Hammock Bliss Dbl
    Tarp
    Etowah
    Insulation
    WL XXL TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Like using a pile hitch to connect the guy line to the stake via Redoleary's video (see http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ght=pile+hitch). Use a UCR or prussick on the tarp side. Works like a charm! One advantage I've found from using this method is very few snags and snarls when setting up.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly/ Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG down/DIY
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    The best and easiest method I've found is to use a marlin spike with the stake and just pull tight and run it in the ground. Easy peasey. I cant remember who posted that they do this, or I would give them credit. It was one of those V8 moments for me, when I smack myself in the forehead. It's so simple, it's rediculous. I haven't had any issue with tensioning, but if I do, I carry small shockcord loops with me. I also use PU tarps, so that may be why I don't have the tensioning issues that others do.
    RON

A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

Visit my Youtube channel- Florida Wild

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use 8' lines with a fixed loop on the tarp end and a backsplice on the other. The fixed loop is attached to the tarp tie-out with a larkshead. I use a very simplified trucker's hitch and run the standing end around the stake and through the hitch to make it taut. A slippery half hitch keeps everything locked down.

The lines don't need to be that long but 1.75 is so light and the extra length gives me more flexibility if I want/need to use natural vegetation or if I need to go out to a trekking pole first to go to porch mode.

I also use the clove hitch to secure my tensioners to the line. I use a 10" piece folded over the tie-out and hitched to the line.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images

+2

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    I am using Shane's Method. Been using it all summer with my Tadpole, and it works great. I was going to add them to my Guide Gear 12x12, but found out I didn't have enough Zing-it. I do now, as I just bought a roll a few weeks ago.
    What I use.

S

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Homemade Hex
    Insulation
    WB Lynx UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Taut Line Prussik Hitch

I really appreciate everyone's input on my question. I have to confess I have an inner struggle going on... as a Scoutmaster I feel compelled to use knots as much as possible... but as gadget guy I feel compelled to buy all the coolest gadgets and gizmos for hammocks (I just received my third shipment from Dutch this month).

I went ahead and ordered some of the line locs to try Shane's method. I also came up with a knot last night (I'm sure someone else has already done it) that I'm going to call the "Taut Line Prussik Hitch" It is basically a Prussik knot, but tied in the fashion you would tie a taut line hitch so that you are only using one piece of rope. This avoids having to create chain links to make a Prussik out of.

I have attached two pictures of this... the first as is and the second with a red outline to show how it would look as a true loop with prussik knot on the line. I used 4 wraps instead of 3 and it holds tight, but also adjusts up and down the line easily.

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    I use a much simpler setup shown by Brandon of Warbonnet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qna...C82PMQ&index=1

I don't get a fancy 2:1 mechanical advantage but that's ok....Just pull the tarp down with your free hand while you pull it tight around the stake. Then perform the hitch part, make it bite and you are done.

I really like this method, and during my recent windy trip to the Pecos Wild. I never had to re-tension my guylines overnight in the wind, it held secure which actually surprised me.

You do need to use Y-stakes for it to work, but IMO they are the best type of stake anyway...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12