LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I put together a M50 hammock toe try out. At the time I weighed in just under 220 lbs. It held as I entered and laid in the hammock for about 10 minutes, but when exiting the M50 fabric suffered a catastrophic failure about an inch below the gather.

Currently I'm awaiting a shipment of 1.1 to put together a new (not quite as light) light weight hammock until I shed 20+ lbs. to try out the M50 again.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    So between this and another thread, I just came on reports of 3 failures in M50 or M90 fabric when used for a hammock. All the failures seem to be bursting failures. Now, technically, the failure was probably not simultaneous across a lot of threads, but punctures or prior rips are not implicated.

Rather than question that the fabrics are of such fine denier -- thread count per inch -- that they are unsuitable to being loaded, I find some suggesting that it might be suitable for for hangers who are under a certain weight. This is interesting because you cannot simultaneously believe that some weight, say an additional 50 lbs / 25kg is too much. What you have to believe is that an extra 50lb gets amplified by some factor, maybe just acceleration from turning over and shifting weight. If that is the explanation, then you can appreciate some of what goes into "load factors" or safety margins.

I think this stuff is just inapplicable to the purpose, weight bearing, that the threads are too thin and therefore individually not strong enough, and not suited to being either abraded by bodies or weakened by light and air. The fibers are, after all, polyamid, nylon, not a new class of super-strong and super-tough fiber.

It has been suggested that two layers will solve all problems. Well, two layers won't make either layer as resistant to abrasion and light as one layer of heavier fabric, so there's no reason to believe this two "Momentum"layer hammock will be tougher or lighter than one made of ordinary high-quality 1.1oz - 1.7oz nylon. But, it will be hi-zoot, expensive, and rare.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 03-11-2013 at 22:59.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY

M50 Hammock

What about a double layer of M50 and 1.1 breathable nylon?

A lightweight DL with the security of a proven hammock fabric.
    Zach Rohe Photography https://zachrohe.com

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Sure that could work. I have a 1.0sl thats been my daily sleeper since around september. It will definitely hold but the topic demo brings up though is more on the side of price. probably 0 weight savings for a dl and loads more money basically wasted for all except a fashion statement. If throwing money away is anyone's way to lighten their load, throw some my way; I will gladly take the weight off your shoudlers.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    M 50 is tafetta, not ripstop. Its the way its made,,and you can rip it with your hands in either direction. Rips easily,,try ripstop..super hard to rip if you can even rip it.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    M 50 is tafetta, not ripstop. Its the way its made,,and you can rip it with your hands in either direction. Rips easily,,try ripstop..super hard to rip if you can even rip it.
    There is a rare M50 microripstop that I've seen mentioned around here that I would love to get my hands on. And I've found a source for 10d ripstop but don't want to buy an entire roll (1000m) though.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Hennessey Hyperlite, GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    20D Asym w/UC/OC
    Insulation
    HG 3/4 UQ 0 Deg
    Suspension
    Hennessey, for now
    To those who have made M50 and M90 gathered end tarps, how heavy are they or, better yet, what length and width of fabric did you use?

Jungle Jim

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12