Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    So it's impossible now to get Polarguard (isn't it?), and Ayce is saying the Climashield supply is drying up? Any ideas of what will replace the Climashield?
    No idea for a replacement.
    I never wanted Polarguard and Climashield is a victim of the economic problems
    Here is a copy of Ayce's email to me:
    "The rumor RE western nonwovens is true. They're a victim of the credit crunch and were unable to raise the capital they needed for continuing operations. It is unknown at this time what will happen and supply disruptions have already begun.
    I have all 3 basis weights still in stock, but to avoid disappointment I would not wait to get what you need
    "
    This email is from 6 Nov 2008.
    FWIW, I'm a down fan. Climashield quilt was so easy to make, awesome performance, and CHEAP! honestly, I made my first Climashield quilt as practice for a down one. I'll still do down...after I wear these out!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Ditto on the down, but it troubles me to see the cheaper options disappear. A "disturbance in the force", so to speak.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    1- where to get patterns, material or kits?
    link to kick *** quilts great DIY instructions for an underquilt. To modify, make a rectangle (no darts) and sew
    2- what modifications you have made to your quilt or would suggest making?
    I persoanlly do not like omni tape(velcro) or a sewn footbox. I used a draw string at the footend and then 3 sets of snaps 7" apart to form the footbox. Undo the snap and poof, you have a flat quilt again. Works great for little effort (snaps compress together - no sewing). I did reinforce the snap areas with sewn in pieces of grosgrain.

I like the sewn foot box feature on some pre-sewn quilts
    See above description of footbox

...and your right, NOBODY knows quilts like the people (not me) on this site. Ask away, they will steer you right
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    Ask away, they will steer you right...
    ...into bankruptcy or severe OCD, your choice. This month, we're offering both for the price of one!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Take the money you save on this and buy a cuben poncho from Mountain Laurel Designs. That would be a killer summer kit.
    OK, you made me look.

While it's true I have been accused of being a 'gram-weenie' from time to time, I'm not sure about that rig. They do disclose: "This SUL poncho is for experienced SUL Hikers. It is much smaller and less durable than the Silnylon MLD Pro Poncho. If you expect significant rain or off trail use on a trip, this may not be the poncho to choose". At only 3.9oz, that would offset quite a bit of synthetic insulation. It would also however, offset a lot the of cost savings ($155).

Besides, these days I'm rolling nice and heavy, even got the 'husky' version of the BB. After a several months of choosing between Twinkies and PopTarts I've graduated to just carrying both!
    Trust nobody!

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    OK, you made me look.

While it's true I have been accused of being a 'gram-weenie' from time to time, I'm not sure about that rig. They do disclose: "This SUL poncho is for experienced SUL Hikers. It is much smaller and less durable than the Silnylon MLD Pro Poncho. If you expect significant rain or off trail use on a trip, this may not be the poncho to choose". At only 3.9oz, that would offset quite a bit of synthetic insulation. It would also however, offset a lot the of cost savings ($155).

Besides, these days I'm rolling nice and heavy, even got the 'husky' version of the BB. After a several months of choosing between Twinkies and PopTarts I've graduated to just carrying both!
    I think that MLD poncho would work great on the AT when it was warm enough to be appropriate, I used an Integral Designs sil poncho this summer and was well pleased with it. You may have an issue in late June/July with overgrown poorly maintained sections, I didn't see much of that from Wayah Gap NC south. The ultimate mutli-use may well be HC4U's Dri Duck's poncho since it could also protect and extend your UQ.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    The RayWay quilt Is an easy to sew option www.ray-way.com/quilt/index.htm

Discounting the 2 hours I wasted trying to sew it insulation side up, it took me just 2 hrs to sew, from taking it out of the box to testing it in my hammock.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Stick around long enough and we'll talk you out of being a ground dweller!
    maybe!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    you can look at Thru-Hiker's down quilt kit and choose the fabric color, shell material, and down fill.
    You can use my instructions if you need additional help. On my instructions, you may not use the size or shape of the quilt but it will give you pointers on how to sew, how to fill down into the chambers, etc...

good luck! doing this will become a habit. Ive made 7 quilts. Gonna make more!
    great looking quilt, thanks for the detailed write up and photos

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I do love down; maybe a little too much.

That said, I'm planning to make a synthetic top quilt for the summer.
    1. I'm not as concerned with weight because I'm not carrying all the extra clothing
    2. Synthetic is easier to work with and A WHOLE LOT LESS messier
    3. Cheaper; lots and lots cheaper
    4. Most important to me for this discussion; Summer means rain. I'm very careful with my sleeping gear, but water is awfully sneaky. The synthetic makes me feel better about it if it does get a bit moist.

I would never argue with someone for wanting to do a down quilt, just trying to offer up some differing viewpoints.
    excellent points, all worth considering

thank you to everyone for your input, it's very much appreciated.

my mom is giving me her sewing machine when I go home for Christmas, probably won't be starting the quilt project until Jan/Feb. I'll let ya know what I decide down or synthetic and let you know how the project turns out or not.

Happy Holidays

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    link to kick *** quilts

I persoanlly do not like omni tape(velcro) or a sewn footbox. I used a draw string at the footend and then 3 sets of snaps 7" apart to form the footbox. Undo the snap and poof, you have a flat quilt again. Works great for little effort (snaps compress together - no sewing). I did reinforce the snap areas with sewn in pieces of grosgrain.
    i've been meaning to try the snap-close option as well. actually have some small snaps on the way. any problems with cold air getting in since it's not a full seal like velcro?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i've been meaning to try the snap-close option as well. actually have some small snaps on the way. any problems with cold air getting in since it's not a full seal like velcro?
    coldest used was 30*F so not very frigid...
    but no problems...I would guess that the weight of your legs against the bottom would help seal it shut. Also, the spacing of the snaps. The colder the rating of the quilt, maybe the closer the spacing of the snaps? Currently, I have roughly 5"-6" apart, 18" total
    If it had been a problem, I was going to sew some flat loops of grosgrain in between the snaps and "lace" it closed with some small diameter line.
    I doubt I will ever use my DIY TQ lower than 25...any lower than that, I will take my 5*F down Moonstone bag.
    Last edited by animalcontrol; 12-17-2008 at 11:07.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast