Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    looks good, i like the main vent. is there condensation with the vents closed?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    looks good, i like the main vent. is there condensation with the vents closed?
    No condensation on the two night outdoor test I did so far, but I never slept with the vent totally closed. The opposite, in fact. What I usually do with my two socks for the BB is to leave them zipped closed until I am ready to go to sleep to accumulate some internal heat inside the sock. After doing the "hammock wiggle" and getting everything situated, I'm usually nice and warm. Then, as my last task before turning off the lights, I zip open whatever vents I have and pass out into blissful, comfortable sleep.

The first night, I had the bug net deployed so I had an extra layer between myself and the outside world. But what I really like is when the bug net is thrown over/pulled back over the ridgeline, and the vent opening is right at your head/upper shoulders. It's like you are sleeping uncovered, because you can stare up at the stars, but your body and quilts have that extra layer of wind protection, kind of like a bivy sack for your SB. I really, really love this version of the HECU, but any idea can be improved.

I'll have to do a test with the whole thing closed up. I have another iteration of this that I will be unveiling, hopefully at Mt. Rogers. Different entrance, different fabric but same basic shape/features.
    Last edited by fin; 12-18-2008 at 11:52.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Fishin'Finn's SilkSock Test in 4º

Just up from a night in the Warbonnet BlackBird hammock with Finn's SilkSock deployed. First time that I have had a chance to sleep all night in it.
    Now I will start by stating that with all the sock variations that I have made myself with ripstop, I have never really had what I would call success as I seemed to always have LOTS of condensation or frost. So I start sceptical. FF sent me his SilkSock to make me have another look at the HECU.
    OK then ... I crawled in at 10pm and zipped her shut. Warmth could be felt right away. I had my smaller tarp strung high, not to much wind so I hung out and read my book with one vent open (the shelf vent). My cat wanted in so I opened to let him come and make biscuits on me and felt the cold come in. Really is warm in the silk. Later cat leaves. I zip the entrance zipper and fall to sleep. Wake to pee around 12:30AM and have a wee bit of frost on the top inside of Sock and on my BB netting which is thrown over the shelf. BB is not zipped shut. Do my bid-ness and open the other vent over the door. Wake about 5:30 am in my 0º bag and feel just a bit cool in the feet. I am using my full UQ and am sleeping in: one pair expedition SmartWool socks, one pair thin REI long underwear, one SW top and a thin polar fleece top with a side chest zip pocket with my lighter, camera, 2oz alcohol fuel and lip balm. Balaclava, PossumDown Beenie and a down hood. Nice and warm but not sweaty. Did have a bit of cool butt so I had a small piece of Refextive (sp?) 14"x20" to test and slipped it right under my butt in the hammock. Worked great I must say! Slipped my JRB Down Sleeves over my feet and was good to go. Snoozed on.
    Woke around 6:45am and slipped on my MontBell Thermwrap pants and my Thru-Hiker top that I keep in the BB Footbox ready to go for morning. Started my MBD Mini-Atomic for some morning Joe from the BB.
    Shug waits.jpgShug sips.jpg

The SilkSock absolutely keeps you warmer and cuts the wind good
    . I did have FROST inside ... I must be a really heavy breather. It was not really that bad. For the warmth provided I could put up with a little frost. Hey, I am sleeping outdoors in winter ... it just ain't natural!
    frost 2.jpg
    I will test some more but next I get to try FishinFinn's TopCover .... Whoooo Buddy .... THANKS FISHINFINN!!!!!!!!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    The SilkSock absolutely keeps you warmer and cuts the wind good. I did have FROST inside ... I must be a really heavy breather. It was not really that bad. For the warmth provided I could put up with a little frost. Hey, I am sleeping outdoors in winter ... it just ain't natural!
    You ain't natural! Thanks, shug. You must be a heavy breather - I don't even get that much frost on my VB sock! Do you sleep with the balaclava on, and with it covering your mouth? That may be the dif. And I always have the vent at least partially open, after getting myself situated.

All in All, a good test, especially at 4*. I'm really curious on the topcover. I think I know what the results will be, but I am curious as to how much warmth you think it actually provides compared to the sock.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    You ain't natural! Thanks, shug. You must be a heavy breather - I don't even get that much frost on my VB sock! Do you sleep with the balaclava on, and with it covering your mouth? That may be the dif. And I always have the vent at least partially open, after getting myself situated.

All in All, a good test, especially at 4*. I'm really curious on the topcover. I think I know what the results will be, but I am curious as to how much warmth you think it actually provides compared to the sock.
    The Heavy Breather here .... yes balaclava ... no to covering my mouth. I try to do that but it just don't take. Restricts my breathing ... which probably would not be bad. And did have all the vents open. Might be an Irish thing.....
    Top cover next.... I do expect some frost but won't know until......
    Shug the Panter

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    The Heavy Breather here .... yes balaclava ... no to covering my mouth. I try to do that but it just don't take. Restricts my breathing ... which probably would not be bad. And did have all the vents open. Might be an Irish thing.....
    Top cover next.... I do expect some frost but won't know until......
    Shug the Panter
    Maybe a little less whiskey and cigar b4 bed. Nah, I'd rather live with the frost.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    Maybe a little less whiskey and cigar b4 bed. Nah, I'd rather live with the frost.
    For sure the cigar ... but my drinking days are 20 years behind me. Analogy ..Ate all my Halloween candy in one night!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    For sure the cigar ... but my drinking days are 20 years behind me. Analogy ..Ate all my Halloween candy in one night!
    Besides, whiskey breath would melt the frost......

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12