Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    I was thinking of adding a cord lock at my left shoulder. This way, I could cinch it tighter if needed (don't ask why I thought of this, think 30 mph wind and no weather cover!)
    The original design had a strong double cord lock at the top where it passes over the whipping mass. Just one long line of shockcord, but not knotted at the end. It allowed me to adjust for length very easily and noticed that the Yetis don't appear to have that little feature.

It was just a convenience and added a couple of grams (weenie), so I guess I can see why he stopped doing that. Thanks for the answer.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    The original design had a strong double cord lock at the top where it passes over the whipping mass. Just one long line of shockcord, but not knotted at the end. It allowed me to adjust for length very easily and noticed that the Yetis don't appear to have that little feature.

It was just a convenience and added a couple of grams (weenie), so I guess I can see why he stopped doing that. Thanks for the answer.
    my thought was to steal the double cord lock from the stuff sack (same as the BB bishop sack) and use it as it is overkill on the stuff sack
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    It arrived as a single loop, knotted at one end. WBG guy included directions covering the possiblility of needing to adjust the length on shorter hammocks.
    I was thinking of adding a cord lock at my left shoulder. This way, I could cinch it tighter if needed (don't ask why I thought of this, think 30 mph wind and no weather cover!) Still, IMO, that combo of wind, temp and limited tarp coverage, the Yeti exceeded my expectations. I might never duplicate that situation again...
    I was going to run the idea of tighting it further by WBG to get his input.
    That is what I did I talked about it with Brandon as well the one thing I did wrong was I put the UQ line at the foot end of the hammock where it was gathered. Brandon told me that it really needs to be flipped up on the foot box which makes it lay better and does not give such a gap that did work but I still put chord locks that I stole off a old sleeping bag on both ends.

Now I have some adjustment works good

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    If it's the same cord lock as on my stuff sack, I don't think it will hold. There's more tension on that cord than you might think. Maybe if you tied a little knot behind the cord lock; I bet that would work. The one on my torso UQ has a little thumb handle that you have to pull out to release the locks. Really strong, but a serious PITA to learn how to use; a third hand would be wicked convenient.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cavediver2 View Post
    That is what I did I talked about it with Brandon as well the one thing I did wrong was I put the UQ line at the foot end of the hammock where it was gathered. Brandon told me that it really needs to be flipped up on the foot box which makes it lay better and does not give such a gap that did work but I still put chord locks that I stole off a old sleeping bag on both ends.
    I also had my shock cord tensioned at the gathered point. Putting the foot end shock cord over the ridge line? (or did you mean the shockcord needs to run ontop of the footbox? I had it tensioned to the gathered material and over the top of the footbox) I would have alot of extra shock cord then...

If it's the same cord lock as on my stuff sack, I don't think it will hold. There's more tension on that cord than you might think. Maybe if you tied a little knot behind the cord lock; I bet that would work.
    More testing!! Shouldn't be too hard to nail down and knot if necessary.
    Cannibal - Do you put the foot end shock cord over the ridge line on your UQ? Is your suspension similar to the Yeti?
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Other than the cordlock and one other minor modification, the suspensions are identical. No, I don't go over the ridgeline with the shockcord. I do really snug it up high on the whipping mass which kind of 'hooks' it over the fabric at the foot end. Holds in place perfectly, the only times I've had a problem is when I didn't have the shockcord running over the footbox. Doesn't take long to discover.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Found a pic!

You can see behind the ugly temp. yellow ridgeline the beefy double cord lock that allows the easy adjustment. The 'other minor mod' can be seen also. Just two short lengths of shockcord that I tie together near the headend of the hammock; the cordlock has since gone bye-bye on that, just a knot nowadays. There were some initial problems getting a perfect seal under the shoulders (that have been solved) so the small lengths of cord were tied together to help pull the end of the UQ up snug. Worked like a charm.

Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Other than the cordlock and one other minor modification, the suspensions are identical. No, I don't go over the ridgeline with the shockcord. I do really snug it up high on the whipping mass which kind of 'hooks' it over the fabric at the foot end. Holds in place perfectly, the only times I've had a problem is when I didn't have the shockcord running over the footbox. Doesn't take long to discover.
    I'm with you - Over the footbox and around the 'whipped mass'
    I think I misunderstood Cavediver...I'm sure he will clarify

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    I'm with you - Over the footbox and around the 'whipped mass'
    I think I misunderstood Cavediver...I'm sure he will clarify
    Maybe I do need to clarify: I use the knotted end as a place to rest it on then the cord goes down more or less the top of the foot box but since I have put those cord locks on there it is easyer to sung it up on the foot end then when I am in the hammock i can use the other cord lock right there by my side to sung it there if needed.

hope that helped to clarify what I was saying

Hammock
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    Found a pic!

You can see behind the ugly temp. yellow ridgeline the beefy double cord lock that allows the easy adjustment. The 'other minor mod' can be seen also. Just two short lengths of shockcord that I tie together near the headend of the hammock; the cordlock has since gone bye-bye on that, just a knot nowadays. There were some initial problems getting a perfect seal under the shoulders (that have been solved) so the small lengths of cord were tied together to help pull the end of the UQ up snug. Worked like a charm.

that is how mine looks

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast