Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Cycling NY to LA with a hammock

I've recently abandoned a trip some of you will have read about here - from the UK to S.Korea - because of visa problems. Now I'm doing NY to LA instead.

No planning whatsoever. In time I'll post in here asking for advice on routes, campsites etc. I'd be especielly grateful if any of you could point out hanging spots near where you live or even let me use the lawn!

But to begin with, here's the situation:

5th Oct. Arrive NY JFK 10pm. Sleep in airport lounge because there are no cheap hostels or Warmshowers hosts at short notice (please offer advice here if you have any!).

6th Oct: Assemble bike. Leave airport (any Newyorkers want to tell me which road to take?!) at sunrise. Negotiate NY whilst looking out for shops that will replace broken laptop and dying rear bike rack. Point bike towards Philadelphia. Camp somewhere for free although WS hosts are being begged as I write.

7th Oct: Continue along this red line, more or less, at 70-100 miles per day:

25th Dec. be in Phoenix Arizona for Crimbo with the cousins. Then go to LA and fly to S. Korea

Here's a link to the failed attempt to get to China, which has ended at the Iranian border.

Link to blog. I'll carry on updating it. No time or laptop to do a new one. Apols for anti-American banter. All/most/some of it is an in-joke with aforementıoned cousins. I love you really, brethren.

Hope you enjoy reading and PLEASE speak up if you have any advice or help to offer! I like hammock geekery, free lawns to camp on and bringing beer to say thanks.

Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Images
    here is the best place to get info and maps that are specific to biking across the US .. http://www.adventurecycling.org/
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

Thanks, Black Wolf, their routes look good. Edit: but way out of my budget.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    If you end up close to Augusta, Ga. or McCormick, SC drop me a pm. Plenty of poles in the yard to hang from and free food.
    "No whining in the woods"

Bajahanger, definitely going that way. Thanks for the kind offer. 99% chance I'll take you up on it!

Update for the rest, just to set your worried-sick minds at ease, I've found a place to stay tomorrow night (5th Oct). In Noo Joisey.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    If you dawdle a bit, your trip might take you to MAHHA at Gathland SP in Maryland Oct. 20th. Then you could cycle down Rte 11 through the Shenandoah Valley (it runs parallel to I-81). Nice stretch, avoids mountains (but you miss West Virginia).

Images
    October thru December wow not my favorite months even on a southern route best of luck. I look forward to reading your trip report/s
    Last edited by OutandBack; 10-04-2012 at 13:20.

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    If you dawdle a bit, your trip might take you to MAHHA at Gathland SP in Maryland Oct. 20th. Then you could cycle down Rte 11 through the Shenandoah Valley (it runs parallel to I-81). Nice stretch, avoids mountains (but you miss West Virginia).
    Interested in skipping mountains. Plus I don't mind which states I cross unless cycling is illegal in some. The only ones I really want to go to are Alabama (to see if people really speak like Forrest Gump) and Arizona for family.

Tell me more about MAHHA. Link?

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    October thru December wow not my favorite months even on a southern route best of luck. I look forward to reading your trip report/s
    It will be less cold than China would have been.

Also Christmas cheer. From what I understand of Americans, having seen a great many of them on TV, I'll be mistaken for a mysterious travelling wise man from the East and be invited into homes on a daily basis for food, wine and merriment.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobsh View Post
    It will be less cold than China would have been.

Also Christmas cheer. From what I understand of Americans, having seen a great many of them on TV, I'll be mistaken for a mysterious travelling wise man from the East and be invited into homes on a daily basis for food, wine and merriment.
    Yeah, we're just like Turkey.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast