WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    There are several trails that could work for us. Bat Lake, Hemlock Bluff, Mizzy Lake, Peck Lake, Track and Tower and Whiskey Rapids are all recommended for snow shoeing on the Algonquin Outfitters site. They should all have some kind of parking although I don't know if they will be plowed. Thoughts?

The Mew Lake option is certainly good for people that have not winter camped and for people that have come and go at different times.

There is a 5 km side trail that follows an abandoned railway from the Track and Tower trail to Mew Lake so we could also go that way from Mew Lake.

My preference is to snow shoe in a couple/few km's (depending on the weather and the condition of the trail) and make camp. If I'm going to drive 5+ hours, I'd like to feel like I'm going out into the woods if you know what I mean. Part of what I loved last year was the challenge. The issue of course would be how would people arriving at different times find each other? I can say with certainty that I won't be getting to the park until mid day. Thoughts on this?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Images
    Last year, I was able to get back into the bush far enough from the Mew Lake campground to feel like I was alone. There were lots of trees for hanging and no problems finding standing firewood. I was close enough to the campground (about half a km.) to use the heated washroom in the morning.

I did hear people walking by on the trail (I was about 100 m. off the trail) during the day and I suspect that this year, it will be busier. The other concern is parking. With the Family Day activities, parking will be at a premium.

I'd prefer not to fight the crowds at the campground. Perhaps one of the other lakes suggested by Bubba. I'm with him about getting back at least a couple of kms. I'm in regardless of what location.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    There are several trails that could work for us. Bat Lake, Hemlock Bluff, Mizzy Lake, Peck Lake, Track and Tower and Whiskey Rapids are all recommended for snow shoeing on the Algonquin Outfitters site. They should all have some kind of parking although I don't know if they will be plowed. Thoughts?
    Here is a link to the Friends of Algonquin site that shows the trails that have plowed parking in the winter. Several of which Bubba has already mentioned. If the trails are regularly used for snowshoeing then they should be packed somewhat (fresh snow fall depending).

http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit...nquin-park.php

Scroll down to Interpretative Trails

I would like to get more of the quiet back country feeling too for the same reason as Bubba. However my drive is a couple hours shorter than his.

Cheers

Brian
    Last edited by BrianWillan; 01-24-2013 at 11:50.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Took a quick glance at the trails and the Mizzy Lake and Whiskey Rapids trails look promising. Going into a trail for a bit and then veering off a few hundred metres to find a nice area should give adequate privacy yet still be fairly accessible from the cars and not too difficult for late comers to find. Thoughts?

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Took a quick glance at the trails and the Mizzy Lake and Whiskey Rapids trails look promising. Going into a trail for a bit and then veering off a few hundred metres to find a nice area should give adequate privacy yet still be fairly accessible from the cars and not too difficult for late comers to find. Thoughts?
    Sounds very promising. We can always throw a HammockForums logos on the dash of a couple of our cars and string up some temporary marking tape for those people coming after the main group. If the terrain is rolling that'll be perfect.

I'm also a little worried about my knee and a long distance trek... We'll see.
    Last edited by Chard; 01-24-2013 at 11:49.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Although I can't make this one due to the lack of gear yet, I have a suggestion for you that I snagged from another forum.

Mew Lake itself is considered an organized campground and therefore the rules in regards to the number of 'sleeping unit's is in force. Also the campground fees are high.

Just adjacent to it is the old airstrip- it's considered 'backcountry' but is close enough to Mew that the heated facilities are readily available. Backcountry fees apply here. I've not been there but I'm betting that the edges of it have enough treed area to suit.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The Mizzy Lake Trail says it visits 9 beaver ponds. So unless we are melting snow for water, this would be less than desirable even with boiling. This trail is also 11km long. Granted we could just walk in some distance and then walk back out the same way to save doing the whole loop.

The Whiskey Rapids trail looks interesting as it is only 2.1km loop trail.

Cheers

Brian
    Last edited by BrianWillan; 01-24-2013 at 18:17.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I wouldn't want to do the entire trail or complete any trail loop for that matter. Only really looking at the trails as an entry point and for their parking. I'd melt snow for sure on the Mizzy trail. I'm guessing the Whiskey rapids would be good for a water source since there's a good chance of access without too much danger or ice breaking. After Mongrel told me his story about going onto the ice to get lake water, I'm happy to find some part of a river that is shallow and not frozen over and where falling through does seem as great a danger. I know getting soaked and becoming hypothermic is a concern regardless but drowning is another matter. I could be wrong though.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Good input.. I'm in agreement with Bubba; if we want to consider a Algonquin trail, we'll likely be camping not too far away from the vehicles to allow people access to their vehicles in the event of an emergency, access to additional gear, bail out.... Mongrel's point about Mew is well taken.

I haven't been on the Whiskey trail, but I like the sounds of it (Laphroig rocks!!) and from what I read, it crosses some diverse terrain. The only problem is that it may have some inclines. Anybody ever walk that trail?

As far as water goes, I'd suggest we plan on bringing in a few litres of starter water and then melting what we need. I doubt it's wise to be poking around the Oxtounge river near the Whiskey Rapids looking to dip some water.

Summary:
    • Mew Campground - unlikely - too busy
    • Mew vicinity possible - possible - People & traffic vs. heated washrooms
    • Hwy 60 Winter trail - likely - short hike in, backcountry experiece - looks promising
    • Niger Lake.. No word..
    Last edited by Chard; 01-24-2013 at 16:49.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    If I remember right, the first bit of Whiskey is a steep down hill, maybe 15m, but the rest roughly follows the creek so is pretty flat. With snow it'd be pretty easy to slide down but getting up would be a challenge if it's at all icy (though I'm sure a detour to fresh snow could be found).

Heck, 1 km hike may be doable for my foot. Will have to wait to see though.
    Last edited by keg; 01-24-2013 at 17:42.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast