Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Trees View Post
    hey NCPatrick,
    I've got the same OES 12'x10' tarp. I had Brian add a couple extra guyouts and I had another sew velcro on the ends so I could make it into an enclosed tent. So many options just using a rectangular 12'x10' silnylon tarp and sooo much room under this puppy!

Just thought I'd share. Cheers!
    Yours looks great as well. I like the extra tie-outs. I was going to use grip-clips and balloons for extra tie-outs. Grizz used them for closing off one end of his tarp as well.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    Hey NCPatrick,
    Thanks for the reply. I really like your tarp in the sage green! Now, I kinda wish mine was the sage green color. Oh well...

Thanks too, for the great tip of using the grip-clips. Those look pretty cool. I just might have to get a couple of these to use for some extra tieout points on my tarp.

Looks like you'll be plenty dry in any downpours/snowfalls with that big tarp! LOL!

Images

Nice tarp!!

I use one that is very similar. I noticed that you are using what looks like 5 stakes per side. There is a method where you only need 3. I thought I would share the info just in case it might be helpful. The three center tie-outs can be rigged up so that they go to one stake (sort-of like what this guy does: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjMmla9DSzo); except, instead of having the line going to the ends, have the lines go the center. This method provides complete freedom to pitch the ends any way you want. For example, if the ends are tied together during good weather then the whole tarp can be pitched with two stakes.

I have been using the three stakes per side method for some time now. I like it. I usually find a rock or a log to put over the center stake.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks! I'll check that out. Sounds interesting and easy to set up. I appreciate you pointing it out.

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Thanks! I'll check that out. Sounds interesting and easy to set up. I appreciate you pointing it out.
    I took a pic

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Thanks, just what I thought. I actually have seen that guy's video once a while ago, but didn't file all the info away for future use like I should have. Thanks for the picture too. What do you do with the other tie-outs? Just tie them together at the ends, winter tarp style?

- Mark Twain
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Straps dutch-clips
    I've used the method shown in that Youtube video a few times. I have 4 tie-outs per side. I tie the middle two out to the corner two, using that alpine butterfly.
    It works pretty well. Obviously, it's not a storm-worthy pitch, but . . . . when I don't want to fold up the "doors" (so that I can keep more privacy) . . . . it's a good pitch method.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    What do you do with the other tie-outs? Just tie them together at the ends, winter tarp style?
    I converted to using a full length ridge line for my tarps (I find that this gives me a better, more reliable pitch with less sag and less fiddle factor). I made my tarp with a tie out exactly in the middle of the center seam of the tarp to eliminate "center sag." I can tie the corners of the tarp to this center point. I would think that you could do the same thing by tying the catercorner corners together. This would be "winter tarp style," sort-of

But, I usually use 3 stakes (or other objects) per side, putting the corners high or low depending on the weather.

I hope this helps.

I have to admit, I love the type of tarp that you have. It is so versatile. I think it is basically perfect

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234