WL Lite Owl, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AE Jarbidge, bag
    Suspension
    buckles/whoopies

Snipe vs. Lite Owl?

So I've narrowed down my choice for a new hammock to the WL Snipe or Lite Owl based on the length and foot/head boxes. Now I need help deciding between the Lite Owl and the Snipe. I understand the structural differences (2 ply vs. 1 ply, weight difference), but is either more comfortable than the other?

Also, can you slide a pad in between the 2 plies on the Lite Owl? I have an UQ, but the option to use a pad would be nice.

Hammock
    FreeBird/ThunderBird/Lite Owl
    Tarp
    HG, Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ ,HG,WLSSUQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    So I've narrowed down my choice for a new hammock to the WL Snipe or Lite Owl based on the length and foot/head boxes. Now I need help deciding between the Lite Owl and the Snipe. I understand the structural differences (2 ply vs. 1 ply, weight difference), but is either more comfortable than the other?

Also, can you slide a pad in between the 2 plies on the Lite Owl? I have an UQ, but the option to use a pad would be nice.
    I love my Light Owl more than my WBB. I use a 3/4 uq so i place a footpad in between the two layers and it doesn't move all night. I'm probably going to pick up a snipe for summer use.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl or Snipe/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF/Superfly/OMW
    Insulation
    Quilt/Foam pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/AWS
    I love my Lite Owl too. Pad works great, although I often opt for an UQ. Even so, I like the feel of the double layer, which many say protects against bug bites in warmer months. I'm sure you'll be happy with either choice. Good luck.
    Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
    --General George S. Patton, Jr.--

Hammock
    DIY, BB, Snipe
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images
    WL has some really comfy hammocks. I love the open view either of your choices offer. My Snipe suits me fine, but I don't use pads after finding the plush warmth of UQ's. It weighs a bit less and packs down a bit smaller. You can't go wrong with a WL hammy. Man, they sleep like a dream.

Good luck!

Home Run

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm a new convert to the Lite Owl. I never thought I'd swap out my Light Hiker but this thing is just too darned comfy. I had a great night in it Friday night. This afternoon I was playing around with an adjustable ridgeline and I think it may have made it even more comfortable.

I can't compare it to the Snipe since I've never tried it but I think you'd do well with either one. I went with the Lite Owl because I'm partial to double layers. fwiw it weighed about 2 oz less than the 20 oz on the WL site. I'm very happy so far.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    i have a NO & 2LOs and zero snipes. i have taken a nap in a snipe and i will have to say that the snipe is about 1% more comfortable than either of my Owls. i have always preferred double layer hammocks, simply because i feel more secure in knowing i have 2 layers to bust threw, and the easier use of a pad with my 3/4 quilt.
    my most comfortable LO has the "slowhike" mod.(a spreader pole above the head position).
    my second fav. is my Night Owl, i like the 1.5 material, i feel like it is easier to move around in. (the Snipe is a single layer 1.5 and that is why i think it is 1% more comfortable)
    either of the WL hammocks will be a great choice, the question is simply 1 layer or 2?

Have a Merry Christmas!
    __bob__

Hammock
    Wl lite owl
    Tarp
    Omw
    Insulation
    UnDeRgRoUnD QuIlTs
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    i love my lo but i wanna pick a snipe up i was wondering the same thing nice info!!!

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Depends on your weight. I went with the lite owl because even though at 200lbs I'm within the limit of the snipe I don't like too much fabric stretch.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AE Jarbidge, bag
    Suspension
    buckles/whoopies
    Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I ended up going with the Lite Owl, figuring that the option of adding a pad is the way to go. I'll post up a review once I try it out.

• + New Posts