suggestions to de-burr titanium?

I made myself a cookpot pot-stand and windscreen similar to other commercially available cones. Once out of paper, once out of aluminum flashing, and a final one from some Ti foil courtesy of Titanium Goat.

Cutting was a breeze (though the scissors I was using might disagree). But punching the air holes proved more of a challenge than I had expected. Two busted hole punches later (yeah, I'm a quick learner - surprised it didn't take a third!) I gave up on them working and headed for ye ole drill press. One formerly-sharp bit later and I have holes!

However, many of the holes have burrs - spots around the edges of the holes where the material pushed and tore rather than cutting out cleanly.

I've tried various dremel tool attachments to little effect. Time to hit the forum.

Does anybody have thoughts on how to de-burr Ti? Bear in mind that while it's going to be a user, I would prefer not to completely trash the cone in the process (a ******* file might be an option, but unless someone here has a better solution I think sandpaper and some serious hand protection are my next attempt).

Looking forward to what all might think. It's my first run-in with Ti foil and it's been a really fun little project!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Ti is hard to work with as you just found out. You will waste alot of accessories to your Dremel tool. (also wasted about 20 bucks of Dremel attachments) I used a file to debur and hammer to make straight again playing tin smith. And won't mess with Ti material again myself.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

I used the same Ti foil you have multiple times, each time I used sandpaper to clean it up! Took a while and I went through several grits but with some elbow grease it worked out. I tried to attach some 600 grit to my drill and it worked ok but was a royal pain to control. In the end I found a thin pen and just wrapped the paper around it and went to town on it!

I too busted about 3 hole punches till I found one that worked well. It was a hole punch made for metal work, found online (amazon I think).
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    HH Deluxe/ DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HH Hex/ WB Superfl
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    As a machinist for 20 years, my suggestion for future work with this type of material is it is sometimes easier to sandwich thin material between some thicker material and drill through. This method doesn't allow the space for a burr to be created and makes the cleanup much easier. Be sure that you clamp the pieces together else it won't work as well. Also a sharp tool will make this a much better experience.
    Last edited by TATO; 12-06-2012 at 21:32.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Offering fine and unique outdoor products for the serious hiker and hammocker.
    Available at the following retailers:Tier Gear, Dutchware

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Sanding papers, or cones made for metal working should get you there since it's too late this time for TATO's excellent advice.

When I wanted to point the ends of several Ti stakes, I used my belt sander with metal cutting belts...worked great.

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies

de-burring

a countersinking tool, used by hand instead of powered, sometimes does a good job

a step drill bit(w/ power) has a chamfering edge as it steps up

you would need to enter the hole from both sides, w/ both tools, to get the job done

you might use a piece of rigid foam as a backer, since you have already skipped the above sandwich advice

just a lazy old man's 2¢ worth

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

I really thank you all for the great advice. Sandwiching it is a technique I was familiar with, but I didn't consider it for some reason; the reminder is most appreciated.

For future reference as searchers find this thread, I was able to roll most of the burrs back into the holes using the end of a Sharpie (is there anything they can't do?!). Then stepping through three ascending grits of wet/dry sandpaper wrapped around the Sharpie pulled the burrs from inside the holes. Working with the material on top of a very large metal bowl also helped tremendously as I was able to be quite forceful with it without creasing it.

I'll post some pics once I finish it off.

Thanks again, all.

Hammock
    Banyan bridge, BIAS gathered
    Tarp
    ZPacks w doors
    Insulation
    HG; JRB
    Suspension
    Straps & beckett

Working with titanium is work

I do a lot of work with titanium, though mostly with thicker material than foil. I would first hammer the burr down on a flat metal surface of a bench vice, then file or sand. For small holes, I will often use a punch followed by hammer and file, rather than trying to drill it. A drill press with sandwich technique might work well, but have not tried that technique.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

carbide countersink?

• + New Posts