WLLO
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE NR UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies

Two uses

I'm looking for a pad that I can use in my hammock, but also will be sufficient enough to use on the floor/ground for when I stay at someone's house. I would like something better than a Walmart pad, and also not inflatable. Other then that i'm not picky.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    If you are not too worried about weight, an Exped is the Cadillac of pads. A little heavy for some for backpacking.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottybdiving View Post
    If you are not too worried about weight, an Exped is the Cadillac of pads. A little heavy for some for backpacking.
    +1 on Expeds. They rock. There are two UL versions that are great.

If you don't want inflatable, it's tough to go wrong with a thermarest zlite. It's one of the more comfy (relatively) closed cell options. A closed cell will never be as good as an inflatable from that standpoint though. You may need to combine either option with a wider bit at your shoulders or use something like the Eno Hotspot to slide the pad in and use the wings for shoulder coverage.
    http://www.rei.com/product/830279/en...ping-pad-wings
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    WLLO
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE NR UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Okay cool. I'll check out both of those. Weight is not an issue add I don't do much backpacking right now. I'll check out an REI next time I get and see what I decide. Might have to do some test naps while i'm there i'm a pretty narrow dude though, so I might not need the ENO pad extender thing

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    That's a good way to go. Nothing beats trying it in person. The z kites aren't as comfy and the Expeds are the best but are expensive. You might also at leas look at the neo airs and big Agnes insulated Air core as two additional options.
    Brian
    Denver, CO

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Having tried pads in gathered end hammocks... not my thing, except for the foot pad.

Not having tried but it makes sense to me:

Get a bridge hammock with a mat. Hanging and ground dwelling should be sorted.

I have an Exped Down (7) for my ground dwelling activities (not in use much...) and they are great....

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    WLLO
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE NR UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I will check out the air core and big Agnes too. I want to get the right right one. i'm 5' 10" 150lbs, so how big of a pad should I get? And how thick?

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bkautzman89 View Post
    I will check out the air core and big Agnes too. I want to get the right right one. i'm 5' 10" 150lbs, so how big of a pad should I get? And how thick?
    A standard size (20x72") will be plenty good for the ground. In the hammock, though, something a good bit wider at the shoulders is needed, which is where the Eno Hotspot comes in. It lets you use a standard pad (20 inches wide in most cases) and have wings that cover your shoulders. That's the way I would go to get the best multi-use out of it.

Most of the inflatable pads are 2.5 - 3" when blown up on the ground. Most recommend keeping them only partially inflated when in the hammock so that they conform better and are more comfortable. Most closed-cell foam ones are 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
    Brian
    Denver, CO

Hammock
    WLLO
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE NR UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Hmmm....alright. I read a post about someone gluing two pads together to help stay warm, would that make the hammock a bit more uncomfortable? I know it would make the ground slightly better

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    The Exped UL 7 downmat weighs 20 oz and is R-5.9 (one of the highest R-values in any pad line). I love mine. Also, the therm-a-rest prolite plus women's pad is R-4.6 and is around 20 oz. but only 66" long. I also have one of them and like it both in a hammock and on the ground.

• + New Posts