Hammock
    $25 Walmart special
    Tarp
    Custom Squidbilly
    Insulation
    DYI UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/huggers

She's a natural born hammocker, me not so much.

Hello, all.

My wife and I are soon to be empty nesters from Alabama. We forgot how much we miss hiking, we are not spring chickens anymore and think hammocking will be a lighter weight sleeping solution for hikes that may go for a day or two.

The little woman has health issues that give her little sleep, except when she sacks out in a hammock. We even rigged one up in our bedroom so she can actually get real rest. We watched a Shug Emery video where he slept out in some really cold weather. I came home the next day and she was rigging up her hammock in the back yard to experiment with on a cold night (30's). Two good pads, one fleece blanket, a tarp and a down comforter kept her quite cozy all night. Amazed, we were. We had never considered hammocks rigged for cold weather.

I can't sleep well in a hammock because of a lower back issue (I sleep better on a flat, hard bed or a pad on hard ground), but I've been experimenting to solve the lumbar support deal. Even slept kind of OK last Saturday night in the wife's hammock. Her benefits from hammock sleeping way outwiegh my problems with them, so I have more work/experimenting to do. Maybe some member, with simular issues as mine can chime in.

We hope to eventually be able to do a little section of the AT next year. Hope to also get rigged up with mostly homemade hammocks for some local overnight hikes in Alabama before it gets buggy here this year.

Hope to learn more and hike lighter with these things.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    congrats you will enjoy your hammock life style its fun.have you tried a bridge hammock?im pain free and comfy in mine,when i awake im fully rested with no pain.i cant say that about my bed.

Hammock
    diy,SB,WB
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    HG , Diy
    Suspension
    Whoopassees
    welcome
    My bottom disk is completely dry. On my first hammock trip (they arrived the day before we left) it took two nights before it hit me, no back pain when I got up. It had been 20 years. I'm happy for your wife and hope you can find that comfort also.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Welcome from another empty nester from Florida!
    Glad to hear that you & the wife are getting out again.
    I'll also recommend that you consider a bridge hammock for your back issues.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Welcome from Gainesville.

Glad to hear that Mrs. FlySubCompact is getting such great use out of an hammock. I second MAD777's suggestion of a bridge hammock for a flat, even lie.

But...I am also going to be a bit controversial here. I know this is "Hammock Forums", but...if you sleep better on an hard, flat surface, why not stick with ground dwelling while your wife uses the hammock on the trail? Two folks in an hammock is...suboptimal...for any longer period of sleep, unless you're both contortionists. Oh, sure, there're multiple ways of hanging close together (double bridge designs, spreader bars for gathered ends, and even a couple of manufactured double-bed hammocks from Clark), but not a one of them has you sharing the same hammock bed ("double" width hammocks not withstanding). Why not just sleep on the ground nearby? After all...it's more about actually getting out there and enjoying the trip than using the gear. (*gasp* Heresy! )

In all seriousness, though, check out bridge hammocks first for a flat lie.

And, to be honest, though I prefer a hard, flat surface for when I'm sleeping normally, I find that a gathered-end hammock that's long enough actually helps my lower back on long days. However, I don't have any recurring medical issues with that, aside from general soreness after long days on my feet. So...

Anywhichway...welcome to the madness!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    12 X 12 Guide Gear
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Perhaps I'm stating the obvious here, ...things that you've tried already, but:
    - have you tried sleeping on your side?
    - have you tried using some form of lumbar support pad while lying on your back?

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images
    have you tried a pillow or something between your legs while laying on your side? i have found that if I don't have somethign between my legs my lower back is sore the next day.
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    With an ongoing upper back/neck problem for the last 30 years I second and third using a pillow between your knees (side sleeping) or under your knees (back sleeping) for resolving pain from sleeping.

In addition to trying a bridge hammock for a flatter lay, try adding an inflated pad (use a double layer hammock). You can adjust the amount of inflation so that you get as hard a surface as you want.

Patience and trial and error will get you into a hammock set up that will give you the sleep that you deserve.

Oh, and you can always use a large enough tarp set-up that the two of you can 'sleep in one tent'.

Hammock
    $25 Walmart special
    Tarp
    Custom Squidbilly
    Insulation
    DYI UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/huggers
    Wow....a lot of replies. Thanks.

As to ground sleeping....I haven't ruled out a hammock of some sort. Mebbe the bridge might work. The one night that I did try wasn't as nice as "my bed" but I did sleep 7 hours with a pillow under my back and awoke with no pain. Hey, if I can replicate that on a hike I'd be OK. Still experimenting.

My wife is set with her's if we get the needed insulation and tarp.

We are mainly interested in this hammock stuff because I'm seeing folks online with really cold-ready sleeping gear that is light in weight. When we were young tonnage on our shoulders wasn't an issue.

This will be a fun experiment. Thanks guys.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    well, I'm in no hurry to get rid of my kids, but it sounds like fun!

Maybe she should get her own handle & post here too?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast