DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    You can get the support you like in either a single or double layer. Just get thicker, heavier fabric for the single layer. I have double 1.0 oz. hammocks that feel about the same as my single 1.9 oz. hammock. I have a single 2.6 oz. hammock that feels too hard for my taste. Others are loving their single layer M50 hammock with 0.7 oz. fabric. It's sort of like a "Sleep Number" bed commercial.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    i like a double,it frees up options in personal changes.i feel it also will hold more weight,so would appeal to a wider variety of customers upon resale.the only down side would be the small amount of weight gain.if your in the real cold you might find a night or two that you say i think ill use my u q and pad.
    Last edited by hairbear; 12-14-2012 at 08:20. Reason: fat finger syndrome

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    I prefer a double layered hammock. The added weight isn't quite as bad as you might think. A doubled layered hammock weighs about seven oz more than a single layer. My 30" y 5' closed cell pad weighs about 10 oz, but my 3/4 under quilt weighs 17 oz. If you buy into the fact you need two layers for a sleeping pad, then there really isn't much difference in weight.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Except for bridge hammocks, pads are always a little bit squirelly in between the layers, so I actually find I like being on top of the pad so I can grab and adjust it. When using an UQ, its more efficient to have only a single layer, albeit minimally so.

I personally haven't seen much difference in the lay for single/double layered hammocks, but might make a more significant difference the more you get up towards the top end of the weight capacity. (I'm 170)
    Pads are squirrelly even between double layers?

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post

I could see a slick nylon covered pad moving a bit, but the "Evazote" type CCF pads sold by our cottage manufacturers stay in place between layers and are difficult to move around on if you lay directly on them in a hammock.

Two layers all the way if you plan to use a pad.

If you decide against a pad later, the only "penalty" is a couple of ounces.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I like dbl layers over single layers simply because I find dbl to be firmer then single layers. Even with single weight fabrics that can hold my weight I still find dbl firmer then single layers. Ill pay the weight penalty for the comfort.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    If you think you'll ever use a pad, get a double layer.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Dangerbird Custom in ACU Camo
    Tarp
    Superfly camo
    Insulation
    Zissou 15 Dridown
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Cool thanks everyone! I have no big concerns on weight since I am planning on mainly using it on my motorcycle trip. My biggest concern is it somehow didn't work as well with a underquilt in the future but I think that's more a misunderstanding since Hennessey uses the SS. I think I got it.

Next question is has anyone used a thermarest basecamp 3 sleeping pad. Any suggestions on blowup vs foam type matts. My biggest concern is space (not milimeters but I don't want to carry too much strapped to my bike) and warmth. I think the hammock would be plenty comply for me without the matt but I'm looking for some layering between me and the coldish wind as I will be out for 6 weeks and don't want to be cold and miserable all night. After all that is taken into consideration next is price followed by comfort (I think they are all pretty comfortable). I am also a 230 pound guy and fairly broad so I am looking at the XL version of thermarest. Open to suggestions though

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by macinnisl View Post
    Cool thanks everyone! I have no big concerns on weight since I am planning on mainly using it on my motorcycle trip. My biggest concern is it somehow didn't work as well with a underquilt in the future but I think that's more a misunderstanding since Hennessey uses the SS. I think I got it.

Next question is has anyone used a thermarest basecamp 3 sleeping pad. Any suggestions on blowup vs foam type matts. My biggest concern is space (not milimeters but I don't want to carry too much strapped to my bike) and warmth. I think the hammock would be plenty comply for me without the matt but I'm looking for some layering between me and the coldish wind as I will be out for 6 weeks and don't want to be cold and miserable all night. After all that is taken into consideration next is price followed by comfort (I think they are all pretty comfortable). I am also a 230 pound guy and fairly broad so I am looking at the XL version of thermarest. Open to suggestions though
    You should look at some of the Exped insulated mats:
    http://www.exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage_na.nsf
    The problem with the thermarest pads is they don't have much insulation and tend to feel cold when the temperature drops. Of course, it all depends on how cold things will get on your trip. Plus, some people are quite happy with the thermarest pads, I've just never felt warm with them.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    For a gathered end hammock, trying to get a flat diagonal lay... in my opinion, yes, they are alway squirrelly.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I could see a slick nylon covered pad moving a bit, but the "Evazote" type CCF pads sold by our cottage manufacturers stay in place between layers and are difficult to move around on if you lay directly on them in a hammock.

Two layers all the way if you plan to use a pad.

If you decide against a pad later, the only "penalty" is a couple of ounces.
    True, if you find like me that you didn't need the double layer, then its a relatively small penalty, both in terms of weight and cost.

And truly, part of my issue is using an air pad which I take for just-in-case purposes. I can't sleep on the ground on any other pad. If you don't need a pad for this purpose, I'd squeeze every cent you can to get an underquilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast 71 View Post
    If you think you'll ever use a pad, get a double layer.
    Different strokes I guess. I followed much of the same advice and found it didn't work for me. If you don't need the double layer for weight capacity purposes, then a single layer is lighter and costs less, leaving more room in your pack and your budget for an underquilt.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast