DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing

Canopy Camping --- a DIY bridge hammock that won't kill me

I used to use a hammock for all of my canopy camping until I found a cheap way to build my own portaledge:

The reason why I made the switch is because I had troubles with feeling as though I was falling out of my hammock due to the wind encountered high in the tree tops. The portaledge fixed this problem since it has a rigid frame and I love it.

HOWEVER! It is very bulky and when I go bushwacking it really makes the hike less enjoyable. So I am switching back to a hammock but now that I have a nice sewing machine I plan to build a bridge hammock which should be more secure in the canopy even if the wind is blowing.

My question is, how do I know the amount of taper I will need on the sides of the hammock? This photo should help understand my question:

I will be rolling the sides around climb spec webbing then sewing it together. The webbing will be holding most of the weight which means there will be a droop in the center. If I use a rectangle the middle of the hammock will droop. Any ideas for how I can measure the taper?

Refreshing
    Last edited by Refreshing; 12-14-2012 at 00:06.
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Ahhhh I am an idiot sorry guys. I just used the search button and found this awesome thread:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1676

But if someone has a simpler non mathmatical answer please share it! Haha.
    Last edited by Refreshing; 12-13-2012 at 21:02.
    v
    v

^
    ^

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Super Fly &amp; HG
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie or Webbing
    Images
    Hey your back
    Sorry I have no answer for your question but glad your still ok & hanging high.
    Always liked your tree top photos.

Images
    I don't know what the hell that is but I don't think I would sleep in it on the ground much less the canopy....at first I thought it was one of those folding beach chairs, not sure now.

swank

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I think I remember seeing a you tube video that addressed your question.
    Search you tube for bridge hammock designs. It might have been by Grizz

Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    Kbajg, ya I didn't have any hammock photos to share since I have been using my ledge. I do a lot more canopy camping in the winter so hopefully I can get some pictures of the hammock I am working on when I'm using it climbing!

Swankfly, close . It is an aluminum frame cot with the legs pulled. I spend all my money on climbing trips and cant afford a real ledge haha. (btw, i pulled the picture because I realized a biner is crossloaded against a branch in the photo, dont want ppl thinking I am unsafe!)

Ibgary, thanks, I have been using grizz's tutorial to get my hammock going tonight.
    Last edited by Refreshing; 12-14-2012 at 00:08.
    v
    v

^
    ^

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    If you want a real ledge, I have a Pika double with the rain fly. I'm married with children, so my big wall days are behind me. If you want it send me an offer.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide &amp; Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky &amp; GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Hope you're using a safety harness strapped some where to yourself, while trying to sleep. Here's a thread that boils it down to basics. Bare with it, it is in there http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=58444&page=2 The only draw back is that you won't have a one point of suspension like your ledge and I could see that being a possible P.I.T.A

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    For the bridge suspension to work, you have to pull or push the corners apart, both across the hammock (speader bar) and along the hammock. Using two trees you naturally pull the ends of the hammock apart. With a single point suspension you'd have to have bars along the side as well, and then you're back to the frame you have....but this is obvious so perhaps what is "bulky" that you want to be rid of is not the frame.
    So long as we're clear on that, I'll go on the question.

By taper I gather you mean the depth of the arc on the side.

I think there are two questions really here. One is how wide you need for the hammock to be in the middle, and the other is the depth of the arc.

If I were hanging Way Up High I'd like some security in terms of how much hammock rises above me in the region of the hips. I've made bridge hammocks that range from being just shy of 30" at the waist to ones that are 38". The happy medium, for me, is about 34". Here's a picture of one with 34" , where there is room enough to curl on the side. I'm 6"1", medium build (190 lbs).

Attachment 43355

With respect to depth of the arc, I'd made them starting with about 12" deep to as shallow as 4.5". A deep one, for a given waist width, has more material at the head and foot, and gives more of a "sense" (some call it squeeze) at the shoulders. A shallower one gives one better views, but puts more stress on the corners. I've found a sweet spot at 6"-8".

I should also say that a 36" spreader bar width is my standard choice. You hav a particular frame with a particular width and need to work from that. My advice is to start at the middle---what do you need there?---using the width you have in the frame as a constraint and work back to what fabric width you want or can tolerate at the head. That will tell you what depth of arc you should be using.
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 12-14-2012 at 08:46.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    well, well, well,finally i found another tree rat.people tell me im crazy but ive been able to hang my hammock at 62 feet and 65 feet.i didnt stay, i just did it to prove i can to myself.ive been an arborist for 25 years ,so its not as hard for me to do,not to down play it.i did stay tied in though.i keep telling myself to have my son record it,as i am a compete cave man to modern gadgets lacking the ability to do it as of this point.keep having fun.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast