WBBB 1.1 DL, HH UL Explr Asym
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

Newbie underquilt question for Explorer Ultralight Asym Classic (velcro)

I am new to the forums and hammock camping in general, and have so far spent only a few nights in my Explorer Ultralight Asym. I tend to sleep cold, so I quickly began looking into pads and the Speer-type segmented pad extender (SPE). I made an SPE which added 6-inch "wings" to widen my ThermaRest Pro-Lite pad into a bathtub shape, but found I was still cold when it dropped below 50 degrees. What I would like is something that will take me down to 20 degrees, which would handle the majority of the year in Upstate NY. I could add another pad to the SPE (I do have a RidgeRest foam pad), but that gets really bulky both in the hammock and the backpack, and I find it pretty awkward to sleep on.

It seems like the conventional wisdom is to move to an underquilt if you're cold. However, I'm not certain whether a conventional UQ will work well with the velcro-entry in the classic Hennessey. Has anyone done this? Or do you use an UQ designed with a slit entry like the JRB Nest?

I am also contemplating whether to request 2QZQ's zipper mod for the HH classic. With a side entry, it seems like there are a lot more UQ's available, and it appears to be economical with an UQ relative to JRB.

JRB Winter Nest (5-10 deg) $335
    -vs.-
    2QZQ Zipper Mod #2 $50, plus
    Hammock Gear Incubator 20-Degree $240 (or 0-Degree $264)

So, any thoughts on:
    1) rectangular UQ's with classic velcro entry Hennessey?
    2) Classic vs side entry for UQ -- which is better?

Thanks for your input! I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm not having any luck finding it by searching the forums.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

Wrong forum?

Maybe this is the wrong forum for these questions? Should it be in "Bottom Insulation" instead? Sorry, but I'm new at this...

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I used to use a Jarbridge River UQ with a bottom entry Hennessey and it worked well. I now have a side entry, only because my hair kept getting stuck in the velcro of the bottom entry. The UQ works equally well with either hammock, it's a 3/4 length so the bottom slit was still accessible. It's also very reasonably priced so if you find that you don't like it, you haven't broken the bank, and it's also easily resellable on here. You'll find it at Arrowhead Equipment
    Debi

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Right forum. Surprised you've not received more responses, but folks are busy this time of year.

I know that KAQ had the Potomac (?) that was made to fit the "classic" bottom entry Hennessy's. From what I've seen/heard, using a UQ with the bottom entry is a bit more difficult to adjust, but typically not that tough to just push aside while you're getting in and out.

With that said, the 2QZQ zipper mods also add a ton more functionality to your hammock. My HH ED has their Mod #4, and I kept the BE as well. Able to use either now, but the real benefit is also in the abililty to reach in/out of the hammock when you're in it.

I can see where it would make adjusting a UQ world's simpler.

One other POSSIBLE thought for you is the HHSS. There has been a lot of back and forth on it...works great for some folks, less so for others.

My son and I both use it...never used/owned a UQ. We've been out in weather down to 22 deg F with 20-30mph winds and slept comfortably, but we don't use TQ's, we use sleeping bags which may be a factor as well.

On the UQ questions...PM or email the various cottage vendors here on the forums, they'll give you the straight scoop from what I've seen.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Pan from JRB once told me that when using an underquilt without a slit for the HH, just move the UQ aside when you enter or exit and it will slide back in place by itself. He was absolutely correct.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

Thanks!

Thanks Debi, Owl, and JayS! I was concerned that if the UQ didn't have a slit entry, it wouldn't sit in the right position after I got into the hammock, and then I wouldn't be able to adjust it from inside (except maybe near the entry). As Owl points out, it would seem that if the netting on both sides could be unzipped, it would be easier to reach out to make adjustments. But JayS suggests that an UQ may work fine without much adjustment -- maybe I'll try it and see if I can make it work before I jump into the zipper mod.

Debi, I hadn't realized that a 3/4 length UQ would clear the slit -- I've seen some 1/2 lengths that certainly would, but I should probably measure my HH so I know how much clearance I would have with a particular 3/4. That said, however, I really think I'm going to end up wanting a full length if I want to be warm enough.

BTW, I am intrigued by the HHSS. It's certainly lighter and much less expensive than most UQs. I'm just concerned that since I sleep cold, I'm going to end up wanting something warmer. Most of my mountain trips are in April and Sept, and nights are always below freezing.

Thanks again!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    My thought would be to try to get to a hang where someone might have an HHSS you could try.

It doesn't work for some...but it works well for some others.

For me, it works. I've used it exclusively since I bought my hammock. I've been out overnight in 22deg with 20-30mph winds, and this past weekend it was down around 30 and foggy/rainy both nights...no issues at all.

But others haven't had success at all with it below 45 deg F.

So it's hard for me to say if it'll work for you or not. I don't think it's going to be any lighter, and certainly it won't be less bulky than a UQ. But...it's cheaper, and if it does work for you that makes it something to consider.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I tried my Jarbidge (AHE) with my Hennessy bottom entry. It was no big problem to get in and out.I found the fit, though, to be a bigger issue. Not a deal breaker, but not ideal. First, the shape of the Hennessy didn't seem to work that well with the Jarbidge. And, it was hard to adjust the UQ from inside.

For me, the solution for the winter is to use my ENO-DN. If it's cold, there's no bugs and thus no need for the bug net. So, for now at least, that $60 hammock is lighter than my Hennessy, gives me a clear view of the sky, is more comfortable (IMHO), and works better with the inexpensive Jarbidge.

What I do when the weather is warm enough for bugs and thus the netting of the Hennessy, but still cool enough for the UQ ... well, I may just make do. Or, I may be investing in a WBBB or Dangerbird to see how they work.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    I believe the nest is on sale now.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB BMJ
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20°
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images

Trying Incubator as first UQ

Thanks! Yesterday I was fortunate enough to stumble upon an Incubator 20-deg being sold by Canteen Boy, so that will be my first attempt. I had previously emailed HG asking about using an Incubator with HH classic entry, and they assured me that it works well, or at least works well enough that their customers haven't reported any issues. Now, whether *I* can make it work is another story...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast