WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

misting sil nylon solution?

If you have a sil nylon tarp that tends to "mist" in heavy rain, is there a way to correct this problem? (I've tried silicon spray- it helps, but still mists a little bit) Has any one else ever had this problem?
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Maybe redoing the silicon entirely... In the diy section there is a thread of diluting 100% silicon caulk and paint thinner to make a silicon bath for your tarp... Supposedly works well even though I have not personally tried it...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Henny Asym
    Tarp
    Hex-Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Adjustable Slings
    I've not done a tarp that way, yet (others have, with success). I have done it on several smaller items like stuff sacks and Bishop bags, and it works fantastically.

Dilute goo from a tube of caulk (I think I used GE II clear) with mineral spirits in a pickle jar, until it's at about a milk-like consistency (maybe a bit thicker, if you need a really robust coating) and brush it onto the fabric liberally, spreading it around so it doesn't run. I only used it on my Hex Cat tarps to seal up the ridgeline seam, using a really thick dilution (egg nog consistency). I think the factory sil coating is much thinner than can be applied with a brush, making the fabric look much more consistent, but slightly less waterproof.

Good Luck!
    TCB
    www.hammockforums.net --I get it!

Hammock
    Dutch netless 9ft
    Tarp
    Zpack cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix UQ/ JRB TQ
    Suspension
    mule tape

Ah, misting, is it real?

Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    If you have a sil nylon tarp that tends to "mist" in heavy rain, is there a way to correct this problem? (I've tried silicon spray- it helps, but still mists a little bit) Has any one else ever had this problem?
    This comes up from time to time and soon someone will post about how it's condensation being knocked off by the rain. Misting is real, my friend, let's just put that on the record. I was so distressed by misting on one of my 3 sil-nylon tarps, that I was afraid to use any of them if it look like a hard rain was a possibility.

I bought a spinnaker fabric tarp- light, doesn't mist and the crinkly noise goes away pretty quickly. I made a tarp from tyvek kite fabric. It is also lighter than sil. I don't know if it mists yet, but I don't have faith in my attachments so I don't know if I'll use it again.

Then, there's cuben. I scrimped and saved and now, I'm the happy owner of a cuben tarp. I won't get a chance to try it until spring, but it's so light that I think it will float away if I don't secure it. It doesn't seem to stretch at all and I've been told that it absolutely won't mist.
    "A bore is a man who deprives you of solitude without providing you with company." Gian Vincenzo Gravina (1664 - 1718)

Hammock
    WBBB DL1.0
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 0*
    Suspension
    Web Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by CrankyOldGuy View Post
    I made a tarp from tyvek kite fabric. It is also lighter than sil. I don't know if it mists yet, but I don't have faith in my attachments so I don't know if I'll use it again. .
    Tyvek will mist. At least mine does.

Hammock
    Yukon Outfitters, ENO DN, NW Aspen
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Natural body fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelToe View Post
    Dilute goo from a tube of caulk (I think I used GE II clear) with mineral spirits in a pickle jar, until it's at about a milk-like consistency (maybe a bit thicker, if you need a really robust coating) and brush it onto the fabric liberally, spreading it around so it doesn't run.
    My first thought was "Yeah - I've got a gallon pickle jar that would do nicely.... "

I'm guessing I just need to fill the 'pickle jar' about 1/3 caulk and then add mineral spirits while stirring. Though 1/3 of the gallon jar may be more than I actually need.

GeezerScouter

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I have yet to see any misting. I almost want to have some just to see what people are talking about...but hope I continue to miss out. No misting from my BMJ so knock on wood!

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I have yet to see any misting. I almost want to have some just to see what people are talking about...but hope I continue to miss out. No misting from my BMJ so knock on wood!
    I too have not had any issues with misting with my tarp. Although I've only had one heavy downpour to test with. My tarp was made from seconds from DIY Gear Supply. In this case the seconds may be better than firsts. The only flaw I found was a blotch where the silicone was extra heavy (luckily this was easily placed in a scrap section). I didn't calculate if the coated material was more than 1.4 oz/yd**2
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

• + New Posts