Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    Summary:
    • Mew Campground - unlikely - too busy
    • Mew vicinity possible - possible - People & traffic vs. heated washrooms
    • Hwy 60 Winter trail - likely - short hike in, backcountry experiece - looks promising
    • Niger Lake.. No word..
    This major issues for me with crown land camping are parking and vehicle security. Secondary issue is noise from snowmobiles. Since we are going on a long weekend in winter, this is likely to be an issue. I would think most are looking for a peaceful back country camping experience.

Of course, going to Algonquin Park takes care of my major issues. On the down side for some would be no ice fishing and the nominal back country camping fees.

Cheers

Brian
    Last edited by BrianWillan; 01-24-2013 at 22:19.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge, Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, W/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings/MSH
    Images
    Well, as quickly as I wanted to go, I now can't Apparently I'm going to Bon Jovi that weekend. Oh well, at least I can guarantee I won't get frostbite!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keg View Post
    If I remember right, the first bit of Whiskey is a steep down hill, maybe 15m, but the rest roughly follows the creek so is pretty flat. With snow it'd be pretty easy to slide down but getting up would be a challenge if it's at all icy (though I'm sure a detour to fresh snow could be found).

Heck, 1 km hike may be doable for my foot. Will have to wait to see though.
    Hope you can make it out.

Quote Originally Posted by va3rbz View Post
    Well, as quickly as I wanted to go, I now can't Apparently I'm going to Bon Jovi that weekend. Oh well, at least I can guarantee I won't get frostbite!
    Ha ha...apparently eh? Have fun, live on a prayer that maybe the concert will get rescheduled.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Suspension
    DIY tree hugger
    I've fished the river at Whiskey Rapids and I think the terrain would be a be a bit of a challenge in the winter. It drops down from the parking lot to the river with some pretty steep terain. Be careful and enjoy the outing.
    I do not wish to be disturbed - but I can't help it!

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    So just found out that the event we were supposed to attend has been canceled. Tracey has given me the nod for this hang. Looks like I am back in.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by va3rbz View Post
    Well Shock to the Heart and Have a Nice Day . I'm going and I can guarantee I won't get frostbite either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodster View Post
    I've fished the river at Whiskey Rapids and I think the terrain would be a be a bit of a challenge in the winter. It drops down from the parking lot to the river with some pretty steep terain. Be careful and enjoy the outing.
    Certainly a good opportunity for a nice downhill ride on a pulk or toboggan. Might be less fun coming back to the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    So just found out that the event we were supposed to attend has been canceled. Tracey has given me the nod for this hang. Looks like I am back in.
    Good news on that front, Jayson. Is your newly converted buddy coming along too?

Cheers

Brian
    Last edited by BrianWillan; 01-26-2013 at 19:15.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Not sure if Austin will join in on the fun. Haven't had a chance to talk to him yet.

Hammock
    Speers
    Tarp
    Speers Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HG 20° Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Winter Hang

Hello All,

I have hiked the Whiskey Rapids trail a few times most recently the summer before last. It has a short steep downhill start and is relatively flat until a gradual 1/2 km incline back up to the finish. The river has numerous spots that would be safe for collecting water without worrying about rapids. Despite the recent deep freeze rivers in this area remain open wherever there is current (and unsafe to cross), which if you look at the trail map means we may only be able to camp "inside" the loop of the trail so being out of ear shot or even visual range of passersby may be difficult. In addition I believe that without foliage there is nowhere on the trail that you can't hear the highway. I haven't done this "off trail back country camping" before but I have spent a large amount of time in the park and on the day trails in recent years and I would say that the shorter more scenic trails get more of the winter traffic as well so Whiskey Rapids would definitely be included in that.

I had a look on google maps at the area behind Mew lake that one of the posts here referenced (near an old airstrip)... looks like a rail trail coming from that area cuts along the river to the back edge of Lake of Two Rivers (I think it is the Mtn Bike trail in the summer) that might provide what looks like a short trek to a lakeside/riverside bush area within reasonable distance of the heated washrooms and cars while being isolated enough from passersby to be considered wilderness?

I have a new (xmas present) pair of snowshoes that I haven't used and in addition I am in need of some preparatory exercise for this trip. If it has been decided that we are going to the park, I am more than happy to take a day and go in to the park and explore some potential sites/trails and report back. I don't know that I can do tons of snowshoeing in the shape I am in but if one or two sites become the favourites, I have a few days off this week and next and I would be glad to go look and report back? I will continue to search out "off park fishable" sites but have had little luck so far finding something I would try without going to see it in the summer first that isn't on an OFSC trail.

Let me know if there is any recon I can do and I will do my best.

Cheers

Cedar.
    ...to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach,...

Hammock
    Speers
    Tarp
    Speers Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    HG 20° Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Oh and...

Oh ya and...

Jay great to hear you are coming out!!

Bubba since cheese is in your tag line I feel obligated to say that your "livin on a prayer" attempt at humour was definitely pure CHEESE!

Looking forward to this!

Cedar
    ...to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach,...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Yeah Cedar sometimes I crack(er) myself up.

Because the back country is open to us, we could always park in the lot and venture to outside of the Whiskey Rapids loop and head as far in as needed.
    Last edited by Bubba; 01-27-2013 at 14:20.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast