Tarp
    WB EDGE
    Insulation
    pad + downbag
    Suspension
    Adj. webbing

Question My First hammock

Hello

I'm gettin' in to hangin'. I'm looking at a complete setup for about 300$ or less. i'm mostly doing hikings, backpacking in general and mountainbiking, so I'm looking for some sturdy lightweight stuff. I do already own a down sleeping bag and a 2" sleeping pad.

Of course I have researched before asking this qeustion but before ordering I just want to be shure if it's the right setup.

At the moment I'm on to the WBBB 1.1 dl and their edge tarp. Besides that I want so make my own suspension - I'm thinking dynaglide ucrs. This setup is just above 300$.

A little personal data. Height 6'4" and weight about 175 without gear and 230 with maximum packing.

Besides that I live in Denmark, so I have to mind shipping (45$ at WB).

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Bergur; 08-21-2013 at 02:15.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Risking the wrath of Rock, let me say that dynaglide is light. The safety factor is not there to begin with and at the end it will wear out before heftier materials.

My suspension: 4-foot webbing lark's headed to 16.5-foot 1/8" Amsteel Blue UCRs, with a SRL of the same cord. I do not have to worry about finding trees just the right distance apart or how high it's attached. I use Camp Nano carabineer's to attach to the trees and also to clip in at the hammock.

Last edited by MDSH; 08-21-2013 at 09:56.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    HH and Diy
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies 7/64
    First off welcome to the forum bergur. With your height you might want to look into the Wbbb xlc since its an 11 ft hammock. It might be more comfortable for you, that's just my 2 cents.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC both covers
    Tarp
    WB EDGE
    Insulation
    pad + downbag
    Suspension
    Adj. webbing
    Thanks to both of you.

I might have a go with the xlc net only and the edge (big enough?) or majamba.

Do you know if it's possible to get amsteel or dynaglide from european stores? The shipping charges more than double the cost of the rope itself.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    Welcome. Being 6'4" I also think you might be more comfortable in a longer hammock. Whatever you decide, good luck and have fun sleeping above ground.
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome Bergur!
    I would agree about looking into the XLC. I am 6'4" and 260lbs and use the WBBB 1.1 dbl, but lately I've been noticing some shoulder squeeze and a bit of a calf ridge. I'm hoping some of that will be alleviated if I drop a few pounds though.

I went with the MJ tarp instead of the Edge, and I'm glad I did. When the weather turns sour you'll be glad you packed in the extra couple of ounces worth of material.

Just my 2¢
    Coffee?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I found the 11 foot hammock was the way to go for me. Started with a WBBB single, but could not deal with the calf ridge. The 11 foot length has proven to be the most comfortable with my BIAS and several DIY rigs that I have made for my grand children and myself. I also don't like dealing with zippers and prefer options like the Fronkey style bug nets.
    As for suspensions, I've been using whoopie slings, but have been experimenting with the strap & buckle system. I don't know that there's a huge difference in weight since I use a descender ring as part of my whoopies to hammock connections now. It's certainly a lot simpler to deal with, especially when you have your sleeping gear already in the hammock and you want to fine tune the lay.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC both covers
    Tarp
    WB EDGE
    Insulation
    pad + downbag
    Suspension
    Adj. webbing
    I have now ordered the xlc 1.1 and the majamba... I hope it glides through costums

I'm still looking for a european alternative to amsteel and dynaglide... From what I have read, amsteel is made of dyneema sk75. Dyneema has also developed a new fiber called sk90. Should be 13 -15 percent stronger. I just have to find a european manufacturer using either Dyneema sk75 or sk90 at 2-3mm.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergur View Post
    I have now ordered the xlc 1.1 and the majamba... I hope it glides through costums

I'm still looking for a european alternative to amsteel and dynaglide... From what I have read, amsteel is made of dyneema sk75. Dyneema has also developed a new fiber called sk90. Should be 13 -15 percent stronger. I just have to find a european manufacturer using either Dyneema sk75 or sk90 at 2-3mm.
    If you want to be able to make UCR's or Whoopie slings make sure whatever rope you buy is hollow braided. Have you tried looking at any local marine supply stores for amsteel?
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC both covers
    Tarp
    WB EDGE
    Insulation
    pad + downbag
    Suspension
    Adj. webbing
    I haven't gone local yet but i have some 4mm i could try out - supermarket stuff but better than nothing...

I can also use the webbing at first and the find something one day. I'm going to NZ for half a year i might find something there...
    Last edited by Bergur; 08-23-2013 at 16:43.

• + New Posts