wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by R00K View Post
    Start a daily cardio workout and keep it up until you leave for your trip. I thought about everything BUT that and ended up not being in decent enough shape to do any kind of real mileage.
    ive been doing some pretty hard traing for over a year, and a half now.i can cover more than what i expect to do as a daily average right now,but im unaware of how that will pan out with anything higher than the ozark mountains.plan to start slow and let my body tell me when im ready for the next gear.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Make very sure of your connections in Maine. I don't know what the passenger train situation is like in Maine, but I know for a fact there is very little close to Katadin. Passenger service was pretty poor in that neck of the woods when I was up there 20 years ago. I doubt it has gotten better.
    thanks for the responce.ive yet to locate the closest train station to katadin,will look into it.anyone have that knowlege feel free to chime in.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Never, EVER believe a section hiker about anything! There is NOT water right around the corner, town is NOT just over the next hill, and it most certainly is NOT all downhill from here.

Otherwise, just walk. That's all you have to do.
    lmao...thats universal for all trails.i think translated it must mean im in a zone go away, and dont bother me.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos View Post
    This..... +1

Bus and train service is good from Millonocket and Bangor.
    great ill look into this.the reason i wanted to start in pawling is because of the old train stop that stops right on the at ,its kind of historic ,plus ive never riden a train before so its a win-win.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I think people stress out too much with their preperations. If you know how to do a three to five day hike you are fine because basically it's just a whole bunch of them in a row. Just get your pack weight down but have the correct gear for the expected temps and start walking. Try not to tale to many back ups to the backups. I started with too many batteries and realized I could buy more three days down the trail. I was always in my hammock by dark...hardly ever even used my flashlight, let alone need extra batteries. If my one BIC lighter died I would have simply eaten cold. Just a couple of examples.
    boy you know it .its become an obsession,ive become a sponge for anything i can get my hands on about hiking,my equipment,tactics,there is no end to it.if i make it white blaze ,and hammock forums sure will have increased my comfort /confidence level.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    They are just mad that most of the trail maintainers are former northbounders...and mark the water sources accordingly.

Seriously to the OP; when you flip and start going south, pay close attention to where the water is 'supposed' to be. It is true that things (like water sources) are not marked as well for the southbounders. This is especially true in the southern states. Kind of easy to tell which direction the trail maintainer for any given section hiked when they did their thru.

Best to keep your head on a swivel when you get thirsty. I can remember 6 different spots where I found a water marker on, what for me was, the wrong side of the tree.
    how much water should i feel comfortable with ,i dont want to over carry.the guys that have worked for me have all said i go a long time before drinking,but then drink 60 oz at lunch.ill be cameling up at sources.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    They are just mad that most of the trail maintainers are former northbounders...and mark the water sources accordingly.

Seriously to the OP; when you flip and start going south, pay close attention to where the water is 'supposed' to be. It is true that things (like water sources) are not marked as well for the southbounders. This is especially true in the southern states. Kind of easy to tell which direction the trail maintainer for any given section hiked when they did their thru.

Best to keep your head on a swivel when you get thirsty. I can remember 6 different spots where I found a water marker on, what for me was, the wrong side of the tree.
    will most of the water be on trail or off on a seperate trail.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    I agree, but even more so: Never EVER believe ANYONE about anything. There is NOT water right around the corner, town is NOT just over the next hill, and it most certainly is NOT all downhill from here.

Everyone's abilities are different! Everyone's PERCEPTIONS are different.
    A true story: I was somewhere along the AT (that stretch where the AT is the border tween NC & Tenn, I met a young couple of weekenders going the opposite direction, as usual we said hi, I told them "Plenty of water over next 4 or so miles" They said "GOOD, cause there hasn't been ANY water since we got on the trail 3 miles back!!!!" we said our goodby's. About 1/2 mile later I crossed a stream that crossed the trail, as in I GOT MY FEET WET! NO way to have missed it. "NO WATER?" I finally figured it out, they were expecting a faucet or similar every mile or so. I had to stop & have a good laugh, filled my water bottles & headed on down the trail. Crossed / passed a spring & another stream before "Their" parking lot. I often wonder about those two.
    thanks for the reply,and pm.i will take your advice to heart.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hairbear View Post
    great ill look into this.the reason i wanted to start in pawling is because of the old train stop that stops right on the at ,its kind of historic ,plus ive never riden a train before so its a win-win.
    If memory serves, both of those are quite a distance from Katadin. I would look for bus service. Amtrak only goes to Portland. That's a long way away. Local buses would be your best bet to get there. There have to be outfitters nearby Baxter State Park. They may be able help you with those logistics.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hairbear View Post
    will most of the water be on trail or off on a seperate trail.
    You'll stumble upon plenty of water in most places, but a good chunk of the water sources ID'd in the guides will be just off the trail. Not far, but usually not terribly obvious either. Now and again, you'll find water well below the trail. Almost always, these sites are in areas that are fairly dry, so you'll be going regardless. Those water holes are usually very well marked. Just pay attention to your guide book and where you are on the trail. You'll be fine.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast