Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I wish my son would have taken to Scouts. We made it as far as getting his uniform put together. The night he was supposed to go for his Bobcat award he decided he wasn't interested. Try as I might I can't convince him.

He loves his hammock but I have yet to get him to sleep in it. It's more of a play area for him. Hopefully he'll be ready to go out with me before he's 8. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I was organizing my gear this afternoon when I realized I've read the subject words too many times. I have hammock #8 expected on Monday. And I'm not done yet.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post

He loves his hammock but I have yet to get him to sleep in it. It's more of a play area for him. Hopefully he'll be ready to go out with me before he's 8. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    Same with my daughter, she is seven. Tried to get her to sleep out and she was all set, until that night, decided she wanted to go back inside. She has a purple hammock that I made her.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Quote Originally Posted by JaxHiker View Post
    I wish my son would have taken to Scouts. We made it as far as getting his uniform put together. The night he was supposed to go for his Bobcat award he decided he wasn't interested. Try as I might I can't convince him. :
    He's young still. My son has been on and off about scouts since he was 9. He took a long time to get to Life Scout rank then just quit for about 2 years. I was very disappointed.

As luck would have it a local scout troop asked permission to camp in our front yard a few months ago. (Yes we live so far out in the boonies our front yard is a good scout campsite) He spent the night camping with them and joined their troop without any pushing from me or his dad. So for him the key was not to push. I was basically told that this is HIS thing and bud out. I'm alright with that

Of course it was also pointed out to him by a recruiter that an Eagle Scout can go into the military as an E3 if he does the prebasic checklist. That's two whole pay grade raises for doing fun stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    Same with my daughter, she is seven. Tried to get her to sleep out and she was all set, until that night, decided she wanted to go back inside. She has a purple hammock that I made her.
    A purple hammock... How cool

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdi View Post
    He's young still. My son has been on and off about scouts since he was 9. He took a long time to get to Life Scout rank then just quit for about 2 years. I was very disappointed.

As luck would have it a local scout troop asked permission to camp in our front yard a few months ago. (Yes we live so far out in the boonies our front yard is a good scout campsite) He spent the night camping with them and joined their troop without any pushing from me or his dad. So for him the key was not to push. I was basically told that this is HIS thing and bud out. I'm alright with that

Of course it was also pointed out to him by a recruiter that an Eagle Scout can go into the military as an E3 if he does the prebasic checklist. That's two whole pay grade raises for doing fun stuff

Glad he got back into it. And since it was on his own, hopefully he will make Eagle. On Monday, I officially move from Asstant Scout Master to Scout Master in our troop. Sad to say, but my son didn't make Eagle. I pushed and tried, then when he turned 17, I backed off,, and left it up to him. He was 1 merit badge and his project from making it.... He is going to love his presents......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

My son is 16. I think he's going to take it seriously enough to make Eagle.
    He showed me a spread sheet he made showing what badges he needs and what he has partially done. Pretty much needs to do one item on each of 5 badges plus one whole badge and a project.
    I think he wants to clean up a trail for his project.
    But one thing I am doing is not even mentioning Scouts unless he does.
    (though he is currently my Family Life slave MWA HA HA HA HA HA)

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A purple hammock, eh? He's got a Scout. I wonder if I should pick up some Spiderman ripstop.

I'm trying to to push the Scouts. I thought he'd be interested since he friends are doing it but he goes his own way. My nephew was very involved. My brother got the Wood Badge as well. Then he got a girlfriend (my nephew ) and quit.

I had no idea you could bump to E3. That's cool.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

My oldest turned his paper work for Eagle with days to spare. My second never passed 1st Class butstayed active till he aged out last Fall. My youngest croses over in March so 8 more years of monthly camping. I can't wait. I was DL in Cubs and ASM for 7 years and SM for 3. Got a HH expedition for him for Crossover and we have his stand already built. Used it at Webeloree the past Fall. He and the older one accompanied me toFall MAHHA.

BTW moms can make wonderful leaders. We had one mom go to Philmont, Northern Tier was a District Trainer. My wife is a trained leader and has been to more Summer Camps than me. Being a teacher she doesn't have to take time off.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Quote Originally Posted by Artjrk View Post
    BTW moms can make wonderful leaders. We had one mom go to Philmont, Northern Tier was a District Trainer. My wife is a trained leader and has been to more Summer Camps than me. Being a teacher she doesn't have to take time off.

I was the Assistant Adviser for Troop 911 Police Explorers back in the day.
    Then was a merit badge councilor after my son joined when he was eight. I'd love to do that again but since he specifically told me to not join in this troop I am staying away. It's very hard for me to do that.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12