. The tarp stays on the line so all I have to do is pull it from my pack, hook one end up and then walk over and hook the other end up, pull snake skins and stake it out.
    • I use a Marlin spike hitch to connect my whoopie slings to my tree straps.
    • My UQ has shock cord through the side channels in one big loop. I hook one end of the loop to each end of my hammock, if I need to tighten it up I just tie a quick overhand (granny) knot a little closer to the center.
    • As for knots, I use the Marlin spike hitch for my hammock suspension, a clove hitch on my tarp stakes, and slippery half hitches on any extra bits of line I have lying around once everything is hooked up. My tarp ridgeline uses Dutchware gear.

Once you get the right bits of gear and enough practice you'll be throwing your entire rig up while tenters are still assembling their tent poles.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    If it's speed you want, consider the Lazy Slug Tube sold by Wilderness Logics. Mine holds my hammock, both quilts, pillow, Sock, and anything else I decide to toss in.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Had I known! We were neighbors and we never had a hang out? If you're ever back in town we should hook up!

Have you seen my latest post on the quick tarp set up?

http://theultimatehang.com/2012/05/r...with-hardware/

Forgive the link, but this was quicker than posting all the forum links.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Buy dehoja's book called "The Ultimate Hang"
    You can get it at Amazon or his site linked above.
    Seriously, you'll be glad you did!

While you wait for it to be delivered, watch Shug's videos, also linked a few posts back.

OR... you could move back to Arizona! (Just kidding)
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Had I known! We were neighbors and we never had a hang out? If you're ever back in town we should hook up!

Have you seen my latest post on the quick tarp set up?

http://theultimatehang.com/2012/05/r...with-hardware/

Forgive the link, but this was quicker than posting all the forum links.
    Well I still have my house on Upper Greenlaw. I gotta come back and check on the tenant in the spring. Maybe we could hook up for an overnighter. Hopefully by then I'll be a more proficient hammock camper. I might have to go ahead and order your book.

Those videos make me homesick....I miss those woods!
    Last edited by domromer; 12-03-2012 at 21:51.

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Buy dehoja's book called "The Ultimate Hang"
    You can get it at Amazon or his site linked above.
    Seriously, you'll be glad you did!

While you wait for it to be delivered, watch Shug's videos, also linked a few posts back.

OR... you could move back to Arizona! (Just kidding)
    Thanks for the tips. I might go ahead and order that book. I'll check and see if REI is selling it. I have a little Birthday gift cert burning a hole in my pocket.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast