Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmich View Post
    , I cannot hammock well with a pad. ......... Really i'm just debating whether I should even bother with a pad at all...
    before I hiked the AT, I had a terrible time with pads as well.
    For some reason, the Neo worked.
    It may not be the solution for you.

I did bring along a little sit pad (about 12" x 18" ) that I got from someone on the PIF thread. THAT little thing was invaluable. I would sit on it when it was wet. I used it under my feet in my hammock when it was cold. I used it to stave off bears...(just kidding)
    I saw one of Shug;s vids and thought the idea was silly.
    by day 2, it was necessary- at least for me.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I hiked a little over 500 miles of the AT this spring and used an UQ the entire time. There were only a couple times in the rain of course that I would have considered sleeping in the shelter.

I am returning to the trail next May and am considering taking a NeoAir Xlite. If you go this route I would encourage you to take the Large size which is 25" wide. My full length 20 degree UQ weighs about 1lb 9oz....the Xlite large weighs 16oz, so there's a savings of 9oz right there. Of course if you have a short UQ I'm not sure about the weight savings if any. It also takes up far less room in your pack, you don't have to worry about it getting wet and it's super easy to set up. My large Xlite takes about twenty puffs to inflate the way I like it. I also believe that not all hostels provide mattresses so there's another potential use.

The one other thing I don't like about pads is that they don't always keep your shoulder/upper arms warm, so you may have to carry extra padding to create some "wings". One half of the Thermarest Zlite is great for that and it makes a super nice sit pad. Half Zlite weighs 6oz btw. Even with that I'm still lighter than the UQ.

I still haven't decided and am currently experimenting.

One last thing....inflatable pads can uninflate when you least expect it.

Good luck with your choice, Miguel

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Web for now
    Interesting conversation!

What hammocks has everyone used? The NeoAir is really appealing as a pad. I've got an UQ coming soon to try out, but might pickup a NeoAir to compare it with, as well as to test the two together for a winter setup.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peripatew View Post
    Interesting conversation!

What hammocks has everyone used? The NeoAir is really appealing as a pad. I've got an UQ coming soon to try out, but might pickup a NeoAir to compare it with, as well as to test the two together for a winter setup.
    Last night I tried my NoeAir Xlite in my Ridgerunner. I'm not sure of the temps but it was probably in the 40s when I went to bed....snowing when I got up.

I initially put the Xlite in the sleeve of the Ridge Runner with a half of a Thermarest Zlite inside the hammock acting as wings. I awoke in the middle if the night to cold legs, cold feet and a sweaty back.

Later around 6:00 AM I decided to experiment. I took the Xlite out of the sleeve and put it right inside the hammock so I could lay directly on it. I placed the Thermarest Zlite under the Xlite as wings. Much to my surprise my feet and legs quickly warmed up. Even my back which was clammy from before became warm. I also think that having the Xlite inside elevated me off the hammock bed more which gave me the feeling of not needing the wings so much. With the Ridgerunner the sides don't come up much....with a regular gathered end hammock the effect might not be so noticeable.

I will also say that the NeoAir Xlite has a somewhat sticky feel to it which greatly helps keep it in place. Some people complain of the noise of the Xlites but I believe they are referring to older models. My new one is quite quiet.

Miguel

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Last night I tried my NoeAir Xlite in my Ridgerunner. I'm not sure of the temps but it was probably in the 40s when I went to bed....snowing when I got up.

I initially put the Xlite in the sleeve of the Ridge Runner with a half of a Thermarest Zlite inside the hammock acting as wings. I awoke in the middle if the night to cold legs, cold feet and a sweaty back.

Later around 6:00 AM I decided to experiment. I took the Xlite out of the sleeve and put it right inside the hammock so I could lay directly on it. I placed the Thermarest Zlite under the Xlite as wings. Much to my surprise my feet and legs quickly warmed up. Even my back which was clammy from before became warm. I also think that having the Xlite inside elevated me off the hammock bed more which gave me the feeling of not needing the wings so much. With the Ridgerunner the sides don't come up much....with a regular gathered end hammock the effect might not be so noticeable.

I will also say that the NeoAir Xlite has a somewhat sticky feel to it which greatly helps keep it in place. Some people complain of the noise of the Xlites but I believe they are referring to older models. My new one is quite quiet.

Miguel
    Thanks for sharing your discovery, Miguel. It's very timely for me as I am debating on getting a Ridgerunner and really have a hard time carrying the weight of a double layer. With your newly found information I might just get a single layer and use it with my neoair. I tend to move a lot when I sleep and wonder if laying directly on the pad in the bridge if the pad would shift around and become a nuisance. Any thoughts?

S

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Thanks for sharing your discovery, Miguel. It's very timely for me as I am debating on getting a Ridgerunner and really have a hard time carrying the weight of a double layer. With your newly found information I might just get a single layer and use it with my neoair. I tend to move a lot when I sleep and wonder if laying directly on the pad in the bridge if the pad would shift around and become a nuisance. Any thoughts?

S
    Well....there are several NeoAirs....I have the Xlite and can only speak to that model. The Xlite has a slightly sticky, almost waxy feel to it. It really grips the hammock material. I was surprised when I tried to move my body on it, I found it a bit difficult even to slide myself. I kind of had to actually lift myself a bit to reposition myself. I really like it and it did not move an inch in the couple of hours that I used it inside with me directly on it. It also wasn't too bad side sleeping with it although I'm always on my back in all my hammocks.

One thing I should mention....if you put it inside (single layer) it will place you up higher making a Ridgerunner tippier than it already is. I tested that and found it very tolerable.

I'm still glad I have the double...when it's warmer I would definitely use the sleeve. It's just more comfortable and that extra layer adds very little weight.

Hope that helped some, Miguel

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos View Post
    I thru hiked the AT this year.

In GA, I used an UQ and sock , although I had trouble using the sock. (I ditched that after several tries.)

After I got half way through NC, I sent my UQ home and used a Z lite.
    this was a really great set up until I got into VT and NH.
    The Z lite hung up on trees and rocks and it felt like I was being pushed from behind. NOT FUN!! -esp with those climbs.
    So I switched to a Neo Air Trekker thru VT, NH and Maine.
    It was the best set up ever, esp with a couple of downpours that I either had to take a break at a shelter or sleep in the shelter due to so much rain.
    It was only a couple of times though.

you can get a better idea of my day to day happenings, if you are so inclined at:
    www.trailjournals.com/twoisles

feel free to PM if you have any more questions.
    Curious...did you find it necessary to use wings with your NeoAir? My upper arms and shoulders become cold without wings. I see people use pads/mattresses in their hammocks and they seem to be OK. Maybe they are side sleepers which would make a difference I suppose. I'm always flat on my back with my arms usually pressed up against the side of the hammock.

Thanks, Miguel

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Curious...did you find it necessary to use wings with your NeoAir? My upper arms and shoulders become cold without wings. I see people use pads/mattresses in their hammocks and they seem to be OK. Maybe they are side sleepers which would make a difference I suppose. I'm always flat on my back with my arms usually pressed up against the side of the hammock.

Thanks, Miguel
    Miguel-

I used a Neo Air, inflated it fully, then let a bit of air out so the mattress wasn't chock full. It did not slide near as much.
    Also, being female, I am a little narrower than the Neo Air Trekker.
    If I did roll on my sides, I would have to center myself on the mat. Not a big deal.

I know some people on the AT this year that had problems with their air tube.
    But they also had first runs or versions of their models.
    Mine was the second run and also not near as crinkly, sound-wise.

Dos
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Images

Miguel
    So Miguel, is this right: removing a nylon layer of hammock from between you and the Neoair pad warmed you up significantly, and warmed your feet up as well? And did your back dry out also? Or do you attribute this increase in warmth to something other than getting the pad out of the sleeve? Very, very interesting!

And about the noise: are you talking about a popping sound, like when you pop the bubbles in packing material? I did not notice it much with a Neoair All Season in the pad sleeve of a JRB BMBH, but when I laid on the floor with it it popped like crazy. When I laid on it again next day, the popping noise was much reduced but still there. Has me wondering what all of that is.

Putting this pad inside the JRB BMBH pad sleeve totally did away with any shoulder issues and also allowed me to sleep full fetal with no problems. And felt pretty comfy, and way too warm at the temps we had a few days ago. I love the idea of being able to replace an UQ with a pad. Especially on trips where I even occasionally end up above timberline. Normally I count on my sit/leg pad for that rare emergency go to ground situation. But using a 2.5" Neoair for hammock insulation doesn't weigh much more or take up much more room than an UQ. And it sure would be a lot less miserable on the ground than my WM blue leg pad.

But I'm not sure I don't still prefer the MW UQs/BMBH combo for comfort over the pad/bmbh combo. 1st, the shoulder issue does not really bother me much any more. I am plenty comfy on my back anyway, and I really like the way the top quilt seems to be "funneled" down onto me, very snug. Most of all I like to get on my side and lean back into the side of the BMBH, and the sides support my back very well. And the MW UQs go up high around the sides providing me total warmth. It's a little less stable doing that with the pad, plus the area I lean on won't be insulated unless I figure something out with a piece of CCF. Now, there is enough room on my side where I don't have to lean into the side, but I do like to do it.

Then again, a pad/hammock combo that is pretty comfy is just so much more secure than an UQ. No moisture issues, I don't think wind would be as much of an issue, and good to go for any ground or shelter situation that might arise. Sigh. ( hopefully all of the above relates to the OP of UQ and sleeping pad? )
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 12-05-2012 at 23:11.

Images
    Oh Miguel, one more thing: sounds like you were plenty warm - at least once you got the pad out of the pad pocket ( strange! ) - with the Xlite at about freezing? That is with an R value of 3.2. So that All Season with an R of 4.9 should be warm well below 20 maybe?

But then again, oyu did have CCF wings, which ran under the Nep pad. So maybe that would have added a good bit of torso warmth?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast