Tarp
    Hennessy Safari Ta
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    Carabiner / Rings

HH Safari Asym Classic Question(s)

Howdy everyone,

New poster, old lurker here! I recently got a HH Safari Asym Classic, and it's been great so far. My girlfriend's brother has an Expedition and that was my first real experience with a camping hammock. I'll probably never go back to a tent! I got the safari because my girlfriend and I are planning on doing some camping/hiking in it, and we're both fairly small people.

Now, onto my question. I can definitely tell a difference between the roominess of this one compared to the expedition, my only problem is that since there is so much more material, this hammock hangs super low to the ground. Unfortunately, my lady has been out of the country and she hasn't been able to jump in it with me, however, when I'm in it by myself, I'm nearly touching the ground. Could any of you possibly give me any tips or tricks for getting it further off the ground, if there are any? The only thing I can think to do at the moment is just hang it as high in the tree as possible. That's really not a big deal, I'm somewhat of a monkey and I can climb tree's easily anyhow, but this might not be the best tactic to do everyday if we end up going on an AT thru-hike.

Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Wesley

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WesleyGalles View Post
    Howdy everyone,

New poster, old lurker here! I recently got a HH Safari Asym Classic, and it's been great so far. My girlfriend's brother has an Expedition and that was my first real experience with a camping hammock. I'll probably never go back to a tent! I got the safari because my girlfriend and I are planning on doing some camping/hiking in it, and we're both fairly small people.

Now, onto my question. I can definitely tell a difference between the roominess of this one compared to the expedition, my only problem is that since there is so much more material, this hammock hangs super low to the ground. Unfortunately, my lady has been out of the country and she hasn't been able to jump in it with me, however, when I'm in it by myself, I'm nearly touching the ground. Could any of you possibly give me any tips or tricks for getting it further off the ground, if there are any? The only thing I can think to do at the moment is just hang it as high in the tree as possible. That's really not a big deal, I'm somewhat of a monkey and I can climb tree's easily anyhow, but this might not be the best tactic to do everyday if we end up going on an AT thru-hike.

Any advice or tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Wesley
    That is pretty much it, high on the tree! It won't help much to pull it tighter. Always seemed to me the tighter I pull a hammock, the more it sags and I end up just as low.

The Safari has a tremendous amount of sag. That is to say: it hangs way under the ridge line, more than any hammock I have seen, that is one reason it is so comfortable.

You can use hiking poles to push the straps higher on the tree.

PS: I forgot: choose trees as close together as you can find, as close as will work and allow you to fully stretch out the ridge line with a moderate tension. I have always found that the further apart the trees and the more rope or strap that is out there, the more it is going to droop after I get in.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Toxaway 2QZQ doors
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    DH cinch buckles
    BillyBob

I've noticed that if I hang my Safari on the tighter side I have less calf pressure, has that been your experience?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by potneck View Post
    BillyBob

I've noticed that if I hang my Safari on the tighter side I have less calf pressure, has that been your experience?
    The Safari is one of the very few hammocks that I never have any leg pressure problems with. So I can't really speak to that. Then again, I mostly use that hammock on a Vario stand. And like all ridgelined hammocks I use with this stand I really pull it tight. Trying to overcome some of the flex in the stand. So maybe there is something to what you say. Still, the stand always still flexes some. So after I am in, the RL is not super tight. But I will pay attention to this.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Toxaway 2QZQ doors
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    DH cinch buckles
    Thanks,

I noticed you post a lot about the Safari. Its my first and only hammock so far. I have tried several suspensions, Woopies, JRB Triglides, and currently decender rings. I have some of Dutch's Cinch Buckles, straps & Amsteel loops in the mail. I am expecting that to be where I'll settle. I had the Mod 4 and the Velcro removed and bottom entry sewn up by 2QZQ. Outstanding work and customer service from them. I think am about to arrive at the perfect hammock for my size and weight. I've benefited a lot from your posts. Thanks for the reply.

• + New Posts