Sparrow 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors 12'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Poly/Dyneema

0° UQ overkill for three season?

I tend to sleep on the colder side, and there have been nights that have dropped into the low 30's in September and I've gotten a tad chilly.

I also use a 30° quilt from Zpacks - which keeps me warm enough. But I seem to suffer underneath.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Hammock Backpackers Community 👇🏻
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/hammockbackpackers

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    If an UQ is two warm you can always vent the biggest penalty is the weight you have to carry. So a zero UQ in 3 Season would certainly work if you get to warm just loosen it up a bit to vent it.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    It's been my experience that too much insulation underneath is not a problem. However with too much top insulation, you'll need to vent, etc.

I forget who made the analogy once here on HF about how we change the top covers on our beds at home with the seasons but the mattress under us is the same.

David

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    diy 11 x 8
    Insulation
    incubator-stealth
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I did a 30 day hike in June and July with a 0deg UQ. There were only three nights I slid it off to the side. I'm also a cold sleeper and I say go for it. It may be more than you need but then just call it a luxury item. When it rained for three days and most were cold and miserable, I was in heaven.
    "what do you suppose will satisfy the soul, except to walk free and own no superior" Walt Whitman

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    I would say if your close to your comfort zone now and just need a little more heat why now get an UQ protector from 2QZQ. Good piece of kit to have and it seems to add a little bit of warmth. Nothing wrong with another quilt tho.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBXLC 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Shamu, CrowsNest
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm also a cold sleeper and my 0°F Crowsnest (Phoenix) works great for 3 seasons--Spring, Fall and Winter. I often couple it with a Shamu IX UQ in winter--the extra 14 oz of the Shamu is worth it to me.
    Solvitur Ambulando - Diogenes

Hammock
    Sparrow 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors 12'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Poly/Dyneema
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    I would say if your close to your comfort zone now and just need a little more heat why now get an UQ protector from 2QZQ. Good piece of kit to have and it seems to add a little bit of warmth. Nothing wrong with another quilt tho.

bill
    Thanks for the recommendation, Bill. May I ask, if i only wanted a little more insulation rather than a full-blown VBL solution, would you suggest the breathable ripstop version over the silnylon?

Additionally, I have a sleeping bag liner - would this also provide the added warmth if I choose to just continue hanging with my 30'F TQ instead of using a 0'F TQ? Trying to consider extra cost of a new zero TQ vs using what I already own.

Hammock
    DIY, Dangerbird, Night Owl, Eno Dbl
    Tarp
    DIY and cuban
    Insulation
    HG and DIY
    Suspension
    whoopie and dutch
    Images
    My only underquilt I have is a 0 degree Phoenix. I've used it year around in MN, and other than the weight penalty it works well. In the summer I just vent it or pop it off to the side if it's too warm.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hang_time View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation, Bill. May I ask, if i only wanted a little more insulation rather than a full-blown VBL solution, would you suggest the breathable ripstop version over the silnylon?

Additionally, I have a sleeping bag liner - would this also provide the added warmth if I choose to just continue hanging with my 30'F TQ instead of using a 0'F TQ? Trying to consider extra cost of a new zero TQ vs using what I already own.
    The breathable ripstop is the UQP i have. It does seem to make things a bit warmer. Whether that is because of an added air barrier or stopping wind from robbing the UQ i don't know. Of course it keeps moisture off your quilt as well. Its kind of become a standard piece of kit for me.
    Sleeping bag liner. I would think it would help but you'd have to test it and see. Some folks have added a space blanket as well between the UQ and hammock and that seem to add something but i haven't tried that.

hope that helps

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Sparrow 1.6 HyperD
    Tarp
    HG DCF w/doors 12'
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Poly/Dyneema
    Quote Originally Posted by mbiraman View Post
    The breathable ripstop is the UQP i have. It does seem to make things a bit warmer. Whether that is because of an added air barrier or stopping wind from robbing the UQ i don't know. Of course it keeps moisture off your quilt as well. Its kind of become a standard piece of kit for me.
    Sleeping bag liner. I would think it would help but you'd have to test it and see. Some folks have added a space blanket as well between the UQ and hammock and that seem to add something but i haven't tried that.

hope that helps

bill
    I'll pick up the ripstop version, Bill.

I bought the sock from Warbonnet, and while it certainly added some much needed protection when hanging close to the ridgeline, it was a pain in the *** to keep setting up - and just too big for my needs. I may sell it on here at some point.

I tried the space blanket VBL once and my back was wet through the entire night - ixnay on the anketblay.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast