DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images

Canada>Ontario>Feb 2013 - EGL Winter Hang 2013

EGL Winter Hang - Feb 2013

I just wanted to get the snowball rolling on our first hang of 2013!

Dates: Feb 16th - 18th 2013 - But really anytime from mid to late February
    Duration: 2 nights - With the option of additional nights for those hardcore hangers with time on their hands
    Destination: Say Algonquin or vicinity: Somewhere between the Lakes Simcoe and Nippissing and the Georgian Bay and the Ottawa River.

Aiming for a weekend in the bush away from the hustle and bustle of the daily grind. Expect light to moderate snowshoeing, some excellent EGL backcountry cuisine and hopefully some ice-fishing.

Suggestions for locations are always welcome. Last year we passed on Niger Lake, Ontario (Lat: 45°24'1.57"N / Long: 78°50'41.65"W). It's a crown land lake about one kilometer south of highway 60, just below the SW corner of Algonquin (no park camping fees). There's a parking lot and snowmobile trails leading up and over the hill. It won't be as quiet during the day as Algonquin's interior, but I imagine, come nightfall, things should settle down. It also allows ice-fishing, which would be a nice bonus.

Get out those winter quilts and pack your mittens!!!!!

Chard

Best Winter Camping Theme Shot Ever!!!
    Last edited by Chard; 12-07-2012 at 07:34.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Hope I can get out. We should finalize a date ASAP so people like me can arrange for time off work and make other necessary arrangement. I'm open to any location although some of us at the last hang discussed something a little less strenuous than last time.

Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I'm open to any location although some of us at the last hang discussed something a little less strenuous than last time.
    True 'dat!!!!

For an out-of-shape rookie snowshoer, last year's trek was pushing the limits of ... everything! It felt like doing an elliptical workout for two and a half hours on the hard setting. At this point in my personal fitness improvement program , I'd rather do ten kilometers of hard packed trail than one kilometer of soft powder trail breaking.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    True 'dat!!!!

...I'd rather do ten kilometers of hard packed trail than one kilometer of soft powder trail breaking.
    Same here. IIRC I threw up several times on the trail due to lack of proper hydration, lack of sleep and overexrtion...it was still fun though.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chard View Post
    [IMG]
    EGL Winter Hang - Feb 2013

I just wanted to get the snowball rolling on our first hang of 2013!

Dates: Feb 15th - 17th 2013 - But really anytime from mid to late February
    Duration: 2 nights - With the option of additional nights for those hardcore hangers with time on their hands
    Destination: Say Algonquin or vicinity: Somewhere between the Lakes Simcoe and Nippissing and the Georgian Bay and the Ottawa River.
    Chard

If you're looking to do the Family Day weekend again, then the dates you picked above are the Friday to Sunday. Picking the 16-18th (Sat-Mon) allows for a 2 night trip without having to use a holiday day.

For those with traditional snowshoes, be sure to do your maintenance on them before the winter season starts in earnest.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Chard

If you're looking to do the Family Day weekend again, then the dates you picked above are the Friday to Sunday. Picking the 16-18th (Sat-Mon) allows for a 2 night trip without having to use a holiday day.

For those with traditional snowshoes, be sure to do your maintenance on them before the winter season starts in earnest.

Cheers

Brian
    Good point, Thanks Brian. My calendar doesn't show civic holidays. So let's talk about the 16-18th... It sounds like a 3 night weekend might even be in the cards (but that would be crazy!)...

The only thing is that the Family Day weekend might not be good for some people with family plans. Let's hear some feedback.

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Hey Chard. I am in for that weekend, good to go for three nights. Tracey not so much, turns out she doesnt care for the cold.
    Crownland or Provincial park are both fine by me. I might have buddy interested...he isnt a hammoker tho...hope that is ok!???

Awaiting further details.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
    Hey Chard. I am in for that weekend, good to go for three nights. Tracey not so much, turns out she doesnt care for the cold.
    Crownland or Provincial park are both fine by me. I might have buddy interested...he isnt a hammoker tho...hope that is ok!???

Awaiting further details.
    Tracey's probably's got a level of common sense that eludes the rest of us... Too bad though. As for your friend, no probs of course, the more the merrier. I'm sure once he sees how cozy a hammock/underquilt can be, he'll be hooked.

Cheers

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

Hammock
    HH explorer deluxe
    Tarp
    hex tarp
    Insulation
    wrapped 2" airpad
    Suspension
    ascenders/biners
    Oh i like the sound of that! I don't however own snowshoes, would you describe them as 100% necessary or just helpful? Either way i guess that gives me 2 months to find some if i have to.
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
    Mark Twain

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Put it this way. Breaking through powder on the way in, if you didn't have snowshoes you'd sink up to your thigh every other step. On the way back, once the track had time to set up, I managed to walk the whole way back in my boots and didn't sink once.

Of course everything depends on the amount of snowfall, but based on last year, if we're breaking trail: snowshoes are a must. If we're only following a well established snowshoe/snowmobile track, maybe you could get away with boots until we start setting up camp, when snowshoes will be necessary to move around for the first few hours at least. Play it safe.. wintercamping in the bush requires snowshoes. Remember, we might get more snow while we're there and we'd hate to have to come back for you (or what's left) in the spring.

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    EGL Trip Reports:

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast