Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Random thoughts, advice requested.

So things should be slowing down here after the holidays for us, and my wife and I are gearing up for some hiking trips in the next few months. I want to make some changes to our stuff to help with the cold weather.

We currently use 2 Wildernesslogics Tadpole tarps, but we have always hung hammocks together, and pitched the tarps together/overlapping for extra coverage. Not the best setup, I want to do away with the 2 small tarps and use one large one with doors. I'm considering a Warbonnet superfly, or a JRB universal tarp. The JRB is a foot longer, but more expensive too.

I have a couple 3/4 length UQ's,(JRB Greylock 3 and 4) which my wife struggled with in the cold. I think it had a lot to do with no wind/breeze blockage from the small tarps though. She used my JRB Hudson river TQ in "UQ mode" with great success in cooler temps, but its my "cold weather" TQ, so I will need it if temps drop much below 30. (My only other TQ is a 40deg JRB Shenandoah.) Would the wind protection from a large tarp with doors be enough to make the 3/4 length quilts work for us?

I don't really want to buy a 0 deg full length UQ, atleast not without trying to sell one of the 3/4's. I'm running out of room to store the stuff lol.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Personally, I would dump the idea of one tarp, two people. I sometimes find one tarp, one person, to be tenuous. I am just not interested in getting wet. A four-season tarp for one person (like the Superfly) is a wonderful thing. That same tarp with two people is hardly adequate and will let blowing rain and precipitation in.

My two cents - sounds like you're gonna do what you want to do anyway!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images
    I also don't think a Superfly is the right choice for a two hammock arrangement. There is a good chance you will have to set the pitch wide which means the doors won't be fully closed. Might as well not have them.
    If it were me I would get a custom 12x12 made by one of our vendors here. If the custom price is too steep give a kelty 12x12 a try they go on sale for ~70 bucks.
    Good luck if you do decide to get the superfly and it does not work out you can sell it quick here on the forum so you won't be out anything but time.

On the subject of keeping your better half warm look into a under quilt protector and look into the hot water bottle trick. Don't skimp on the bottles size.

This is the bottle I use to keep me toasty warm in winter.

Here's a few picts of the Superfly used in winter I think you will see about the size.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/outand...57641072989695
    Last edited by OutandBack; 12-21-2015 at 23:53.

I'll look into the UQ protectors, I thought they were mostly to keep splash and dirt from getting on the UQ. I guess if they block air it would help alot.

My wife @ 5'6" is shorter than her Greylock, so I didn't think it would be difficult to keep snugged up, but we camped in a few less than ideal spots last season, and winds were a problem with the UQ's/fitment.

I've done the water bottle trick a time or two, but that doesn't help much when the UQ fit is wrong and its breezy. She has napped here at home in about 7-10deg weather with her TQ/UQ combo, and been comfy, but the fitment and breezes ruin things quick.

Also look into hammock socks. I read a lot of good things about them.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half Wit
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 20* T
    Suspension
    Straps
    If you want to do a single tarp look at mountain wilderness monster, I don't know how it would hang 2 but I know that with just me I could run laps under it lol. I have a full length under quilt but maybe try getting one of the wool blankets from harbor freight for 10 bucks, if it doesn't work it's 10 bucks and I use mine as coat just use 550 cord and a couple of rocks.
    The wishbone will never replace the backbone- Will Henry

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    +1 on trying out an UQ protector.... I've found it helps out alot to keep my feet warmer with my 3/4 length UQ. And they are full length so it will still be useful even if you do get a full length quilt later... 2QZQ argon 90 UQP, give them a look...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by binfordw View Post
    I'll look into the UQ protectors, I thought they were mostly to keep splash and dirt from getting on the UQ. I guess if they block air it would help alot.

My wife @ 5'6" is shorter than her Greylock, so I didn't think it would be difficult to keep snugged up, but we camped in a few less than ideal spots last season, and winds were a problem with the UQ's/fitment.

I've done the water bottle trick a time or two, but that doesn't help much when the UQ fit is wrong and its breezy. She has napped here at home in about 7-10deg weather with her TQ/UQ combo, and been comfy, but the fitment and breezes ruin things quick.
    First and foremost the UQ must fit properly. For some reason many have issues with this. There can be no gaps between your bum and the UQ.
    If there is something is wrong. With her in it try to figure out what is preventing this from happening. A big mistake many do is over tighten the ends of the UQ.
    On others I've seen the hammock tieout stop the UQ from coming up past the hammock sides.
    HTH

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I treated my UQP with a light coat of Campmor waterproofing spray for better wind/water resistance. It's still breathable and condensation is not a problem. Some of the best things I have found for winter sleeping are down booties, merino wool buff, light weight gloves and a good hat.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    First and foremost the UQ must fit properly. For some reason many have issues with this. There can be no gaps between your bum and the UQ.
    If there is something is wrong. With her in it try to figure out what is preventing this from happening. A big mistake many do is over tighten the ends of the UQ.
    On others I've seen the hammock tieout stop the UQ from coming up past the hammock sides.
    HTH

Well, we have set them up and practiced quite a bit at home. I even used my thermal cam once to find gaps
    But apparently she turns a lot, and she found the full length didn't require any tugging, pulling and adjusting. Happy wife, happy life, so they say.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast