Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frontline

Frontline

Hi

I'm just about to order a frontline hammock but I am to sure if I should get the 3x3 tarp or the next size up the 4x3 I think? I am actually buying the hammock for a survival hunt we are doing in winter. The bush veld gets down to about 0 Celcuis in winter which is almost freezing. What can I use to insult the bottom of my hammock?

Thanx

Eddie

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    Are you saying meters ? In feet I prefer a tarp no smaller than 10ft by 10ft it allows me to close in the ends as doors and plenty of headroom when I stake the tarp directly to the ground so there is no drafts! Get your self an Underquilt if you can afford it ! If not you could use a blue foam pad and try some Reflectives they work miracles when you have cold spots ! You can buy the Reflectives cheap from Lowes or Home Depot ! It's a bubble wrap double sided with shiny stuff ! It's used to cover and insulate ductwork around $15 a roll .
    High ground is dry ground!
    Moondoggy

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    Try you tube and watch some of the Shug's videos ! They will help!
    Moondoggy

Quote Originally Posted by Moondoggy View Post
    Are you saying meters ? In feet I prefer a tarp no smaller than 10ft by 10ft it allows me to close in the ends as doors and plenty of headroom when I stake the tarp directly to the ground so there is no drafts! Get your self an Underquilt if you can afford it ! If not you could use a blue foam pad and try some Reflectives they work miracles when you have cold spots ! You can buy the Reflectives cheap from Lowes or Home Depot ! It's a bubble wrap double sided with shiny stuff ! It's used to cover and insulate ductwork around $15 a roll .
    It is in meters so its 10 ft square next size up is 4,5mx3m or is that to big will the 3x3 be fine? I will try find something like that here in South Africa. Hammocks arent very popular here cos they so expensive. I have had to import mine direct from DD in the UK! Is an underquilt specially had for the under protection?

Hammock
    DDCamping/HennessySafari
    Tarp
    Etowa10/10silnylon
    Insulation
    GL TQ /Yeti&AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee slings
    Images
    Sounds like the 3/3 is perfect and yes the UQ is just for under protection ! DD makes an insulated UQ you can try theirs or Look at Arrowhead Equiptment or the manny other Vendors on this site !
    Moondoggy

Cool! Thanx I will check it out! I have a first accent comfy light sleeping mattress that i can put in between the the two bottom layers in the DD which should work as well! I have read that is could work!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    In my opinion, the smaller tarp will give good coverage - easier to pitch and lighter also.
    For underside insulation in my Frontline I have used and extra sleeping bag, a windsheild reflector, or a foam pad. All worked very well.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    The 3x3 tarp should be fine, I got the 4x4m and it's huge, I mean, really too big! And it weighs A LOT! Go with the 3x3, I wish I had

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss Sky Bed
    Tarp
    HB Sky Tent 2
    Insulation
    Enlightened Equip
    Suspension
    BOM Micro Rope

Tarp

I have a video of the tarp in use, I am doing some final edits and am planning to post it tonight, I will include a link after it is done so you can see what the 3x3 tarp is like, I also have a video of the tarp being used with the hammock as a bivy which can be seen at this link;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9aQpv8AmvY

I like the 3x3 tarp but for the winter I think I would prefer the 4x4 because you can really close yourself in and prevent a lot of draft. I would recommend after setting up your tarp to pack in snow around it where there is holes that air can blow through, this will help with keeping you warm. I found the DD hammocks to be much more comfortable when using a sleeping pad and that will also help with keeping you warm at night but you might want to consider getting a warm under quilt for that extra added comfort. In addition to that I always keep a hot water bottle in my bag with me which reallly makes a huge difference for me.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    If, during this survival hunt, you intend on packing everything in over long distances on your back, go with the smaller (lighter) 3m x 3m. If, however, you aren't going to be going long distances with everything on your back, then go with the larger (more coverage) 4m x 3m.

The reasoning being, the smaller one will do just fine for precipitation but may block less wind. The larger one will give you more space under the tarp and offer better wind blockage, but will be more of a pain to pack long distances.

Anyway, my two cents...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast