WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by justin12234 View Post
    I'm not really set on anything specific, I was thinking of getting the kelty Noah 9.

Also, does anyone know if for straps I can just buy 10 or 12 feet of 3/8 or 1/2 inch polyester webbing from strapworks and cut it in half and put knots with loops on the end and just burn the ends to stop it from unwrapping?
    A minimum of one inch is typically recommended for the safety of the trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    A minimum of one inch is typically recommended for the safety of the trees.
    Did not know that, thanks.

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    A Walmart hammock and a 8/10 tarp is a good way to start! Then save and do research !
    If you can't make your own just save up and invest some money in some decent gear! I have a GT SKB and it's too small for me! So I saved and got a DD and then a Hennesey. It's trial and error till you find the hammock and method for you!
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

Hammock
    DIY or Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Bonefire Deluxe
    Images
    Welcome to HF. You're doing your homework first and asking questions. Whatever you go with, you're on the right track.

"The Ultimate Hang" is a great book for new hangers. Derek has a lot of good info on his site: http://theultimatehang.com/ The book is highly recommended.

TallPaul put together some quick start tips for folks new to HF. It can be found here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=61443

One word about using generic ratchet/tie down straps...nylon stretches enough to let you sag to the ground by morning. Make sure you go with polyester webbing, 1500lb break strength is considered to be a minimum. That gives you a safe working load of around 300lbs.

The tablecloth hammocks require no sewing and are pretty inexpensive. You will have to add a suspension. Keep your eye on the For Sale forum. Some good deals can be had there with a bit of patience.

+1 on getting to a group hang. Not as many this time of year, but they are well worth the effort of getting to a few. Good friends and lots of hammocks to check out.

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies

diy gear Q's

It will be 90% car camping and 10% hike.... it'll be cheaper to buy the gear than buy a sewing machine.

..... and I'm still clueless on most of the stuff on the forums.
    though i am a NOOB myself & am basically just lurking, i couldn't help chiming in about your comment

i am a retired school teacher who, because of financial necessity, had to "DIY" most everything i ever did

long ago, i learned how inexpensive used sewing machines are & how easy it is to learn how to use one(not necessarily use w/ finesse, just use)

i just did a search on Craigslist & there are a lot of machines out there, for really reasonable prices, even a NIB Brother for just $85

for DIY gear making & repair, i found the old Singer treadle machines to be as good as any, when it comes to making good/sound straight stitches

the newer units that offer a good ZIG-ZAG stitch do well w/ the synthetics

& if you can find one w/ a WALKING FOOT, you will have 1 SERIOUS DIY MACHINE

they're out there & the quest adds to the ultimate pleasure of DIY

just 2¢ worth from a chronologically advanced crepitation

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Between me and my dad we managed to scrounge up 20 ft of green poly strap that he had in a box of archery arrows and it got me thinking of making some toggles out of some of the aluminum arrows and tent stakes, and ive pretty much decided on going on ahead and getting the Kelty Noah 12. After seeing how big it is and the reviews, plus being able to hang it in the rain with doors really got wanting to get it. I'm also trying to think on how to use the mes black bag without cutting or nodding it. I was thinking of putting marbles on the edges and wrapping with a continuous loop and attaching it to shock cord lines on both sides of the hammock. I don't want to mod the sleeping bags because I wont be the only one using it and it'll be used in a tent also. L

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Between me and my dad we managed to scrounge up 20 ft of green poly strap that he had in a box of archery arrows and it got me thinking of making some toggles out of some of the aluminum arrows and tent stakes, and ive pretty much decided on going on ahead and getting the Kelty Noah 12. After seeing how big it is and the reviews, plus being able to hang it in the rain with doors really got wanting to get it. I'm also trying to think on how to use the mes black bag without cutting or nodding it. I was thinking of putting marbles on the edges and wrapping with a continuous loop and attaching it to shock cord lines on both sides of the hammock. I don't want to mod the sleeping bags because I wont be the only one using it and it'll be used in a tent also. L
    If memory serves, the intermediate bag doesn't have a full-length zipper. However, if you're willing to poke an hole in the foot end to allow your suspension to slide through, you can use it as an impromptu peapod.

Now, it won't have as much room for you to lie on the diagonal as you'll probably like--in fact, if you're my size, it'll probably be a bit uncomfortable. But that's one possible way of getting around using it like that.

Another option is to purchase a poncho liner and go the no-sew PLUQ route; liners can be had for ~$20 to ~$30 depending on local prices and/or shipping rates. Cord locks and shock cord for it will run you ~$5 to $10. Which makes for an underquilt in the ~$25 to ~$50 range. It's good for most folks down to the mid-forties or low fifties (depending on how warm you sleep). A poncho liner can also be used as a top quilt (so, another ~$20 to $30) down to about the same range for most folks.

If you do eventually get a sewing machine, additional insulation in the PLUQ can get you down into the 20s (I've successfully used my sewn-up version as low as 25* F without supplementary insulation, and I've survived at 21* F--though I was very cold that night). Anyway, just a couple of thoughts on insulation that might help you save some cash.

The poncho liners aren't particularly light for their insulative value, nor do they compress well. However, if you're only doing a couple of miles' hike, that matters a lot less than if you're trying to finish 25+ mile days.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    My one bit of advice would be to put slightly more into the hammock to start with so you don't get put-off hammock camping from the get-go. Warbonnet Travelers new are $60 and I am sure you could pick up a used one for what you might end up spending on a lower-end hammock. Just say'n.

Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    If memory serves, the intermediate bag doesn't have a full-length zipper. However, if you're willing to poke an hole in the foot end to allow your suspension to slide through, you can use it as an impromptu peapod.

Now, it won't have as much room for you to lie on the diagonal as you'll probably like--in fact, if you're my size, it'll probably be a bit uncomfortable. But that's one possible way of getting around using it like that.

Another option is to purchase a poncho liner and go the no-sew PLUQ route; liners can be had for ~$20 to ~$30 depending on local prices and/or shipping rates. Cord locks and shock cord for it will run you ~$5 to $10. Which makes for an underquilt in the ~$25 to ~$50 range. It's good for most folks down to the mid-forties or low fifties (depending on how warm you sleep). A poncho liner can also be used as a top quilt (so, another ~$20 to $30) down to about the same range for most folks.

If you do eventually get a sewing machine, additional insulation in the PLUQ can get you down into the 20s (I've successfully used my sewn-up version as low as 25* F without supplementary insulation, and I've survived at 21* F--though I was very cold that night). Anyway, just a couple of thoughts on insulation that might help you save some cash.

The poncho liners aren't particularly light for their insulative value, nor do they compress well. However, if you're only doing a couple of miles' hike, that matters a lot less than if you're trying to finish 25+ mile days.

Hope it helps!
    thanks for the advice, ive looked at the poncho liner underquilt but with most of the liners costing around $20, on armygear.net i can get the patrol bag for $14.98 and the black intermediate bag for $18.98 used and in very good condition, and since i dont have any sleeping bags at all i was going to just going to buy both bags.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123