Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I have a Remstar Auto M-Series cpap. I also use a nasal mask, but I have a nasal pillow around somewhere. I'll definitely try the nasal pillow next trip. I'm also going to sew up an insulated cover for it. I'm going to use the thin foam that was wrapped around my new Samsung TV I just bought. I believe it is very similar to the IX people are using for under quilts. I will either put the cpap in the hammock with me (under my quilt) or will rig up an insulated box/cooler for it with an air vent and several of the handwarmers.

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO, HH
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Suspension
    Various
    Images

Hand Warmer

What about taping a hand warmer to the tube?

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    I use a cpap and sleep outside fulltime.
    Coldest has been single digits, last night was in the 20's.

Fleece wrap for the tube helps w/ condensation, but does not eliminate it.

I have a top cover now (XLC) but previously did not.
    Keeping the cpap inside the hammock helps.

There are heated tubes supported by some cpaps, I do not have one.
    A humidifier will provide some heat but chews up a battery.

I have not tried wrapping hand/foot warmers around the tubing yet.

The air coming in doesn't bother me, it's cold with or without a cpap.
    The extra air pumped in w/ a large leak type mask is exhausted into my cocoon, that I don't like. Am working on attaching some tubing as an exhaust to run outside the overcover.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    DYI/ ORIGAMI
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I had the same problem along with "Rain Out". I found there is a sleeve you can purchase with a zipper that runs the full length of my C.P.A.P hose. Zips on Zips off for cleaning. It is like a cheap coat, a little thin piece of polyester batting quilted onto nylon. I made my own. It works fairly well. I keep my house fairly cool never above 65F, so in the winter I was getting too much condensation and cold air blown by my Autoset device, so I hit on insulating my hose. Adding filters and such throw off the air meter to the C.P.A.P. so they are not a good idea.

My new ResMed, has a heated hose which solved the entire problem. I love my C.P.A.P. I think it is a life saver! The difference it has made in my life is just unbelievable, no more morning headache, I wake up feeling rested and my disposition is greatly improved.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux Zip
    Tarp
    HH Hex fly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/Strap
    Images
    I have used mine down in the 20's. I hang low and wrap the hose inside my bag on my chest. Not worm but makes it bearable.

Hammock
    HH Safari or DIY 12 footer
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly,Kelty16
    Insulation
    Researching
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64 WS
    Images
    The ONLY way I can see this working, is if you heat the incoming air.

My biggest issue, other than freezing my nose hairs, is the condensation that forms in my mask, and at some point gets blown into the air above my face as rain or freezing rain. Wakes me up everytime.

My though here is to create a warmer micro climate around the CPAP intake. So what can I do to make this happen?

Electric heater - But then I have to drag a Marine battery with me.

Somehow bring the CPAP inside my sleep system - makes the most sense, but my tests so far have all been uncomfortable, and I have just pushed the machine outside.

Ferrous hand warmer - Or the much bigger back warmer packs. Not sure how many I would have to bring per night to keep an insulated bag warm.

My idea:

• Start with a cheap (dollar store) insulated Soft Lunch Box, insulate the outside someway, IX or something.
    • Cut an intake hole that runs back to rig back to and over my head. The Rig has to be breathable like a thick fleece, don't want a plastic bag over my head
    • Have this Thick Fleece "sock" tube back to the intake of the Lunch box.
    • Stuff Ferrous warmers between the outside Insulation and the Lunch box, thinking of this because I am concerned with any out gassing from the warmers. Not sure what those things put off. Might have to remove some insulation in the bottom of the Lunch Box to allow the heat to invade the box more. Or I suppose I could simply create a sealed pouch and drop it inside the box with the warmers, though I think those warmers need oxygen to create descent heat.

Other hand warmers other than Ferrous could be used, I used to have a charcoal based warmer Snowboarding, that thing worked quite well.

If the box was large enough for the machine and the battery this would help with the battery loosing juice due to the cold as well.

Does anyone know if the ferrous based warmers out gas anything bad?

Thoughts?

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    I have a continuous loop at each peak where the hammock meets the ridge line.

CPAP battery is in a dry sack, cinched shut and S-biner clipped to the continuous loop at the foot end and the front of the sack clipped to the ridge line. This secures the battery in the peak of the hammock at the foot end.

Then I put the CPAP itself in a mesh bag and clip it to the continuous loop at the foot end peak as well.

Both the CPAP and the Battery are now clipped to the foot end of the hammock, out of the way, suspended by a continuous loop and the ridge line.

The tubing is run along the ridge line and secured via a small gear tie to keep it out of the way.

I have used this setup for 200+ nights.

Below is a thread with pics when I had the battery at one end, or on the shelf and the CPAP at the head end. This did get in the way too much and so I moved everything to the foot end.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ight=cpap+peak

I edited the other thread to include pics of my new setup.
    Last edited by Ratdog; 11-28-2013 at 12:57. Reason: updated other thread

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Quick pics
    The loop

Battery bag

Whole setup

Hammock
    Appalachian Original
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ 20* FJ & zep
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch Bckl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfanboy View Post

[*]Stuff Ferrous warmers between the outside Insulation and the Lunch box, thinking of this because I am concerned with any out gassing from the warmers.

Thoughts?
    rather than using Ferrous hand warmers why not fill a nalgene bottle (or 2 )and stuff that in your insulated cooler. that should warm the air for the intake and no worry about the carbon dioxide generated by the hand warmers.

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Just threw this together tonight. It probably won't do anything but it's 6 feet of cpap hose inside a reflectix envelope sealed with double sided tape. Inside I can throw a couple handwarmers and warm up the hose. I would attach this to the machine and then put a fleece cozy on the hose coming out of this to the mask. I'll give it a try on the weekend and see if it does anything.

A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's