Quote Originally Posted by kc0qnx View Post
I saw an older post on someones trip to Backbone and I read about a group hang at Yellow River Forrest but as far as other places.....input?

I read on the DNR's site looking for what they do and don't allow at regular camping areas and nothing was said about hammocks. I'm thinking places to take kids, other than the isolated "stealth" locations I may slip into for spot to set up.

Stupid question maybe but if one hikes in along a river, does the state have jurisdiction of a given amount of river bank area that might be utilized? Of course around here that's asking to stumble into a homeless encampment or meth lab around the metro so you'd need to get fairly rural, which is where I am.

Any ideas or knowledge on this is appreciated
From your location, Id say the best place to get in a quick hang with the kids would be Ledges State Park over by Boone. The campgrounds are fairly nice and in the lower areas of the park by the "drive over" streams you can follow some trails and do some primitive camping whereever you want- though not sure if thats legal or not, but in my younger days we did it all the time with no questions asked.