WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Thanks for the compliments WV and cfi on the fly,,,like Brandon said,,,you can get away with some change in suspension at the foot end cause the spreader bar is only 28"..and a small amount if your going to take the 4" spreader extender out the head end. He was dead on in his statements thru his extensive testing. Personally, in my studys of the bridge hammock, I think, as you shallow up the bridge hammock for the shallow lay, and then widen it,as well as lengthen it too, the question I have for the bridge guru's is, have we reached a threshhold or peaked on the shallowness vs width vs length? I think that may be the reason, nobody is making a larger bridge for the bigger hangers because you might have to make the larger bridge hammock alot deeper and think of how long the suspension would have to be as well as a larger diameter spreader bar for holding the weight plus heavier fabric which then you would have to ask yourself, how much would it weigh?. Maybe we ought to have Professor Hammock run his math formula on this to find out the answers.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    Thanks for the extensive testing Acer...

Can you show us your top cover/SEEP?

I'm trying to figure out a good design for a DIY sock for the RR, always looking for inspiration.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by priller View Post
    Thanks for the extensive testing Acer...

Can you show us your top cover/SEEP?

I'm trying to figure out a good design for a DIY sock for the RR, always looking for inspiration.
    priller if you watch this video, it will show the top cover as well as some mods I made on my first bridge hammock, a BMBH UL that I moded.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybY3bNwRvPU
    That top cover fits the WBRR bridge perfectly so everything will interchange between the 2 bridge hammmocks, the UQP by 2Q & ZQ and my home made top cover made by hand sewing as I don't have a machine.

I am still doing more testing on the suspension of the WB RR and will post in a couple of days 2 more tests of the suspension which this first one works like a charm for me.

Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Images
    Thanks Acer!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images

Test 4 and 5

In remembering Brandon commented you maybe get away with a minor modification on the head spreader bar triangle suspension I decided to try it.

Test 4
    Leave the foot suspension triangle amsteel at 37" like it was, and make the head triangles with the 4" extension out (as I wasn't going to ever put it back in anyhow as the lay is perfect for me with it out) making the amsteel triangles at a measurement of 39.5 long. Worked like a charm. Totally stable, slept in it all nite, no tippiness, couldn't see any additional stress on header bar at all. RL was a total length of 152". I figured what the heck for tonite.

Test 5.
    I get home, and leave foot end suspension at 37 again. Shorten the head triangle (with the 4" extension out of the head spreader bar always) shorten the 2 pieces of amsteel to 37". Been in and out of the hammock and I see no difference between the lay and feel of the hammock than Test 4. Perfect for me. Will sleep in it tonite and test it more. But, My RL from Dutch Beiner to Dutch Beiner (where the buckles used to be) is exactly 144" and the whole shebang with fit under my 12" long cuben HG tarp with doors. I am super pleased.

One major comment on using amsteel. My stock 42.5 in amsteel suspension ropes, after sleeping in the hammock 5 nites in a row, are finally stretched out to about a 1 to 1.5 inches longer,,44" long. Same will go for the amsteel that you make by using locking brummels on the ends. No matter how tight you pull your brummels and amsteel feeds...your body weight will eventually tighten all the knots and take the slack out of them. In other words, my new 37" amsteel suspension on the head end will stretch a 1" or 1.5" more with a couple of nites sleep. Just letting you know as I am done tweaking with this hammock.

Hammock is very perfectly made by WB. Tweaking was so I could fit it inside a 4 door winter tarp of cuben with a RL of 12', and mission accomplished and will keep every body posted in case I break a spreader bar in the future, but I just don't see the stress as of yet and the stability is pretty perfect with no tippiness.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Thanks again!

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Yesterday,,I decided to take off the straps and buckles and leave the Dutch Biner attached to the dogbones and go back to whoopies for the heck of it. Had a very unstable nite of sleeping in the hammock with the whoopies on. This morning, I put the straps and Dutch buckles back on,,and hammock was stable as all get out. There is something to having the loop wrapped 5 times around the buckle with the loop attached to the Dutch beiner that the dogbone suspension is attached to with it shortened. It definitely adds to the stability of the RR especially with the dogbones shortened. I just wanted to post this update as to what works for me and I am thinking is a key part if your going to shorten the dogbone suspension.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Oldman Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Warb. Yeti,& Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Great Post Very Informative

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    Test 5.
    I get home, and leave foot end suspension at 37 again. Shorten the head triangle (with the 4" extension out of the head spreader bar always) shorten the 2 pieces of amsteel to 37".......
    I've been using my WBRR sorta-clone (with the 4" extension removed as well) inside for a few nights and wanted to shorten it up to allow raising it without making a taller stand.

So...I looked up this thread and decided to try your 37" for the suspension triangle. Unfortunately I had one of those senior moments while I was calculating the overall cut length, buries, etc. and didn't allow for the amount the constrictors shorten the length. They came out to only be 35 1/4" which grew to 36" after the first weighting.

It still feels stable so I'll keep it like this for now. Thanks again for the testing Acer.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I am at on both of my RR's 34.5 and 35" on the dogbones and feel that is the most comfortable for me,,even tho a couple of peeps has been shorter. I read in a previous posting of somebody wanting to go all the way down to 27" but when I got below 30 inches to me is was way to tippy and unstable. I have very good stablitity at around 35 and with a 12' long tarp,,very good coverage in hard rain but I still put drip lines on everything possible just for peace of mind.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12