Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Huggerless HH's

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    Speaking as a forester: A tree can take a lot of abuse including removing most of the bark and not die. .
    Well, you should know, thanks for the info!

Images
    I have a question. we have all been talking about the bad side effects of rope and about the webbing of our hammock...

But what about our tarp? I confess that i uses rope directly on the tree when i am tying my tarp but i do wrap it around a few time to ease the pressure on the tree. But would the rope which we use our tarp to tie to affect the trees? or should we also get another huggers for our tarp?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm sure it affects the trees somewhat, but a tarp doesn't put hundreds of pounds of pressure on the tree like a hammock does. I'm just careful not to cause a sawing motion as I wrap the guyline around the tree and I think it's ok. But this is one reason some parks don't allow ANYTHING to be tied to trees.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    If you use a small biner on your tarp lines for quick setup it's easy to leave a little slack in the line around the tree. All you have to do is loop the line from the tarp around the tree and through your biner 4 or 5 times (like is done to increase friction for rappeling) and it will hold your tarp just fine. If you are still concerned you could place small sticks under the area contacting the tree. I did this on a few thin skinned trees that had been rain soaked for days. I don't know if it was needed or not but it made me feel better. This also works with hammock suspension lines if needed.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Images
    I have been trying out using rope that tends to flatten for the tarp ridge line. I used some light duty hollow braid polypropylene for a while but am now using 7/64" Amsteel Blue like I switched to for my bear line. It helps some, it is low friction on the trees so less likely to cut with any sawing motion.
    Youngblood AT2000

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by T-BACK View Post
    Education is not the problem, apathy is.
    As Charlie Brown's friend Linus said, "I love Mankind... it's People I can't stand!"
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    just bought the HH explorer
    Please forgive this beginner, but I just want to make sure...
    The seatbelt-like straps that were sent with my HH are fine, right?
    Or are tree huggers something different. I have only used them in
    my woods and haven't noticed any damage to the pine bark yet.
    Thanks.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Yes, those seatbelts are really tree huggers, Wrap them around the pine tree instead of the rope.

It keeps the sap off the expensive rope, and won't damage the tree.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123