Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    One thing that you'll soon discover with whoopies versus straps is that allow for a shorter minimum distance between trees. Straps can go virtually to the end of the hammock, whereas whoopies require space for the line and then the webbing. Another benefit to straps is that if you find yourself in finger-numbing cold, straps are easier to manage and adjust than whoopies. As far as keeping the straps from getting the hammock wet, the buckles or rings act as a water break.

I've found big trees to be an issue as well with whoopies. The tulip poplars in my backyard are over 8' in circumference as are many other in old growth forests around here. Having some 12-14' straps will manage that more easily than whoopies and 8' straps.

I have both straps and whoopies, but I've been reverting back to mostly straps due to their adaptability and ease of deployment.
    HOLY BAT POOP BATMAN ... I'm agreeing ... and doing exactly what Wisenber is doing. Is that one of the signs of the Apocalypse?

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    I had whoopies on most of my hammocks, but am in the process of converting them to dogbones and straps with elephant trunks. I got 12' straps from Harbor Freight and Attached Elephant Trunks and attach them to the dogbones that are attached to my hammock. I have also added Dutch clips to make it much faster to hook it all up. I love this system much better than using whoopies.
    Whoopies don't work well with trees close together.
    "No whining in the woods"

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    One thing that you'll soon discover with whoopies versus straps is that allow for a shorter minimum distance between trees. Straps can go virtually to the end of the hammock, whereas whoopies require space for the line and then the webbing. Another benefit to straps is that if you find yourself in finger-numbing cold, straps are easier to manage and adjust than whoopies. As far as keeping the straps from getting the hammock wet, the buckles or rings act as a water break.

I've found big trees to be an issue as well with whoopies. The tulip poplars in my backyard are over 8' in circumference as are many other in old growth forests around here. Having some 12-14' straps will manage that more easily than whoopies and 8' straps.

I have both straps and whoopies, but I've been reverting back to mostly straps due to their adaptability and ease of deployment.
    yep, all this

i used whoopies, straps and toggles for 2 years.....a year a ago i got a wbbb with straps and just find i like that set-up much better, i especially like how much quicker i can set-up and take down my hammock, along with all the other benefits.....wider spectrum of tree distances that are available with straps, and no leaving anything behind

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    They are just choices. Comes down to what you prefer.
    I like whoopie slings and straps because I get to say whoopee slings.
    Straps are easy and fast. Just a bit more bulk but in the over-all it is negligible.
    Shug o' Whoop
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Im still new to the hammock world and only have a season under my belt but so far I dont mind having an extra ounce or two added to my pack to have my webbing. Webbing and cinch rings are waaay more easy to adjust than whoopies. I do like my whoopies but just prefer the ease of use with the webbing. If you really want to shave a few ounces and you dont mind dealing with them in the freezing rain with numb fingers then the whoopie is for you.

Webbing is just more versatile than whoopies. Whoopies are ounce or two lighter. Both have pros and cons. Its just a preference as to which you use.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Images
    I've also been trying to figure out trade-offs between suspension systems, so really appreciate all the comments here!

Think I'll stick with the quick and easy webbing with dutch clips this winter, which work well since my hands tend to get frozen. But will give those whoopies a try when my hands finally thaw out in the spring, because I do enjoy shaving the ounces off.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Have both. Use both.

Best thing about the whoopies is they take up less space when packed.
    Best thing about straps w. cinch buckles is the simplicity.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Some Gathered End or Other
    Tarp
    DIY CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and etc.
    Images
    I find the simplest thing for me is buckles or descender rings and webbing. I make a lot of hammocks for friends and this is almost all I use for that. Just like described here:

http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGe...eSupports.html

I use this on their hammocks because it's easy to do and everyone has worked a belt before so there's not much of a learning curve for beginners.

That being said I personally use whoopies about half the time. They're just fun and bulk is more of an issue to me than weight.
    Some say I'm apathetic, but I don't care. - Randy

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images

I have the same feeling as Wisenber. I haven't totally switched back yet and i like whoopies but i think i might switch to webbing for winter. My WBBB still has the original webbing on it ,,,i'm just going to switch to the triangular buckles. Around my area i have to carry 8' tree straps.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Whoopies slings all the way. I just got them and love them. Easy to adjust, quick to set up and **** right awesome!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast